The Student Room Group

Bombed maths, now what? :(

Ok, I've bombed maths. There's no hope in hell I've made a B, never mind an A. And I know this cos I checked my answers and they were crap.

It wasn't the material that I couldn't do, I just panicked. (I'm sure we can all relate to exam panic.) I've worked hard throughout the year, constantly doing problems etc...I guess it was my exam technique that got me.

I need a B in maths for uni (see sig).

So, should I resit or what? Someone told me that resitting devalues the Higher, and I don't know if I could take another year of it. Any ideas? Also, has anyone else who's failed maths or any subject been in my position before?

Sorry for the self-pity but it's really getting me down.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You could always appeal, if you got a B in the prelims with a C in the finals, you can appeal it to a B
well i know someone who got C at higher, then went on and did advanced higher achieving a B-see if the teacher will let you do advanced higher, its not that different/harder
Reply 3
24craigour
well i know someone who got C at higher, then went on and did advanced higher achieving a B-see if the teacher will let you do advanced higher, its not that different/harder

I'm at college and we don't have advanced higher maths.
Reply 4
Let's assume appeals aren't an option.
When they initially reject you, phone them up on the day. They may take you if you get an A in other subjects. You could say "hey, I did get an A in these subjects" - however they are under no obligation to take you.
LuhLah
I'm at college and we don't have advanced higher maths.

oh right ummm......figure out the route the van's going to take back to the sqa headquarters, ambush it and swap the papers?
LuhLah
Let's assume appeals aren't an option.

Well you could always do and HNC/D - I forget what they're called - and then go into Chemistry that way :smile:
Reply 8
24craigour
its not that different/harder

It's not hugely different, but it's a lot harder.
C274
It's not hugely different, but it's a lot harder.

Really? I actually think in adv higher theres a lot of rote learning comparered to higher maths- although this is my personal opinion
Reply 10
Livesindreams
Well you could always do and HNC/D - I forget what they're called - and then go into Chemistry that way

Hmm, good point. I think that they still consider your highers, however...:s-smilie: Maybe if I get decent grades in the rest?

madjacksismad
When they initially reject you, phone them up on the day. They may take you if you get an A in other subjects. You could say "hey, I did get an A in these subjects" - however they are under no obligation to take you.

Hi Ape :hi: :hugs: How have you been? And low chance of that m'fraid, they specified maths in my offer. :frown:

24craigour
oh right ummm......figure out the route the van's going to take back to the sqa headquarters, ambush it and swap the papers?

Ahh, I wish I could do that :p:
LuhLah
Hmm, good point. I think that they still consider your highers, however...:s-smilie: Maybe if I get decent grades in the rest?

It's a lot lower, maybe C's and B's, and less, plus I don't think they specify.
Don't be too pessimistic - your answers may be crap but you'll get marks for working and attempts at things, and we don't know what the grade boundaries are yet. They should be low because most people seemed to find it hard - I wouldn't base how the country found it on the higher maths thread on here, everyone seems very optimistic, and maybe rightly so if they done really well, but that does NOT represent everyone. Why are appeals not an option? Like someone else said, unis can be happy to take you if you phone up on results day having narrowly missed your offer, especially if you've done better in other subjects. DON'T WORRY :smile:
MySweetheartTheDrunk
Don't be too pessimistic - your answers may be crap but you'll get marks for working and attempts at things, and we don't know what the grade boundaries are yet. They should be low because most people seemed to find it hard - I wouldn't base how the country found it on the higher maths thread on here, everyone seems very optimistic, and maybe rightly so if they done really well, but that does NOT represent everyone. Why are appeals not an option? Like someone else said, unis can be happy to take you if you phone up on results day having narrowly missed your offer, especially if you've done better in other subjects. DON'T WORRY :smile:

honestly though, i've heard comments from loads of people from different years of higher maths-and they all think that their exam is the most difficult. in all likelihood, it will stay at 78% for A
Reply 14
my teacher told us that ADH maths is like a credit version of higher, is this true ?
stefany-a
my teacher told us that ADH maths is like a credit version of higher, is this true ?

i don't get the comparison but my teacher once said its a jump from int 2 to higher but only a step up from higher to advanced higher
Reply 16
24craigour
Really? I actually think in adv higher theres a lot of rote learning comparered to higher maths- although this is my personal opinion

I suppose it helps if you're good at rote learning and if you actually do work throughout the year, as I found out to my cost.
24craigour
i don't get the comparison but my teacher once said its a jump from int 2 to higher but only a step up from higher to advanced higher

I totally disagree with your teacher. I thought the jump from higher to advanced higher was massive, and was muchmuchmuch harder, but that's just me.

Anyway LuhLah, just remember, although you may look at solutions and think "got that wrong, and that, and that" etc, remember you can get marks for working, and you also get consequential marks in that you may get one part of a question wrong, loose one mark but carry on and get the remaining marks. Also, most of the people I've spoke to that sat the higher said the paper 2 was absolutely awful, so the grade boundaries will probably be reduced if this is a general thing.
Don't worry about it too much :smile: Just get your other exams over and have a good summer!
Reply 18
24craigour
honestly though, i've heard comments from loads of people from different years of higher maths-and they all think that their exam is the most difficult. in all likelihood, it will stay at 78% for A

78% for an A? Last year the boundary for an A was 71.5%...
Reply 19
Thanks for the advice everyone. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending