The Student Room Group

A-level Subjects Help

Hi everyone, I’m a little stuck about my A-level subjects. Almost everyone has been telling me not to do four A-levels because the disadvantages outweigh the advantages in terms of time and effort. I was considering to do English Literature, History, Economics and Maths. However, if I were to do three instead it would either be between English Literature, History, Economics and English Literature, History, Maths, but I’m not sure what to pick. During my GCSE mocks I kept lingering on a 7 for Maths but on results day I managed to obtain a strong 8. Now I’m a little torn about which combination I should do because I suppose choosing Maths would provide more opportunities, but I haven’t always had an affinity for the subject. On the other hand, Economics would have some Maths but also more analytical writing which I’d like, but would Economics put me at a disadvantage against those who did Maths if I were to do an Economics degree or something related to Marketing or Management?
Original post by laura_blues
Hi everyone, I’m a little stuck about my A-level subjects. Almost everyone has been telling me not to do four A-levels because the disadvantages outweigh the advantages in terms of time and effort. I was considering to do English Literature, History, Economics and Maths. However, if I were to do three instead it would either be between English Literature, History, Economics and English Literature, History, Maths, but I’m not sure what to pick. During my GCSE mocks I kept lingering on a 7 for Maths but on results day I managed to obtain a strong 8. Now I’m a little torn about which combination I should do because I suppose choosing Maths would provide more opportunities, but I haven’t always had an affinity for the subject. On the other hand, Economics would have some Maths but also more analytical writing which I’d like, but would Economics put me at a disadvantage against those who did Maths if I were to do an Economics degree or something related to Marketing or Management?

for a pure econ degree most russel groups require maths and even further maths
Reply 2
Original post by laura_blues

You need to look at degree requirements. Many Economics degrees require A level Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest