The Student Room Group

Question regarding personal statement - Maths

Hello, I am currently writing my personal statement for maths at Cambridge. At the moment, I am finding that I am having to cut out a good amount of stuff I have done, so I wanted some advice about what Cambridge is looking for in a PS for maths, and hence, what should remain, and what should be cut, this is, as far as I can recall, what I have done this last year, and what seems to be relevant to my PS:

- Done a good number of competitions, e.g Ritangle, UKMT, Maths Bombe
- Gone a few lectures at UEA, Cambridge, etc.
- Looked into Galois theory, Complex analysis and number theory
- Read a number of books, some about the history of maths, some about mathematical thinking, etc.
- Invited by Oxford to attend an online maths & physics school (COMPOS)
- Done a lot of STEP prep, and I see this a lot in personal statements
- I have a residential for maths at Lancaster over summer (Also doing MAT for Imperial and TMUA because it looks fun - So could be worth mentioning?)
- DofE (Bronze), Duke of York (Bronze, Silver, now doing gold) awards
-Something not necessarily an advanced topic, but I self taught myself the A level maths content between the y11 and y12 summer, and I also did this online maths thing in y11 that only a few people have done, and it took me about 10 days on the site to complete, so I was curious if that would apply, given it is y11

I know that some of these may not be as relevant to Cambridge to others, so I am looking at removing the bits they care less about, as I am a good way over the limit talking about all of these things, and I also need to make room for my residential after I complete it, so I need to be careful about how I use my words up.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I am currently writing my personal statement for maths at Cambridge. At the moment, I am finding that I am having to cut out a good amount of stuff I have done, so I wanted some advice about what Cambridge is looking for in a PS for maths, and hence, what should remain, and what should be cut, this is, as far as I can recall, what I have done this last year, and what seems to be relevant to my PS:

- Done a good number of competitions, e.g Ritangle, UKMT, Maths Bombe
- Gone a few lectures at UEA, Cambridge, etc.
- Looked into Galois theory, Complex analysis and number theory
- Read a number of books, some about the history of maths, some about mathematical thinking, etc.
- Invited by Oxford to attend an online maths & physics school (COMPOS)
- Done a lot of STEP prep, and I see this a lot in personal statements
- I have a residential for maths at Lancaster over summer (Also doing MAT for Imperial and TMUA because it looks fun - So could be worth mentioning?)
- DofE (Bronze), Duke of York (Bronze, Silver, now doing gold) awards
-Something not necessarily an advanced topic, but I self taught myself the A level maths content between the y11 and y12 summer, and I also did this online maths thing in y11 that only a few people have done, and it took me about 10 days on the site to complete, so I was curious if that would apply, given it is y11

I know that some of these may not be as relevant to Cambridge to others, so I am looking at removing the bits they care less about, as I am a good way over the limit talking about all of these things, and I also need to make room for my residential after I complete it, so I need to be careful about how I use my words up.

If you can write about ways in which a extracurricular/supercurricular you have listed has benefited you academically (i.e has it helped you to develop critical thinking, time management etc), then that usually helps.

I’d imagine DofE and that talking about self-teaching the A level would be a little cliché, so perhaps avoiding talking about those would help. I’m not entirely sure the history of mathematics is especially relevant, but reading up on mathematical thinking likely will be of benefit to mention.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending