The Student Room Group

Interrailing/Eurailing Advice Superthread (IMPORTANT: FAQ at start)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by purplefrog
got 14 days (using the 10 in 22 pass), think we're close to finalising the route - what do people think of this:

3 days Rome (2 nights)
2 days Munich (1 night)
3 days Prague (2 nights)
2 days Vienna (1 night)
3 days in Switzerland (Interlaken, most likely) (2/3 nights)

and then take trains to Paris and catch Eurostar to London.

I agree with what people are saying about getting the 5 in 10 day pass, much cheaper. Also for short distance day trips it'll probably be cheaper to buy them separately than wasting a day of your inter-rail ticket, definitely in Italy, maybe not in Switzerland.

Speaking of Switzerland, I disagree with people saying to cut it out. Yes it is a very expensive country, and you'll need to budget for that, but surely the point of any trip is to have a good experience. Switzerland is a beautiful country, particularly around Interlaken, and there's loads to do there.

If you're only going to Paris to get the train home, why not get a cheap Easyjet flight back from Geneva? That would free up some time to see somewhere you do want to be.
Original post by fiona344
I agree with what people are saying about getting the 5 in 10 day pass, much cheaper. Also for short distance day trips it'll probably be cheaper to buy them separately than wasting a day of your inter-rail ticket, definitely in Italy, maybe not in Switzerland.

Speaking of Switzerland, I disagree with people saying to cut it out. Yes it is a very expensive country, and you'll need to budget for that, but surely the point of any trip is to have a good experience. Switzerland is a beautiful country, particularly around Interlaken, and there's loads to do there.

If you're only going to Paris to get the train home, why not get a cheap Easyjet flight back from Geneva? That would free up some time to see somewhere you do want to be.

I think we'll still be sticking to the 10 in 22 purely for flexibility and the fact that paying for domestic railway day trips (return tickets) will tot up to more than saved with the 5 in 10 pass. Thanks for a the suggestions though :smile: we have thought about it a lot and feel it's worth sparing the extra money and making savings elsewhere. A security so to speak.

And massive thanks for the Easyjet heads up from Geneva - will defo look into that :biggrin:
Reply 382
Original post by purplefrog
what do you suggest to do in Munich for 3 days or so?
at the moment, I've got looking at the markets and city centre - X
seeing cathedrals/churches - X
visiting the park or olympic village perhaps
going to one of the beer houses - X

to be honest, the ones marked X, I predict will only take a day max. The second day is just for additional browsing and exploring...
I'm not into the whole clubbing scene btw. But suggestions of things to do/see/go to are warmly welcomed

I'd recommend the Residenz (former home of the Bavarian royals), located in the city centre, there's over 100 rooms to see, full of every type of grandeur and extravagance from the past, it really is a fascinating place to explore.

Other places:
BMW musuem
Allianz arena guided tour
For anyone else out there planning their interrail trip, here are some websites im using to help plan mine.

www.hostelworld.com -- great for finding and booking hostels to fit a budget and rating
www.eurail.com/planning -- great for working out train routes/times etc
www.wikitravel.org -- good for typing in countries/cities and finding out what to do/see/go to there
www.tripadvisor.com -- awesome forums and website for anything related to travel
www.lonelyplanet.com -- same as above (thorn tree forum is good)
www.forum.interrail.net -- nearly essential for finding out about reservations, surcharges etc. for routes

hope that you find some of this useful :smile:
Reply 384
The other day, I came across a website called interrailingpackages.com, and they plan a route and book your trains and accomodation for you which sounds ideal for someone as disorganised as I am, yet there is something about the website that seems somewhat dodgy... I don't know, perhaps it's just a gut feeling. Also, they're not registered with the British Travel Association, which means that there's no insurance lest they go bust after you've booked, which is quite worrying. Has anyone had any experiences with them before, and if so, would you recommend?
I don't know what to do for next year. I'm torn between Interrailing or going to the Coachella music festival in April 2012. I think I'd end up spending about the same amount of money for each thing. But obviously Interrailing would last longer.

I've just never been to a music festival before and Coachella looks like something you should do when you're young and mental ... :colonhash: I don't know. If I find a job soon and save up, maybe I could do both. :beard:

When is the best month to go Interrailing? I want go in either June, July or August. :smile: I'm at uni the rest of the time.
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
I don't know what to do for next year. I'm torn between Interrailing or going to the Coachella music festival in April 2012. I think I'd end up spending about the same amount of money for each thing. But obviously Interrailing would last longer.

I've just never been to a music festival before and Coachella looks like something you should do when you're young and mental ... :colonhash: I don't know. If I find a job soon and save up, maybe I could do both. :beard:

When is the best month to go Interrailing? I want go in either June, July or August. :smile: I'm at uni the rest of the time.

My friend and I went interrailing end of August-beginning of Sept, because we had uni too. It was great because most school holidays had finished, including the countries where we had been, but it was still seriously hot some days that it felt like a proper summer hols. I think the best month out of those 3 you mentioned would be June, it's a bit like September but possibly more busy with people heading off on early hols.
Original post by Formerly LieDown
My friend and I went interrailing end of August-beginning of Sept, because we had uni too. It was great because most school holidays had finished, including the countries where we had been, but it was still seriously hot some days that it felt like a proper summer hols. I think the best month out of those 3 you mentioned would be June, it's a bit like September but possibly more busy with people heading off on early hols.

Thanks. :biggrin: I think July would be far too hot anyway.
going away in a few days. Going to be fun living on average of 10 euro a day, couch surfing is definitely getting a hammering!
Original post by adam_zed
going away in a few days. Going to be fun living on average of 10 euro a day, couch surfing is definitely getting a hammering!

Where are you going ? :smile:
Original post by Cheeese589
Where are you going ? :smile:

round the balkans, so I should be able to just about get away with living on so little! hopefully I will be able to sleep rough once or twice if the weather is hot enough! are you going away?
round the balkans, so I should be able to just about get away with living on so little! hopefully I will be able to sleep rough once or twice if the weather is hot enough! are you going away?

I envy you ! :L i plan on going to macedonia/Serbia etc some time in the near future hopefully !

Yea, im off to Central europe e.g. Germany, Austria, Czech Republic etc in September :biggrin: cant wait !

Do you travel a lot?
I really wanted to go to Rome but it's so awkward to get to I think i'll give it a holiday of its own in the future.

edit.

I think i've established this as my initial incredibly over ambitious, debt inducing, route:

Barcelona ( night 1 + 2 ) >
Montpelier ( night 3) >
Marseille > Cannes ( night 4 ) >
Pisa > Rome (Night 5 + 6 + 7) >
Milan (night 8)
Zurich ( Night 9) >
Munich ( Night 10 + 11) >
Prague ( night 12 + 13 ) >
Berlin ( Night 14 + 15) >
Amsterdam ( 15 + 16) >
Belgium > London
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Cheeese589
I envy you ! :L i plan on going to macedonia/Serbia etc some time in the near future hopefully !

Yea, im off to Central europe e.g. Germany, Austria, Czech Republic etc in September :biggrin: cant wait !

Do you travel a lot?

Belgrade is awesome. even though it was snowing when I went. I would definitely check montenegro out! Its hard to get to (9 hours from Belgrade), even so its so worth it. It is such a beautiful country and I hope to check out the coast soon. The serbian and montenegran people are so friendly as well!

Sounds awesome. I always wanted to check out CR. If you arent planning to already, I would recommend Munich, it is one of my favourite cities ever! Are you interailing?

Not as much as I would like and so far I have kept it to central/eastern europe as it is cheaper (but in no way less culteral or attractive). What about you?
Belgrade is awesome. even though it was snowing when I went. I would definitely check montenegro out! Its hard to get to (9 hours from Belgrade), even so its so worth it. It is such a beautiful country and I hope to check out the coast soon. The serbian and montenegran people are so friendly as well!

Sounds awesome. I always wanted to check out CR. If you arent planning to already, I would recommend Munich, it is one of my favourite cities ever! Are you interailing?

Not as much as I would like and so far I have kept it to central/eastern europe as it is cheaper (but in no way less culteral or attractive). What about you?

Yea i wanna go to Belgrade, what about Novi Sad? you ever been there?
is that by bus or train? cos i thought you could fly there with British airways?
Sounds really lush though do enough people speak english in these type of countries though?

I've already planned to go to Munich, thanks for the recomendation though, heard good things about it :P
I haven't really started travelling yet, im finishing off my A2'S and then having a gap year next year to travel september will be the first proper travelling for me apart from family holidays here and there, but hopefully i'll have enough by then to spend maybe 3 months travelling including the month in September

Have you ever been to Romania/Ukraine/Russia ? i really want to visit them sometime too lol, but heard Russia i.e. Moscow is quite expensive?
Almost finalised my trip :biggrin: just coming close to booking things now...

I have a question on security at hostels. Where did most people store their luggage at hostels? I know some hostels provide lockers which I can put my bag into... but for places which do not, what safety measures can be taken to ensure my bag or its contents doesn't get stolen? I will padlock the zips of my bag as a safety measure.

Any recommendations as to what type of bag (for main luggage) I should take while travelling. This my first time abroad in years so I have no idea :redface: I was thinking of a small wheely bag (any suggestions which one to buy that's quite cheap?) and then taking a rucksack to carry round with me for the day.
Do you think you need to do any training for InterRailing? I imagine it'd take a lot of stamina to do so much travelling/walking in such a short space of time. :holmes:
Wow Booking my flight to Barcelona tomorrow! This is crazy!!

Edit:

Eurostar - Amsterdam 4th July [BOOKED]

Barcelona - London City Airport 27th (it was the cheapest) [BOOKED]

..the rest in between is a bit of a mystery :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm planning an interail trip with a bunch of friends too, is it too late for a trip in June?

Quick Reply

Latest