The Student Room Group

Interrailing/Eurailing Advice Superthread (IMPORTANT: FAQ at start)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .Scout.
I second Vulpes, make sure you take a warm hoody or something. I found that quite a lot of trains were freeeeeezing - especially night trains! Plus, I used my hoody as a make shift pillow when I needed a little nap on journeys.

Usually I would recommend getting a travel card such as the Fairfx card as they're usually the cheapest, safest and most convenient way of spending money abroad. You don't get charged for using the card in shops and the withdrawral fee for cash is much cheaper then using a credit/debit card. Also there's the reassurance that if you lose your card, they can send another one out to you within a few days.
However, I know my fairfx card could only be used in euros/dollars so may not be any good for you if you're planning to go to Poland/Hungary etc.

This is a really good link which will expain credit card charges/pre paid travel cards: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money

Thanks for the advice! :smile: That's the link I used and I settled on the credit card because a few of the countries I'm planning on going to don't use the Euro so the pre-paid cards won't work. :frown:
Original post by .Scout.
I'd be more than happy to write one. If anyone wants to contribute, let me know!

There isn't one at the moment but I'm going to write one. Hopefully this will make searching for answers easier and it just means that we don't have to answer the same questions page in page out :tongue:.

Yeah definitely still up for that :smile: I think we should just include as much basic stuff as possible, I know there's the 'guide to interrail' wiki page, but it doesn't seem to include all that much. Probably stuff like how the pass works and the different ones available, fairfx/caxton cards, how much money you might need per day, useful websites to plan with e.g raildude, deutsche bahn, hostelbookers, tripadvisor.. umm.. how to find out if your train needs a reservation, how to avoid extra reservation charges, how to book night trains... I'll probably think of tons more later! Maybe even a list of places to visit / example routes? I'll be happy to add as much content as I can :biggrin: I'm not a super-expert or anything but I feel I've definitely caught the interrail bug now!!!
Original post by Vulpes
Just got back from a month-long backpacking trip round Europe!!! The Eurail pass was AMAZING and SO WORTH IT! :awesome:

YAY! What was your route?! :smile: I went at the beginning of July for 3 weeks and absolutely can't wait to do another! Was it your first time too?
Reply 1383
Original post by TheRandomer
YAY! What was your route?! :smile: I went at the beginning of July for 3 weeks and absolutely can't wait to do another! Was it your first time too?

It was!!! (Not my first time in europe, but my first backpacking trip ever!)

My route was all over the place. Ended up in random places like Lugano and La Spiez Centrale (idiot woman at the reception was supposed to book Spiez...)

Covered: Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland, Netherlands, Denmark (in that order) :smile:
Original post by Vulpes
It was!!! (Not my first time in europe, but my first backpacking trip ever!)

My route was all over the place. Ended up in random places like Lugano and La Spiez Centrale (idiot woman at the reception was supposed to book Spiez...)

Covered: Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland, Netherlands, Denmark (in that order) :smile:

Awesome! :smile: Random places sounds fun, more of an epic adventure haha!
Would you recommend any places in particular? And is Switzerland worth the crazy expensive hostels/food etc?
Reply 1385
Original post by TheRandomer
Awesome! :smile: Random places sounds fun, more of an epic adventure haha!
Would you recommend any places in particular? And is Switzerland worth the crazy expensive hostels/food etc?

Definitely recommend you check out: http://www.youthhostel.ch/en/home

I stayed with them in Interlaken and it was great :biggrin:

Hmm.. Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt are some really nice places to visit in Switzerland. I would definitely recommend you to climb Mount Titlus in Lucerne.

Marseille and Monaco (day trip) were one of my favourite places in Europe. The food there is amazing as well! :smile:
Hey, I'm going interrailing next summer and I'm trying to decide between going to Naples and Florence... what would people recommend? :smile:
Reply 1387
Original post by 1overcosc
Hey, I'm going interrailing next summer and I'm trying to decide between going to Naples and Florence... what would people recommend? :smile:

Florence is lovely, but it can be covered in a day if you rent a bike. The boboli gardens aren't as spectacular as they sound either. How long are you thinking of staying for? :smile:
Original post by Vulpes
Definitely recommend you check out: http://www.youthhostel.ch/en/home

I stayed with them in Interlaken and it was great :biggrin:

Hmm.. Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt are some really nice places to visit in Switzerland. I would definitely recommend you to climb Mount Titlus in Lucerne.

Marseille and Monaco (day trip) were one of my favourite places in Europe. The food there is amazing as well! :smile:

See I really, really wanted to like Marseille but I dunno, there was something about it that I just didn't like. I really can't put my finger on it. What abouts did you like about it? I'm actually moving to Provence in 2 weeks so I'll undoubtably find myself in Marseille again...it would be great if you could recommend stuff!
And yes, Monaco is lush. As is Nice.
Reply 1389
Original post by .Scout.
See I really, really wanted to like Marseille but I dunno, there was something about it that I just didn't like. I really can't put my finger on it. What abouts did you like about it? I'm actually moving to Provence in 2 weeks so I'll undoubtably find myself in Marseille again...it would be great if you could recommend stuff!
And yes, Monaco is lush. As is Nice.

I really like yachts (being a sailor myself). :colondollar:

The turquoise waters are also really beautiful. Hmm... Things I liked about it will include: the seafood, french wine, snorkelling, beaches, friendly atmosphere etc

I definitely recommend you take a boat trip out! Not necessarily to fish / swim, but just to enjoy the sights and chill. The seafood is absolutely amazing! Love the mussels and salmon there, one of the best I've ever had! (I would advise you to avoid the traditional fish soup tho, as it tastes horrible imo.)

:smile:
Original post by Vulpes
Florence is lovely, but it can be covered in a day if you rent a bike. The boboli gardens aren't as spectacular as they sound either. How long are you thinking of staying for? :smile:

Any experience of Naples? Probably only a day in whichever one, Naples or Florence, going to spend longer in the bigger places further on the route :smile:
Reply 1391
Original post by 1overcosc
Any experience of Naples? Probably only a day in whichever one, Naples or Florence, going to spend longer in the bigger places further on the route :smile:

None unfortunately. I was only there for a train change so I didn't really get to visit the city. :sad:
I found Florence very pretty but it didn't have a lot of 'pizzaz' for me personally. I'd recommend it but only for maybe 1 full day or so, to just have a wander around, see the bridge and visit the accademia. Naples is supposed to be cool but full of crime and a bit grim in places. How about Sorrento or somewhere?

Edit: Only just saw you said 'only for 1 day', so in that case Florence is perfect! :smile: Plus the train around Florence was really pretty, very Tuscan! Lots of sunflowers too.
(edited 11 years ago)
I went Interrailing. Got back a few days ago. I was gone for 5 weeks and it was the best 5 weeks of my life.

If you're thinking about going, stop thinking and get going.

If anyone has any questions I'll be happy to help if I can.

Montenegro and Slovenia were my favorite places.
Original post by pizzle223

What were your favourite places in Slovenia? And what's it like in general, all information is useful information!
I'm looking at going through there and looking at staying in Ljubljana (sp) and going to Lake Bled then maybe Lake Bohinj and the Skocjan Caves!

Out of curiosity where else did you go?
I went Interrailing. Got back a few days ago. I was gone for 5 weeks and it was the best 5 weeks of my life.

If you're thinking about going, stop thinking and get going.

If anyone has any questions I'll be happy to help if I can.

Hey! I'm going in the summer next year :smile: when you have time would you be able to say where you went?? If you went again, which places would you definitely see again and which would you leave out? :smile:
AAAAH I so badly want to go again - NOW!!!
Original post by shaun12345
What were your favourite places in Slovenia? And what's it like in general, all information is useful information!
I'm looking at going through there and looking at staying in Ljubljana (sp) and going to Lake Bled then maybe Lake Bohinj and the Skocjan Caves!

Out of curiosity where else did you go?

Loved the Skocjan Caves! Well worth a visit. And Lake Bohinj/Bled of course. Also enjoyed Predjama castle & caves.

I really wanted to like Montenegro but I wasn't a huge fan. Where did you visit that you really liked? Had some fun/strange experiences though, visiting an Orthodox monastery (Ostrog) and camping in someone's vineyard!
Reply 1398
Me and a friend are looking to go travelling within Europe.

We look to follow this route.

Flight to Lisbon.

Lisbon -> Madrid -> Barcelona -> Nice -> Milan -> Rome -> Berlin -> Amsterdam -> Paris -> HOME.

Can someone tell me if that is possible to do within a 31 day period? and how much money (£) would be required.

Thanks!
Regarding sleeper trains, do you need / would you recommend booking these in advance or is it generally OK to turn up at the station and buy the tickets there on the day?

Quick Reply

Latest