The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
I've bought a MBA through the education store, and just checked my coverage and it says I only have repair/service coverage for a year (i.e. complementary). I know Gofre mentioned an email I should be getting - will that email be a code I put in to increase it to three years, or what? Not sure if it's a mistake that I haven't got the extended coverage or if Apple will add it at a later date, how does it work?
Reply 181
Apple care is allocated to the machine. If it's on your receipt then you have it.

Rhys
Original post by Beska

Original post by Beska
I've bought a MBA through the education store, and just checked my coverage and it says I only have repair/service coverage for a year (i.e. complementary). I know Gofre mentioned an email I should be getting - will that email be a code I put in to increase it to three years, or what? Not sure if it's a mistake that I haven't got the extended coverage or if Apple will add it at a later date, how does it work?

No, it will just be confirmation that they've tacked it on, they do it automatically. You can check if it's been extended yourself by clicking on this link and putting in your serial number [=
Reply 183
Yup that's what I have been checking - it's not been added yet. I would have thought the sensible thing would be for them to do it automatically when you buy the product rather than having to wait a month or so for them to do it manually. Very un-Apple. :p:
Original post by Beska

Original post by Beska
Yup that's what I have been checking - it's not been added yet. I would have thought the sensible thing would be for them to do it automatically when you buy the product rather than having to wait a month or so for them to do it manually. Very un-Apple. :p:

I think it's so you don't get it activated then end up returning the mac, and you're covered for that month anyway so it's just maximising the warranty for us customers (:
Reply 185
Can somebody tell how much discount do a level students get?

I know university students get the most discount.
Original post by sammyvine

Can somebody tell how much discount do a level students get?

I know university students get the most discount.

About 6-7%, depending on model. You can check the prices here [=
http://store.apple.com/uk-edu
Reply 187
Wtf is that it?

I thought college discounts get 10% and university students 15%.

So basically my MBP will cost £939, that's rubbish.

I will have to wait another till years till i'm at uni to buy one :frown:

Wtf is that it?

I thought college discounts get 10% and university students 15%.

So basically my MBP will cost £939, that's rubbish.

I will have to wait another till years till i'm at uni to buy one :frown:

It could be worth asking in store in case that site's showing prices for another bracket of education, or log in via this page when you're in college to see what prices you're quoted.
Reply 189
Best go in store/

I hope the laptop get's at least £100 knocked off lol.
Original post by Beska

I got my new MBP at the end of July, they didn't update my coverage until last week. I got the email confirming it, so I think it does take a while.
I'm in limbo over which Macbook Pro to buy...

Its either gonna be:

-13" MBP model with the HDD upgrade to 500GB

or the

- Basic 15" MBP model

With me commuting to London from uni 3 out of 7 days a week I want to ideally get the 13" MBP for portability (I will only be bringing a holdall back with me to London), I currently have a HP 15" laptop, which keeps playing up, which I need to replace within the next 2 months...

However the 15" model appeals to me as there is the dedicated graphics card and it seems better in general... but the question is which one?

My main uses would be:
- Internet stuff (Social, research and downloads (not loads))
- Uni work stuff: Word, excel etc
- iTunes
- Watching video's via Youtube/iPlayer/Streams

Also can I get the HDD upgraded via someone else rather than Apple, or is it best to get it done through Apple?

Also I hear the Pro's might be refreshed before the end of 2011.... is that true or more rumour?
(edited 12 years ago)
Do they still do the reduced AppleCare in store, and is it still around £40 for 3 years? Looking at the 13" Pro, since the regular Macbook seems to have disappeared...
Original post by Forever a Gnome

Do they still do the reduced AppleCare in store, and is it still around £40 for 3 years? Looking at the 13" Pro, since the regular Macbook seems to have disappeared...

Ys they still do it (when bought with student discount), it's about £48 for the entry level Pro.
Original post by PurpleConverse
I'm in limbo over which Macbook Pro to buy...

Its either gonna be:

-13" MBP model with the HDD upgrade to 500GB

or the

- Basic 15" MBP model

With me commuting to London from uni 3 out of 7 days a week I want to ideally get the 13" MBP for portability (I will only be bringing a holdall back with me to London), I currently have a HP 15" laptop, which keeps playing up, which I need to replace within the next 2 months...

However the 15" model appeals to me as there is the dedicated graphics card and it seems better in general... but the question is which one?

My main uses would be:
- Internet stuff (Social, research and downloads (not loads))
- Uni work stuff: Word, excel etc
- iTunes
- Watching video's via Youtube/iPlayer/Streams

Also can I get the HDD upgraded via someone else rather than Apple, or is it best to get it done through Apple?

Also I hear the Pro's might be refreshed before the end of 2011.... is that true or more rumour?

A) You don't need dedicated graphics for any of the things you've listed there.
B) Yes, you can get the hard drive upgraded by somebody other than Apple. Any faults with the new HDD or as a result of the new HDD won't be covered by warranty, of course.
C) Early next year is when the next refresh is predicted, but for the things you want any difference in performance will be completely unnoticeable.

The entry level 13" Pro sounds fine for you.
Yay!

And have they actually discontinued the regular Macbook? It just kind of vanished...

Yay!

And have they actually discontinued the regular Macbook? It just kind of vanished...

Yep, they ceased production in July when the MacBook Airs and Mac Minis got refreshed [=
It makes me sad :frown:
Ah well, I'm fine getting the Pro :biggrin:
what's the difference with the 3 years warranty you get for free online?

Applecare is worldwide collect-return?
It makes me sad :frown:
Ah well, I'm fine getting the Pro :biggrin:

The Pro's better anyway =P

Original post by destination unknown
what's the difference with the 3 years warranty you get for free online?

Applecare is worldwide collect-return?

Yeah it's the collect-return and 24hr phone support. You only get a year of each with the extended warranty.

Latest

Trending

Trending