The Student Room Group

Interrailing/Eurailing Advice Superthread (IMPORTANT: FAQ at start)

Scroll to see replies

I am going tomorrow xD
hi Guys when is the best time to do Interrailing.

I ask because i would assume it would be may-october time, as this is when students are on holiday

I was going to do around 2 weeks in xmas, will it be busy? Just if I go alone I would like to meet people.
Is anyone mixing up some Couch Surfing into their Interrailing?
Original post by Samuelv-37
I am going tomorrow xD

Where too? if you dont mind me asking!

Have a nice time, you 'll have to tell us what it is like when you come back :biggrin:
Hey guys. Would much appreciate it if you could go to www.facebook.com/inspirevolunteering and press like!

fellow uni student! trying to keep his job :0 x
Reply 585
Is it necessary to have train reservations for each train journey of the trip?
Original post by cfc1992
Is it necessary to have train reservations for each train journey of the trip?

nope... only on most sleeper trains or really long journey trains is reservations compulsory, the rest won't need any sort of booking.
Reply 587
Original post by purplefrog
nope... only on most sleeper trains or really long journey trains is reservations compulsory, the rest won't need any sort of booking.

Ok thanks.
Hey all.

I'm interrailing for 6 weeks, beggining on the start of August. I really can't wait! I start of in Amsterdam and end in Croatia, but other than that haven't planned anywhere specific. I've got a decent idea of where I want to go though.

Any hidden gems I should be aware of :smile:?
Original post by trublu1883
Hey all.

I'm interrailing for 6 weeks, beggining on the start of August. I really can't wait! I start of in Amsterdam and end in Croatia, but other than that haven't planned anywhere specific. I've got a decent idea of where I want to go though.

Any hidden gems I should be aware of :smile:?

Go to Split when you get to Croatia! Such a nice place to relax so it is great for the end of a trip, and so beautiful. I would go back any day.

If you haven't already considered it, and you can, go to Bosnia. It might be out of your way if you are coming down from Amsterdam. But it is beautiful, so interesting, so cheap, and I loved it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Anyone have any hostel recommendations for Amsterdam, Hamburg, Berlin, Prague, Bratislava, Vienna, Munich, Strasbourg and Paris, going late august and excited! Did you all book in advance?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 591
leaving next sunday :smile: going split > zadar > budapest > vienna > prague > amsterdam cannot wait !! if anyone knows of anything that we should specifically do/ see in these places let me know !
Original post by #jj#
leaving next sunday :smile: going split > zadar > budapest > vienna > prague > amsterdam cannot wait !! if anyone knows of anything that we should specifically do/ see in these places let me know !

I'm sure you've already ready about these, but go and see the palace ruins in Split. Go for a swim as well, the water is so beautiful! And if you have time try to go out and see some islands, it's inexpensive, quick, and a good break from the same place if you are there for a while. And in Zadar, definitely go and see the sea organ steps. Go and see them when the sun is setting as it is just beautiful. There are some more islands up there as well.

Basically in Croatia we spent all day wondering around the old cities, sunbathing, and the evenings sitting in restaurants/bars and drinking wine. I loved it!
Original post by harvie_316
hi Guys when is the best time to do Interrailing.

I ask because i would assume it would be may-october time, as this is when students are on holiday

I was going to do around 2 weeks in xmas, will it be busy? Just if I go alone I would like to meet people.

??
Original post by Formerly LieDown
Go to Split when you get to Croatia! Such a nice place to relax so it is great for the end of a trip, and so beautiful. I would go back any day.

If you haven't already considered it, and you can, go to Bosnia. It might be out of your way if you are coming down from Amsterdam. But it is beautiful, so interesting, so cheap, and I loved it.

Our flight back is direct from Split, so it's perfect! The other place in Croatia I want to check out is Dubrovnik.

Were there any particular cities in Bosnia you preferred? It's definitely a possibility to visit!
Original post by trublu1883
Our flight back is direct from Split, so it's perfect! The other place in Croatia I want to check out is Dubrovnik.

Were there any particular cities in Bosnia you preferred? It's definitely a possibility to visit!

That's perfect then. It is a nice place to unwind particularly if you have been in slightly more 'challenging' places, e.g. Bosnia. Not to say you shouldn't go to Bosnia though, it is beautiful.

We only went to two places, which was a shame, but we were on a short trip. You should definitely see Sarajevo, it is just so unlike any other European capital you will see. To hear the imam's doing the call to prayer from the tens of mosques surrounding you as the sun goes down, it really is hard to believe you are in Europe. And they have amazing street food and the people are very friendly.

Mostar is beautiful as well. Go to the bridge and watch the divers jump from the Stari Most bridge. It's also full of bullet shells and bullet holes, so you never forget that you are in place touched by recent history as well as ancient history.

One thing about Bosnia that is hard is the beggers. The half naked begging children are awful to see but you just have to take a deep breath.

Definitely go if you can though!
Original post by komovalondon
Anyone have any hostel recommendations for Amsterdam, Hamburg, Berlin, Prague, Bratislava, Vienna, Munich, Strasbourg and Paris, going late august and excited! Did you all book in advance?

I might be able to help you with that one when I get back from Berlin on the 24th.
Original post by komovalondon

Berlin - Wombats. Great location, great rooms, awesome bathrooms (nicer than most hotels), and if you like to party then the bar there gets pretty wild.

Prague - St Cristophers or Czech Inn. Both great hostels although Czech Inn is a little out of the centre, probably the nicest rooms out of any hostel i've been to in Europe though.

Vienna - Red Carpet Hostel. Nice rooms, pretty quiet but its got a bar that is good to chill in and smoke a sheesha pipe if you want. Its also right across the road from the Travel Shack which was my favourite bar of the whole interrail trip. 2 mins walk from the train station aswell

Munich - Jaegers Hostel - Pretty cheap, great location (literally across the road from the train station), really nice rooms with loads of space and great bathrooms. Awesome bar that gets real busy and is great for meeting other travellers.
Wow. Going for a month, and thought I could get by without a pass. Impulse bought one now, lol, going to get it delivered to my old French address where I'll stay from tomorrow night. 10 in 22 days.

Leaving for France tomorrow evening, will probably leave Avignon for Strasbourg on the 26/27th, will then go straight up to Cologne with a day trip to Düsseldorf, then probably Berlin-Dresden-Pils-Prague-Krakow-Brno-Vienna-'Slava-Budapest.

Might go to Amsterdam if I can be arsed, might not.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 599
Going tomorrow!

15 days cont., fly to Stockholm tomorrow, stay there until the 24th, then Berlin, Prague, Bratislava, Budapest, Belgrade, Zagreb, Ljubljana, Munich and Amsterdam. Then ferry home.

It is alot, but we think we can do it:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest