The Student Room Group

Law work experience

Is it manageable doing law work experience and opportunities in year 12 without doing A level Law.

I was just wondering if doing them without a level made programs to do with law excessively harder.
Original post by nicesuperlight
Is it manageable doing law work experience and opportunities in year 12 without doing A level Law.

I was just wondering if doing them without a level made programs to do with law excessively harder.

Hi there

I do not think so. As a year 12 student, the employers would be aware of your experience and qualifications through reading your CV. They will most likely allocate suitable work for you based on what stage you are at in terms of your studies.

For me in year 13, when doing work experience I was only given basic tasks. (None of the tasks should require any academic knowledge from A levels Law, as the practice of law is quite different to textbooks). Rather for a year 12 student, i think the foucs is more on transferrable skills such as communication, research and organisation skills.

Hope this helps. :biggrin:
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by nicesuperlight

Hi @nicesuperlight!

I shouldn't think this would be a problem at all. Some providers/schemes for work experience relating to law do not offer such experiences to yr 12 students, however, plenty do! As long as they are open to have yr 12 students then they usually only want you to have a genuine interest in the course and don't mind about A level Law. In fact, lots of schools and colleges do not provide an A Level in Law (mine didnt'!) so they really don't tend to focus on this aspect at all.

Getting work experience at your stage is such a great idea and would really benefit you both academically and personally as it will help you to get a grip with the legal world as well as show you if this career really is for you! Also, when it comes to applying in future for degrees, experiences or jobs whether in law or not it will be so useful for putting on your CV to demonstrate a range of skills.

I hope this helps and good luck :smile:

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending