The Student Room Group

Stuck Between 8 :/

(I know the title says 8, but now I've narrowed it down to 6)
I'm due to pick my A-Levels soon, and out of the 24 subjects the college I want to attend offers, I have narrowed it down to 6:
History
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Biology
Classics
Film Studies

I find all of these subjects interesting, and would like to study either Archaeology and Osteoarchaeology or Film & Philosophy at uni.
Which four subjects do you reccommend, that will equip me well for entry into either of these courses?
I know the two career paths are diverse, sorry xD
Reply 1
Two you should really take are classics and history. Then I guess perhaps philosophy and RS or maybe drama?

I don't know really, but make sure you take classics and history as they're both strong A levels and give you options (and while not relating to film they do heavily relate to archaeology). You need to make sure you have at least two strong A levels otherwise you'll find it hard getting into a top university. I'm not saying they're easy, or that you shouldn't do them, but bear in mind A levels like Film Studies and Drama are less respected on the whole.

Plus you can't be expected to know what you want to do at 16. Keep your options open as much as possible. I wanted to be an architect until I was 18 !
Reply 2
halogen
I'm due to pick my A-Levels soon, and out of the 24 subjects the college I want to attend offers, I have narrowed it down to 8:
History
Philosophy

Religious Studies
Biology
Ancient History
Classics
Drama & Theatre Studies
Film Studies

I find all of these subjects interesting, and would like to study either Archaeology and Osteoarchaeology or Film & Philosophy at uni.
Which four subjects do you reccommend, that will equip me well for entry into either of these courses?

An almost perfect combination. If only you were considering English Lit, then it would be perfect!

Ah, perhaps too many eggs in one basket. In which case, I'd go for

Ancient History
Philosophy
RS
Classics/Film.

Definitely Ancient for Archaelogy and Classics would support it. Definitely Philosophy and RS would support it. Mightn't Arch require perhaps Chem or Geology?

If you really have your heart set on Film, then presumably Film would be useful.
Reply 3
Leto
If you really have your heart set on Film, then presumably Film would be useful.

But like most media subjects not required, and generally not all that well respected outside their field.
Reply 4
Ewan
But like most media subjects not required, and generally not all that well respected outside their field.

Ah yes, but it's generally quite hard to convince people of that. I didn't even know Film and Philosophy was a possible combination! Aside from its alliterative aspects I can't see the benefits but if they're going to do a Film degree, they may as well do its corresponding A Level.

I say go for the Archaeology degree myself. But hey, who am I to judge? :dontknow:
Reply 5
Leto
Ah yes, but it's generally quite hard to convince people of that. I didn't even know Film and Philosophy was a possible combination! Aside from its alliterative aspects I can't see the benefits but if they're going to do a Film degree, they may as well do its corresponding A Level.

But you don't know what you want to do before you try it. So many times have I seen threads of people saying "I did XX studies A level, can I get into Oxbridge". By that point its already too late because the A levels they chose weren't appropriate. I mean just look at Law applicants: having done Law A level doesn't help you at all, indeed it can even hinder your application.

Personally I always think its good to choose a classic subject combination, because all these new "studies" A levels are just a load of crap :facepalm2:

Keep your options open.
halogen
I'm due to pick my A-Levels soon, and out of the 24 subjects the college I want to attend offers, I have narrowed it down to 8:
History
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Biology
Ancient History
Classics
Drama & Theatre Studies
Film Studies

History
Philosophy
Classics
Ancient history
Reply 7
Ewan
But you don't know what you want to do before you try it. So many times have I seen threads of people saying "I did XX studies A level, can I get into Oxbridge". By that point its already too late because the A levels they chose weren't appropriate. I mean just look at Law applicants: having done Law A level doesn't help you at all, indeed it can even hinder your application.

Personally I always think its good to choose a classic subject combination, because all these new "studies" A levels are just a load of crap :facepalm2:

Keep your options open.

What is your problem?

They want to do a Film Studies degree. Frankly, if they're going to do a Film Studies degree, I can't imagine having a Film Studies A Level will be any more of a hindrance than that!

We all know it's better to have traditional subjects but you say yourself 'you don't know what you want to do before you try it'. Doing a Film Studies A Level won't hinder their chances of getting on a Film Studies course and as a fourth subject it shouldn't matter if they want to do something else.

I'm agreeing with you which you'd realise if you'd stopped being so narrow minded and aloof. I said they should go for the more traditional subjects and the more traditional degree but to go for the Film if they wanted to. It's their life.
Reply 8
Leto

Yea true, considering its her/his fourth option it doesn't really matter. All I was pointing out is that you should keep your options open. If you choose lots of 'bad' A levels you'll find it hard getting a place on a more academic course.

Anyway yes, your right, this is pointless :biggrin:
Reply 9
halogen
History
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Biology
Ancient History
Classics
Drama & Theatre Studies
Film Studies

Just take the subjects you enjoy the most/best at more over what job you want at the end of it. From previous experience, it does not always work out the way you want it to.
halogen
History
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Biology
Ancient History
Classics
Drama & Theatre Studies
Film Studies

History/Ancient History
Classics
Philosophy
Biology/Drama & Theatre Studies/Film Studies

If you want to go for a more academic profile, go for Biology as your last option as it's academic and shows a more well-rounded student. If not, go for one of the other two. You can afford to take a slightly "softer" subject since the other three are very well-respected :smile:

As for History/Ancient History, I don't believe there's any difference between them in terms of how well regarded they are and I don't think one will help you over the other but I would say don't take both of them. Take the one which course interests you the most. Personally I'd say History, but that's because I find anything before Renaissance completely dull :p:
Reply 11
I'd like to do Archaeology myself at uni and have been considering what A Levels to do..
From what I could find on the net and from a prospectus for Oxford from 2009, uni's appear to seem quite keen on you having sciences, so I'd have thought biology might be good, as well as classics, history/ancient history and philosophy. Especially if you're considering a course with osteoarchaeology. But I guess it just depends on what you enjoy doing. You can take university-friendly choices only so far.

Latest