The Student Room Group

does anyone else feel this way?

Is anyone else really fearful that they don't truly know what they want to do? For Uni I literally have one option of something that seems even slightly enjoyable/something I could be good at? But obviously like everyone else I'll only know when I get there and I really don't know what I'll do if I hate my degree or even worse if I'm sht at it lol. I feel like whenever you talk to older people you hear the same thing of "Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life" but literally how does anyone know beforehand. I know this seems silly because life is so long and theoretically you have your whole life to do a million careers if you wanted to but my parents have worked so unbelievably hard to send me to the great schools with the hopes that I'll end up even more successful than they were. I literally don't have the luxury to fck up. (also I'm fully aware this has nothing to do with relationships but I have no idea how else to make this anonymous lmao)
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Is anyone else really fearful that they don't truly know what they want to do? For Uni I literally have one option of something that seems even slightly enjoyable/something I could be good at? But obviously like everyone else I'll only know when I get there and I really don't know what I'll do if I hate my degree or even worse if I'm sht at it lol. I feel like whenever you talk to older people you hear the same thing of "Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life" but literally how does anyone know beforehand. I know this seems silly because life is so long and theoretically you have your whole life to do a million careers if you wanted to but my parents have worked so unbelievably hard to send me to the great schools with the hopes that I'll end up even more successful than they were. I literally don't have the luxury to fck up. (also I'm fully aware this has nothing to do with relationships but I have no idea how else to make this anonymous lmao)

Do you know the song Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann? If not, check it out. It is pretty inspirational. It came out in 1997 and the lyrics are still true to this day.

The verse that is applicable to you is as follows:

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your
life…the most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they
wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year
olds I know still don't.

Life is a journey and at each stage of the game, you have a selection of options. They may not be the options you thought you might have at that point in time but they are options non-the-less. And you can choose any of them. Some pathways will work out and others won't but whatever happens, you will simply end up with a new set of options and pathways to choose. So if you don't know what to do, take a punt.

But if you want some guidance on what to do, forget about the expectations others and maybe even yourself have put on what you when perceiving a "successful" you, and simply do what you enjoy or what you like. Because if you only ever do what you like and enjoy, how can you ever say you failed at life?

Good luck!

PS - doing what you enjoy is not the same as earning lots of money which is often mistakenly and in my experience wrongly used as a measure of success.
I personally don’t relate because I’ve always had a vocation but I wanted to comment on the the “do a job you love and you’ll never work a day in your life” cliché which is just bullcrap. Sure, there may be a very small number for whom that is genuinely true but I’d say that for most it isn’t. I for example love my job and of course that will make my work life more enjoyable and bearable than someone who doesn’t like their job. But does that mean it doesn’t feel like work? Of course not, it is very clearly work and I can’t wait to get home in the evening. I can’t wait for it to be Friday. Do I look forward to the weekend ending for it to be Monday again? Never in my life, and all of this is concerning a job I love.
Original post by hotpud
Do you know the song Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann? If not, check it out. It is pretty inspirational. It came out in 1997 and the lyrics are still true to this day.

The verse that is applicable to you is as follows:

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your
life…the most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they
wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year
olds I know still don't.

Life is a journey and at each stage of the game, you have a selection of options. They may not be the options you thought you might have at that point in time but they are options non-the-less. And you can choose any of them. Some pathways will work out and others won't but whatever happens, you will simply end up with a new set of options and pathways to choose. So if you don't know what to do, take a punt.

But if you want some guidance on what to do, forget about the expectations others and maybe even yourself have put on what you when perceiving a "successful" you, and simply do what you enjoy or what you like. Because if you only ever do what you like and enjoy, how can you ever say you failed at life?

Good luck!

PS - doing what you enjoy is not the same as earning lots of money which is often mistakenly and in my experience wrongly used as a measure of success.

I like your advice but apparently I must have given you too many reps and not allowed anymore for you. Great song too. Never heard of it till today.
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
I personally don’t relate because I’ve always had a vocation but I wanted to comment on the the “do a job you love and you’ll never work a day in your life” cliché which is just bullcrap. Sure, there may be a very small number for whom that is genuinely true but I’d say that for most it isn’t. I for example love my job and of course that will make my work life more enjoyable and bearable than someone who doesn’t like their job. But does that mean it doesn’t feel like work? Of course not, it is very clearly work and I can’t wait to get home in the evening. I can’t wait for it to be Friday. Do I look forward to the weekend ending for it to be Monday again? Never in my life, and all of this is concerning a job I love.

so true.
your post says it was written by an anonymous person :smile:

to learn what you would like to do, i would try different activities and see what i can stay with :smile: or listen to people talk about careers that you're interested in, and see if you would fit into the career

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending