The Student Room Group

The system is BULLCRAP

I talked to a guy who works at the learning centre about capping assignments when received late after a specified time (2pm) and he said that if assignments are late by seconds to a minute they will get capped.

This is BULLCRAP and it doesn't take a slight of intelligence to figure out why the system is too strict or unfair.

Have you ever hand in an assignment and found out that the work you handed in gets capped to an abysmal 40% even if you're a tiny a bit late?

I mean seriously, its not someone's fault for handing in their work late by a 1 SECOND because of uncontrolled issues/circumstances like, I don't know, malfunctioned uni printers?

Scroll to see replies

Late is late.

They will simply say "others did it on time, why can't you?" Sucks yes, but thats what its all about.
There's got to be a cutoff somewhere...
If you get lenience handing it in a minute late, then someone who hands it in two minutes late will want lenience as well etc.

Easier just to have a strict cut off. If you're 2 seconds past it, then tough.
Reply 3
No, it doesn't work quite like that. In practice, they'll be fair and 'let you off' if it's a few minutes after the deadline - they won't cap; the time is written down etc. They will tell everyone however; when it's late, it's late out of policy because they don't want it late. But yeah, when it stops becoming reasonable, a deadline is a deadline.
Reply 4
HARRY PUTAH
Late is late.

They will simply say "others did it on time, why can't you?" Sucks yes, but thats what its all about.

Sure, but come on, a few seconds to a few minutes is hardly sginificant.
Reply 5
TerryTerry
No, it doesn't work quite like that. In practice, they'll be fair and 'let you off' if it's a few minutes after the deadline - they won't cap; the time is written down etc. But yeah, when it stops becoming reasonable, a deadline is a deadline.

Well that didn't happen to me today. I was only 3 minutes late because of printer issues (2 were available, 1 malfunctioned) and the fact that I had to go all the way up to the library just to stable my work.
Reply 6
EvenStevens
There's got to be a cutoff somewhere...
If you get lenience handing it in a minute late, then someone who hands it in two minutes late will want lenience as well etc.

Easier just to have a strict cut off. If you're 2 seconds past it, then tough.

I think common sense is out of the question.
Reply 7
So, uh, surely there's an argument here for not printing out your work at the last minute
i can't take anyone who says 'bullcrap' seriously.
WildStriker
I think common sense is out of the question.

I think learning to organise your time better is a more sensible method.
Reply 10
around
So, uh, surely there's an argument here for not printing out your work at the last minute

I don't know people's personal credential. But in my case, the driver in my computer doesn't work and is somehow corrupted. Printing not possible at home. Had to rely on university's. Printers wouldn't print even though I clicked "PRINT" on the computer.

If printing at the last minute because people couldn't be bothered to do so at home, fine. That can pass as a reason for capping work.
You should have been better prepared and on time. I like deadlines when they are adhered too. Appeals to my sense of justice.
Reply 12
EvenStevens
I think learning to organise your time better is a more sensible method.

Like sacrificing a weeks worth of your bed time to dedicate your time to do work?
In future, pretend that the assignment is due in the day befor it actually is...that way you get an entire 24 hours to print it off and find a stapler.
Reply 14
People always have this problem with limits and deadlines..

Why is someone who is 17 years and 364 days old going to be any less responsible than someone who's just turned 18 when it comes to drinking alcohol? There has to be a cut-off.
Reply 15
hypocriticaljap
You should have been better prepared and on time. I like deadlines when they are adhered too. Appeals to my sense of justice.

How could you get any more prepared than to spend one or two weeks worth of your bedtime sacrificed for more work time and then at the end uncontrolled circumstances arise which you're not responsible with?
WildStriker
Like sacrificing a weeks worth of your bed time to dedicate your time to do work?

I've done this more times than I'd like to say and have managed to hit every deadline just fine.

Issues like "Baww, the printer wasn't printing!" isn't an excuse anyone will tolerate, especially in a professional environment. You should account for things like this. Always work to the worst case scenario and you can't fail.
Reply 17
EvenStevens
I've done this more times than I'd like to say and have managed to hit every deadline just fine.

Issues like "Baww, the printer wasn't printing!" isn't an excuse anyone will tolerate, especially in a professional environment. You should account for things like this. Always work to the worst case scenario and you can't fail.

So what would you say if someone handed in their work late by 1 SECOND and get capped? Is that justified?
Reply 18
around

This.
Reply 19
They time they state is the latest time you should hand it in by. Good students will not be needing to do work in the couple of hours before it's due in and will hand it in earlier. If you're not motivated enough to stop procrastinating in the weeks you should be doing your assignment then it's your own damn fault.

Latest

Trending

Trending