The Student Room Group

School Houses, any ideas???

At my school we are having a change of house names (atm they are famous women - we're an all girls school) They have opened a forum on the school website for ideas and there is nothing so far that is particularly amazing.
For example, the younger ones want
colours - too primary school-like
designers ie: gucci, prada, evisu and chanel :confused:
harry potter houses
chelsea players :mad:
'famous women': Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie, Lily Cole and Mischa Barton (hahaha)
but the favourite seems to be gems eg: diamond, topaz, Amethyst and emerald. Personally i think this is too young as well, it's tricky because you have to please yr7's and yr13's. hmmm

So i thought i'd ask what you think, what are your houses called (we will have 4 houses) or do you have any ideas??
Save me from being in Amethyst house:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
in our school we have Raleigh, Drake, Spencer, Sidney, Howard, Marlow, Grenville and Jonson. marvelous choice imo.

much better than the ideas which have so far been proposed
at your school. famous women could be ok as long as they
arent controversial or some modern day whore e.g. Paris hilton....having something like Florence Nightingale on the other hand would be ok....you could also possibly use names of famous greek (ancient) states...athens, sparta etc...but that might be a bit too male...so perphas some ancient greek goddess? although if your school is religious that might also be bad.

precious stones is an awful idea imo as is the Harry Potter stuff (especially since it might cause copy right infringment).

and the whole designer idea? please...
Reply 2
Famous explorers are my school's houses....Bonnington, Bruce, Scott and Shackleton.
My school has notable people who actually attended the school. Most schools near me do this.

So we have McWilliam (sculptor) Waddell (author) Crozier (polar explorer) and Dunbar (he did something too).
Reply 4
we have the Schackleton boat at our school :cool:
Reply 5
We have famous Alumni or important people in the school's history - so Purcell's, Wren's, Dryden's, Milne's are just some.
Thanks for all your ideas, i shall put them into the school forum
Yea i like the idea of greek goddesses (we're not a religious school lol) how about these:
Athena, Gaea, Echo, Electra
Me and my friends thought of foreign words for the word 'girl' :
Regazza (Italian)
Chica (Spanish)
Menina (Portuguese)
Flicka (Swedish)

I don't think any notable people have attended my school, but i could look into it
Anything has to be better than Hilton and Richie house...
Reply 7
We have famous people's names, like scientists, writers, philosophers etc. I think it's a good idea.
Reply 8
That sounds interesting, how about you have a mixture of all your ideas, so you have a range from "Red" house to "Curie" House to "Wittgenstein" House.

How about just House after the bad-ass TV show? :cool:
Reply 9
we have saints - chad, oswalds, peters and then randomly school house.
they each have a colour association aswell, means can colour coordinate sports day support etc.
Reply 10
How about succesful women (I don't mean people like paris flaming hilton!) people like Marie Curie, Darcy Bussell...people who have excelled in their field.
For famous women, there should definitely be a Pankhurst house!
Our houses used to be named after all the large parks/open spaces in the borough (before the house system mysteriously vanished one year..)
we'e a girls school too but our houses aren't anything to do with women really...

we had the names of local roads

Queens (the road the school is on)
Ranelagh
Maedley
and Claire

random
Reply 14
Ours were named after local areas and features, things like estates, waterfalls, mountains and such.
Greek goddesses idea is quite good I think :smile:
Reply 15
Ours are named after the earls of Essex- Bohun, Bourchier, Devereux and Mandeville; but it has been raised that it's a little bit stupid to have four male earls when our school's a girls school like yours. :p: You could go for historical figures in your area? Or famous female academics- all of the science labs at our school are named after women who've contributed to science in some way such as Rosalyn Yalow, Marie Curie and so on.
My school has just left a house system in favour of a year system (luckily I wasn't affected because the change happened just as I started sixth form), but they were named after local hills - Amberley, Bignor, Chantry, Highdown and Rackham.
Wow my school's having the same problem.

Maybe because we just happen to be from
the same school, same form and could possibly be particular friends??

hahah I can't think of any either bud

Can't do better than the present influential women and alumni.

:biggrin: XXXXX
i know, but the problem is now they've closed the forum and are putting up a poll from everyone's ideas soon...... everyone's going to choose blimming gemstones, BellJar prepare to be in Jade House, or maybe Hilton House if the chavs have anything to with it :P

i really like the idea of greek goddesses and yes becca2389 i would definatley have chosen Pankhurst as an influential women, and probs Davison also because she jumped in front of the king's horse at our local racecourse
The nearest open space is named Rosebery Park - the same name as the school, they arnt very imaginative round where we live lol.

Oh well we're only there for another year...... but i want the houses to be interesting like you all have suggested, but the younger one's have reverted to primary school ie colours and gemstones
Half the names makes me sick! Some people have no taste on our VLE.

"Alroight, Oim In Versace 'ouse, wish Oi was in Gucci"

I can see it now haha

They should look up some names in well known literature. I'm sure J.K Rowling took Dumbledore and Hagrid from The Mayor of Casterbridge by Hardy as the two names are one line apart and can't be a coincendence. Good choice of names though. They need to be obscure yet neutral to appeal to everyone.

Or even some interesting words from foreign languages for example pamplemousse.

...Just kidding, maybe Shakespearean lingo or plays?

Ahh wonder what's going to be in the poll, We need to see Mr Apicella!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending