The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Chilledice
I call it "sharn"

Ah yes yes sorry guys, you say it like sharn :p:
Siân please. Not Sian. Looks faaaaaar better :jiggy:
userna-me*
I pronounce it "Sharn" too. Is Sian a girl's name?

Yup, as far as I know it's not a boys name as well
rockrunride
Siân please. Not Sian. Looks faaaaaar better :jiggy:

I know :p:
I sometimes don't bother with the hat. as I call it, though
i like the name, i just hate it when people cant pronounce it properly and say Sy-an or See-an
Reply 25
As you can see from my user name, I am also a Sian. I have often said that I would never call my daughter 'Sian' because soooo many people can't spell it/pronounce it.

I've had so many embarrassing introductions where people say 'Charlotte?' 'no, Sian' 'Sean?' 'no, Sian' 'Sorry?' 'It's welsh for Jane, so you can just call me Jane if you like :smile:' <---- that happened when I was in New Zealand, and I just got this guy to call me Jane because he just couldn't pronounce it! I have found that Americans and Scots also find it difficult to pronounce - I was at St Andrews Uni, so lots of American friends, and a lot of my family is Scottish, so my own Granny couldn't really say it (they say 'Shan' rather than 'Sharn')

This sounds like a MASSIVE rant. I don't actually mind my name too much, I'm getting married soon, and my surname will be Smith, so it will be nice to have a more unusual first name. I just find it frustrating when people can't spell it or pronounce it - plus you can't make it into a nickname; my nickname is often Siany-Poo. hehehe.

Like I said, not a rant, although it seems like one!!!
SianAS
As you can see from my user name, I am also a Sian. I have often said that I would never call my daughter 'Sian' because soooo many people can't spell it/pronounce it.

I've had so many embarrassing introductions where people say 'Charlotte?' 'no, Sian' 'Sean?' 'no, Sian' 'Sorry?' 'It's welsh for Jane, so you can just call me Jane if you like :smile:' <---- that happened when I was in New Zealand, and I just got this guy to call me Jane because he just couldn't pronounce it! I have found that Americans and Scots also find it difficult to pronounce - I was at St Andrews Uni, so lots of American friends, and a lot of my family is Scottish, so my own Granny couldn't really say it (they say 'Shan' rather than 'Sharn')

This sounds like a MASSIVE rant. I don't actually mind my name too much, I'm getting married soon, and my surname will be Smith, so it will be nice to have a more unusual first name. I just find it frustrating when people can't spell it or pronounce it - plus you can't make it into a nickname; my nickname is often Siany-Poo. hehehe.

Like I said, not a rant, although it seems like one!!!

OMG same with my gran not knowing how to say it, she's Irish and just cant pronounce it, never has been able to :rolleyes:
Hmm I dunno I'm not a fan of it for myself, but I know I suit it so meh
And yes, I also get the Charlotte confusion... dunno where Charlotte comes from when I say Sian. Ah well, and yeah Americans cant sa it, I had a Canadian teacher once, he just could not say it. Had a Scyottish optician once, she could not say it either.
jumpingjesusholycow
You're free to call yourself whatever you like.

Why would you let a bit of paper from the date of your birth restrict you in such a way?

I kind of get where your coming from
i like it, pronounced seeann one of work mates got that name.
Reply 29
_xAnonymous
i like it, pronounced seeann one of work mates got that name.

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be pronounced Sharn.... Although I can't find anything official to back me up on that.
Reply 30
mehhh.....hi.
I know :p:
I sometimes don't bother with the hat. as I call it, though

You should. I think names with accents like that are cool. =P

I totally sympathize with people not being able to pronounce names though. My name is difficult for most people
(edited 12 years ago)
how about you get back in the kitchen.
Reply 32
Dusty12

I totally sympathize with people not being able to pronounce names though. My name is Aoife AKA "The one with the weird Irish name" :erm:

Is that pronounced like Eva, but with an f?
Reply 33
SianAS
Is that pronounced like Eva, but with an f?

Yes!:biggrin: :p:

Like THIS
It's alright, I prefer Siobhan. :erm:

Niamh. :coma:
My best mate's ex. But a generally decent person as far as I know. Name's not bad.
It doesn't look too nice but I like the way it's pronounced. So not bad I guess.
Reply 37
Dusty12
Yes!:biggrin: :p:

Like THIS

Woohoo! (pseudo-)Celtic-named girls are in the know!
Reply 38
Don't like it.
Dusty12

I totally sympathize with people not being able to pronounce names though. My name is Aoife AKA "The one with the weird Irish name" :erm:

I love your name! Although before I heard it aloud I thought it was pronounced like Oi-eef :p:

Latest