The Student Room Group

Advice for a Career Changer looking to qualify as a solicitor

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who might have a shared backstory to myself who has gone through the process of changing their career to become a solicitor. I'm currently researching the route one would have to take and needless to say, and I'm sure you'll agree, it is looking rather daunting!

A bit of background about my situation. I am currently a HR manager for an SME (no internal legal department etc.). Prior to this I studied my BSc in Business and Human Resource Management (1st), graduating in 2018. When COVID hit I decided to undertake an LLM in Employment Law (Distinction), graduating in Jan '23 - and ever since I've had this absolute desire to move into the legal profession, and after much research on the role I feel a solicitor would be an extremely challenging but also engaging and rewarding career. As it happens, I don't want to go into employment law rather I have a great interest in the criminal justice system, human rights, governmental work and so on, but I am fascinated in all aspects of law. I stumbled across the CPS legal trainee scheme and found the job description really called to me. That role however required a conversion course and for both SQE assessments to have been completed in advance of the scheme's start date (they open it every Spring for the following years Autumn intake).

So, on the back of that job description I've done some research on courses and what I need to do to get the ball rolling.

I've identified the University of Law's PGDL as a suitable conversion course. They run it part-time online and offer a scholarship for career changes at full-fee coverage if successful. This would be for 18 months.

The next step I've identified would be prep for both SQE1 and SQE2. I've seen some practice questions on the SRA website and I can see what everyone says the exams are tough. But I'm curious about what kind of prep is suitable. Some people seem to self-study, others go on prep courses with BPP or UoL. Would the PGDL give me a good working knowledge in advance of moving to a prep course or self-studying for the SQE?

Following this, my plan would then be to sit the two exams (or possibly SQE1 after an SQE1 prep course and likewise for SQE2), and if successful move on to apply for a trainee scheme of some description, preferably in a government department/body, like the CPS.

So, essentially, I would love it if anyone has any experience or advice they can share which may help give me some insight on whether my plan would be feasible. Any tips on what a career changer should consider (money naturally being one of the main factors already in my mind). Does my academic background stand me in good stead for the mammoth task ahead?

- Would someone who has done an LLM and then the PGDL be in a position to self study for the SQE?
- Any experience/insight on SQE2 and how you could potentially self-study for it?
- Can you recommend any study materials that would be advisable to get now to get a head start on some reading/self-study?
- Any overall advice for a career changer?

Be great to hear from you :smile:
Original post by LiamBGiles
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who might have a shared backstory to myself who has gone through the process of changing their career to become a solicitor. I'm currently researching the route one would have to take and needless to say, and I'm sure you'll agree, it is looking rather daunting!

A bit of background about my situation. I am currently a HR manager for an SME (no internal legal department etc.). Prior to this I studied my BSc in Business and Human Resource Management (1st), graduating in 2018. When COVID hit I decided to undertake an LLM in Employment Law (Distinction), graduating in Jan '23 - and ever since I've had this absolute desire to move into the legal profession, and after much research on the role I feel a solicitor would be an extremely challenging but also engaging and rewarding career. As it happens, I don't want to go into employment law rather I have a great interest in the criminal justice system, human rights, governmental work and so on, but I am fascinated in all aspects of law. I stumbled across the CPS legal trainee scheme and found the job description really called to me. That role however required a conversion course and for both SQE assessments to have been completed in advance of the scheme's start date (they open it every Spring for the following years Autumn intake).

So, on the back of that job description I've done some research on courses and what I need to do to get the ball rolling.

I've identified the University of Law's PGDL as a suitable conversion course. They run it part-time online and offer a scholarship for career changes at full-fee coverage if successful. This would be for 18 months.

The next step I've identified would be prep for both SQE1 and SQE2. I've seen some practice questions on the SRA website and I can see what everyone says the exams are tough. But I'm curious about what kind of prep is suitable. Some people seem to self-study, others go on prep courses with BPP or UoL. Would the PGDL give me a good working knowledge in advance of moving to a prep course or self-studying for the SQE?

Following this, my plan would then be to sit the two exams (or possibly SQE1 after an SQE1 prep course and likewise for SQE2), and if successful move on to apply for a trainee scheme of some description, preferably in a government department/body, like the CPS.

So, essentially, I would love it if anyone has any experience or advice they can share which may help give me some insight on whether my plan would be feasible. Any tips on what a career changer should consider (money naturally being one of the main factors already in my mind). Does my academic background stand me in good stead for the mammoth task ahead?

- Would someone who has done an LLM and then the PGDL be in a position to self study for the SQE?
- Any experience/insight on SQE2 and how you could potentially self-study for it?
- Can you recommend any study materials that would be advisable to get now to get a head start on some reading/self-study?

Hi @LiamBGiles

Firstly, congratulations on deciding to take this step! It is a big decision and I can understand why it seems daunting/ unclear as to which the best path to proceed on would be.

I studied the PGDL with Ulaw last year and really enjoyed it. I found that I was well-supported throughout and really benefited from the teaching style which relies on self-learning a lot of the material but putting it into practice and clarifying any misunderstandings in workshops under the guidance of a tutor. By doing the PGDL you would be very much ready to progress onto the SQE route (I personally am doing the BPC to become a barrister but the majority of my friends from the course are now preparing for the SQEs).

I have no personal experience of doing the SQEs, however, all of my friends have chosen to do the course with the university as preparation and have all said they wouldn't have managed it without the guided teaching. Doing the PGDL is the very barebones of the SQEs (all of the material learns is included in the SQE exams). However, there is so much more content that to self-study will likely be a mammoth task (although certainly not unattainable as some people do manage it).

I would recommend potentially looking into training contracts if money is the largest concern as this can mean that they will pay for both your tuition and then the exams. Of course, if you are set on the CPS route this may not be an option but is certainly worth some research into.

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend any study materials (although even if you do decide not to study with ULaw you can still buy their textbooks to direct yourself through the SQEs online which may be a good starting point). I think that with your academics you stand a good chance for success as long as you are committed to putting the hours in and have a real desire to pursue this career!

I hope this has helped a bit and good luck 🙂

Sophie
Reply 2
Original post by LiamBGiles
Hi Everyone,

Self-studying for the SQE is not really an option, the pass rate for SQE 1 is around 53%, and pass rates for those doing a prep course are up at 80 or 90, so self-study pass rate must be well below half. Unless you're super smart and motivated I'd aiim to do an SQE course to get through it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending