The Student Room Group

Should I get orthognathic surgery?

I have an overbite and my orthodontist has advised me to have orthognathic surgery...

But I've been researching it and it seems pretty scary :/
I just want to know has anyone had it done and was it worth it??
Reply 1
Pritt.stick
I have an overbite and my orthodontist has advised me to have orthognathic surgery...

I think you should definitely trust the advice of anonymous internet sttrangers over your medical professional.
Reply 2
Reue
I think you should definitely trust the advice of anonymous internet sttrangers over your medical professional.

I'm not asking people to make a decision for me..
I'm asking if anyone has had it and was it actually worth it...
Well, if it was me, I would only want it done if not doing so was going to have a substantial/noticeable effect on my health. Has the orthodontist explained why you need it/what will happen if you don't get it? Go and talk to them, it's surgery after all, it is a 'big deal', find out the details so you can make an informed decision.
At the same time, I would discourage you from avoiding it if you need it just because it seems scary.
Pritt.stick

But I've been researching it and it seems pretty scary :/
I just want to know has anyone had it done and was it worth it??

I have seen someone have it done and surgery does produce quite incredible results- it all depends on how much it affects you emotionally, if you're having difficulty chewing etc. Most people have an osteotomy at the age of 19-21 but you can always wait and have it done when you are older. The recovery period can be quite disruptive cos you are put on a strict liquid diet but after about a month you can go back to normal food.
My mum had it done in 1979 - she had quite a considerable amount of bone removed. I don't believe she has any jaw pain even thirty years on, and there are no visible scars. She remembers having her jaw wired shut for a period after the op, and my dad was quite shocked by the appearance, but I don't think she regrets the surgery at all. That was obv years ago and things have progressed since then - I did read an article recently on the use of special braces to correct overbite (not normal braces) that can have similar effects to the surgery, but obv with less trauma.
Hiii, I'm getting orthadontic surgery done in a few months, though not because of an overbite.
I was hesitant at first too but the results will be so worth it :biggrin:
At the moment I'm just in 'train-tracks' and had to get my wisdom teeth out last week (:redface:uch:smile:, so I don't have much firsthand advice. Though I would say don't be put off by the horror stories people write all over the internet.
Reply 7
Has any one got any before and after treatment picturess?..
Reply 8
I believe you need it in earliest possible time you can and need not worry at all. Just approach a skilled oral and maxillofacial surgeon for the surgery to be performed. As this is all in one efficient way for reduction in risks the surgery normally has, although not many. Particularly as it related to correction in facial structure by cutting bones and realigning skeleton in the right position.
more information on Orthognathic surgery
Reply 9
Original post by Reue

Thats not good advice. Had it done myself.
People are only looking for help from others that have had it done.:smile:
Original post by Becca-Sarah

Original post by Becca-Sarah
My mum had it done in 1979 - she had quite a considerable amount of bone removed. I don't believe she has any jaw pain even thirty years on, and there are no visible scars. She remembers having her jaw wired shut for a period after the op, and my dad was quite shocked by the appearance, but I don't think she regrets the surgery at all. That was obv years ago and things have progressed since then - I did read an article recently on the use of special braces to correct overbite (not normal braces) that can have similar effects to the surgery, but obv with less trauma.

I think I had those :holmes: I had some form of brace to correct an over/under bite so I wouldn't bite off my braces when they were put on. If this is the case, then I would have that tbh :yep:

It made an M shape infront of my two middle top teeth :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest