The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge ?

Hi! I’m really stuck between Oxford or Cambridge for English. I went to both of their open days and loved it. I thought that I should apply to Oxford as I have a strong academic profile (GCSEs and A-levels) and I’ve heard that Oxford prioritises GCSEs over Cambridge. Is this true? And should that affect my decision?
Hello! I applied and was accepted to study English at Oxford, starting in September, so I haven't yet begun the course but am very familiar with the application and decision making process! I was in a similar dilemma, and I may be biased (obviously), but I chose Oxford as I found their English course to be more flexible, as well as maybe slightly less intense than Cambridge's (however, depended on which college you go for and changed from year to year). In my experience, I found that GCSEs weren't really a factor at all in my application, just as long as you have the minimum grade required at English GCSE to study English. Then again, it wasn't really mentioned to me but the higher the grade you achieved the better perhaps. Either way, I don't think it should affect your decision. Make sure to go to both open days, and base your decision on how you feel about the location, tutors, specific colleges, and course content. I hope this helped!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! I’m really stuck between Oxford or Cambridge for English. I went to both of their open days and loved it. I thought that I should apply to Oxford as I have a strong academic profile (GCSEs and A-levels) and I’ve heard that Oxford prioritises GCSEs over Cambridge. Is this true? And should that affect my decision?
Original post by Anonymous

Oxford typically use GCSEs to contextualise your academic profile, by comparing the amount of 8/9s you achieved to the average for your school. If you performed well at an underachieving school, this could definitely give you an advantage in Oxford admissions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending