The Student Room Group

Concerned about tomorrow

I’m predicted AAB for computer science, electronics, and mathematics respectively. And my offer is BBB - Malleable, for Cardiff university - so I’ll currently be writing out a clearing application, worried sick. If anyone has any experience, words of encouragement or doubt, and/or similar circumstances. Post here.

Thanks, Joe Devlin.
Original post by JoeDevlin_ms
I’m predicted AAB for computer science, electronics, and mathematics respectively. And my offer is BBB - Malleable, for Cardiff university - so I’ll currently be writing out a clearing application, worried sick. If anyone has any experience, words of encouragement or doubt, and/or similar circumstances. Post here.

Thanks, Joe Devlin.

Hi @JoeDevlin_ms! Clearing can seem like a daunting process, where you’re being forced to make big decisions really quickly. It’s important to step back and think about whether the place you’ve been offered is right for you- remember that there are lots of places out there and you shouldn’t feel rushed into doing a degree you’re not actually going to enjoy.
It’s worth getting yourself organised before the results come out- make sure you’ve got pen and paper to hand, and that you’ve got the hotline numbers for some of the universities you’re considering ready.
Good luck tomorrow!

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Thanks, Joe Devlin.

Do you think you’ll get lower than BBB?
Reply 3
Which course are you applying for?

Thanks, Joe Devlin.

Hey @JoeDevlin_ms :smile:

Just wanted to say a huge good luck for tomorrow, and I hope you're proud of yourself no matter what grades you receive! It's such a nerve wracking time, but just believe in yourself and know that you put your all into your exams/coursework and be proud!

How are you spending the day today? If you can, lean on your family and friends for emotional support and advice during this time, try do something to take your mind off tomorrow.

Wishing you the best of luck! :smile:

Becky
I thought that I was going to fail my A Levels, so I made a ranked list of universities in Clearing. Indeed, when I got my results, both my firm and insurance universities rejected me, unlike everyone else in my school year. My teacher got me on to the "Clearing Plus", but I didn't want the types of courses it was showing me that much. Then they looked at my list, and were surprised Lancaster university was on it. I got in during the phone call simply based on my A Levels. After that, I kept deliberating whether to make more phone calls, but decided against it because another Clearing university wouldn't be better. Although I missed some of the things I wanted from the university because I applied so late, my experience was mostly the same as a student who applied normally.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
(edited 8 months ago)
Hey Joe :smile: I'll leave the clearing/admissions advice to the experts on here, but just wanted to wish you the best of luck! It's really normal to feel worried ahead of results day and I know most people will run over all possible circumstances in their head in the days beforehand. Try to take some time to switch off from it all if you can - even if it's only for a short while. Watch your favourite show or movie, have a bath, make yourself a cuppa - that kind of thing. Just completing your A-levels is an incredible achievement and you should be proud, regardless of whatever your results turn out to be.

In terms of thinking about unis - my best advice is to do what you feel is right for you. I also totally agree with Nellie - it's great to be prepared and try not to rush into any decisions.

We are all rooting for you!

Nicola :smile:

Thanks, Joe Devlin.
Hi Joe! Is there something in particular that is making you fear that you won't meet your offer? Have you been feeling this way since you sat the exams or is it a fear that has only kicked in as we get closer to Results Day?

Thanks, Joe Devlin.

You've got this Joe! Thousands of people go through Clearing every year so you're not alone. If you need some calming music to listen to whilst you continue your application/do some research, you can listen to our Relaxing on Results Day Playlist here.

Thanks, Joe Devlin.

Hi there Joe! I hope the advice so far has helped ease some of the stress you're feeling:redface:

Rest assured that each University is there to help you! We understand that Clearing and Results Day can be a stressful time, but we all will try our best to support you, in any way that we can!

Many students come through Clearing for a variety of reasons but everyone - regardless of how they got into University - starts from square one together at Uni:biggrin: One of my colleagues came to University through Clearing and you can read more about their story and other students here:u:

I'd say for words of encouragement, there are some great threads on TSR with resources, contact points, and FAQ answers!
UCAS Terms And Abbreviations Explained
Clearing FAQs
Results Day: What to Expect and What Next?

Remember that you've got this and to #BeResultsProud for all that you'll achieve regardless!

- Rose:rose:, De Montfort University Rep.
Call us for a chat on 0116 257 7000:call:
Or WhatsApp on 07970 655 800📱
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 10

Thanks, Joe Devlin.

How are you worried with those predictions? It clearly seems like you know what you're doing.

Thanks, Joe Devlin.

Hey there @JoeDevlin_ms !

I think the thing to think about is that it's all over and done with now. You got through the exam season which is a very stressful time and the fact you came out the other side of it is very commendable. The fact you have such high predicted grades in itself should be a sign to you that you're obviously a very bright individual. That means your teachers know your ability. Sometimes people don't do well in exam conditions and exams aren't for every type of learner. Grades don't justify your skill and ability, they justify how well you work under pressured conditions which isn't everything in this life. You know you're smart because of your predicted grades and because you got into your Sixth Form College in the first place. It's just fear of the unknown making you worry for tomorrow. It's a feeling of dread purely because you don't know what the outcome would be. My advice is to keep yourself busy for the evening to keep those worries at bay and go in with no expectations for yourself tomorrow. A clearing application wouldn't hurt but imagine how satisfying it's going to be if you don't even need it. You can be so proud of yourself either way.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 12
Original post by Atthe4
How are you worried with those predictions? It clearly seems like you know what you're doing.

My thoughts exactly.

Thanks, Joe Devlin.

Your life won't be defined by your A level grades. You may get in if you mss your offer - I think most people have doubts.

I'm a teacher and still go through this for my students every year :smile:

Thanks, Joe Devlin.

Hi Joe,
Clearing is not the daunting process it's been made out to be and is essentially just a way for universities to fill up places on courses. Have all your information to hand when you make the call, stay calm and answer the questions that are asked and fingers crossed you'll get your offer :smile:
Many, many students go through the same process every year and go on to have great experiences. We totally get that it can feel stressful the night before but just breathe and take it one step at a time! :smile:
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @JoeDevlin_ms! Clearing can seem like a daunting process, where you’re being forced to make big decisions really quickly. It’s important to step back and think about whether the place you’ve been offered is right for you- remember that there are lots of places out there and you shouldn’t feel rushed into doing a degree you’re not actually going to enjoy.
It’s worth getting yourself organised before the results come out- make sure you’ve got pen and paper to hand, and that you’ve got the hotline numbers for some of the universities you’re considering ready.
Good luck tomorrow!

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Thanks, Joe Devlin.

Hello Joe,

Best of luck today! Receiving A-Level results can be extremely nerve wracking and overwhelming. Just remember to take a step back and consider all options. Even if plans change, being open minded is really important and crucial for choosing you next steps. Be sure to reach out for advice :smile:

Scarlett

Thanks, Joe Devlin.

Hi there @JoeDevlin_ms, :smile:

Wishing you the best of luck today. You've done all the hard work and there are plenty of options available to you. It's also perfectly normal to feel worried but please be assured that Clearing is not as bad as people may think. Universities are here to guide you through the process, if you need to give them a call for some advice.

All the best,
Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending