The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
coffee345
Okay, just a few questions...

How is everyone finding this??

How are we all preparing for the Advanced Notice Article??

:s-smilie:

I'm not going to actually start revising this properly till next week because of all the exams in-between.
For the Advanced Notice Article my teacher gave us a set of questions that could come up and a sheet with reaction conditions etc. we need to revise. Content-wise this one has a lot mroe but apart form reactions needed to remember its not so bad. Wierdly, i think the Cl radical questions are good.:yep: Hope they come up.

Anyway similar questions always come up so the last 10 past papers or so are really useful...okay better stop jabbering on and revising maths!:wink:
Reply 2
Saphire1
I'm not going to actually start revising this properly till next week because of all the exams in-between.
For the Advanced Notice Article my teacher gave us a set of questions that could come up and a sheet with reaction conditions etc. we need to revise. Content-wise this one has a lot mroe but apart form reactions needed to remember its not so bad. Wierdly, i think the Cl radical questions are good.:yep: Hope they come up.

Anyway similar questions always come up so the last 10 past papers or so are really useful...okay better stop jabbering on and revising maths!:wink:

What maths are you doing? Our college does OCR and I have a exam on Thursday for Core 2.
And would it be possible for you to post the questions that your teacher gave you on the Advanced Notice Article along with answers because we were told to do our own research. thank you :smile:
Reply 3
I think making sure you know the atmosphere topic really well for the exam is what you will need for the advance notice...I'm not really sure how else you can prepare for it! :smile:
Is anyone else really nervous for this exam? Cos it's like 50% of our grade and way harder :|
Reply 4
super_sim
I think making sure you know the atmosphere topic really well for the exam is what you will need for the advance notice...I'm not really sure how else you can prepare for it! :smile:
Is anyone else really nervous for this exam? Cos it's like 50% of our grade and way harder :|

yeah i know :O lol
i need some prep questions for the advanced notice article because our teacher told us to research it ourselves - do you have any so that you can post on here? :biggrin:
Reply 5
We never went through actual questions but more individual topics that could come up...like the greenhouse effect, equilibrium and maybe some stuff on isotopes? Which is EL so hopefully they won't include that :biggrin:
I'm taking it for the second time... I took it last June and hopefully I can bring it up to an A!

The lack of past papers is a real pain :frown:
But Storylines notes are always key!!
Reply 7
Hello. I am doing this exam as well! Does anyone have a pre-release for it? because I do and apparantly 20% is about that???
Reply 8
coffee345
What maths are you doing? Our college does OCR and I have a exam on Thursday for Core 2.
And would it be possible for you to post the questions that your teacher gave you on the Advanced Notice Article along with answers because we were told to do our own research. thank you :smile:

Stats...and yeah give a few minutes..or hours... to find the questions and I'll type them up
Reply 9
Questions on the Advanced Notice Article

1) Compare the density of Venus to that of the Earth.
2) Convert 700K into degrees Celcius.
3)
(a) What type of bond fission is shown in Fig 2?
(b) Write an equation for the reaction represented in Fig 2.
(c) Why will visible light not break the O-H bond?
(d) What type of particles are O and H?
(e) Classify the reaction step shown in Fig 2 as initiation, propagation or termination. Explain your answer.
(f) Write the equation for the reaction that occurs when H reacts together. Classify the type of reaction step.
(g) Why does ultraviolet dissociation of water not occur on Earth?
(h) Calculate the frequency of the radiation needed to break the O-H bond given that the bond enthalpy is 464 KJmol^-1; the Avogadro constant is 6.02 * 10^23 mol^-1 and the Plank Constant (h) is 6.63 * 10^-34 Js.
4) A hydrogen isotope can be represented as 1H. How can deuterium be represented?
5) Summarise the evidence that has led scientists to believe that the ultraviolet dissociation of water is the reason that there is no water on Venus.
6) Explain why Venus started off warmer than the Earth and has become even hotter.
7) Explain why Mars started off cooler than the Earth and why it has become even colder.
8) Why is the Earth's temperature "just right"?
9) Give an equation for a reaction that could occur when "CO2 is baked out of rocks".
Reply 10
Saphire1

3)
(e) Classify the reaction step shown in Fig 2 as initiation, propagation or termination. Explain your answer.
(f) Write the equation for the reaction that occurs when H reacts together. Classify the type of reaction step.
(h) Calculate the frequency of the radiation needed to break the O-H bond given that the bond enthalpy is 464 KJmol^-1; the Avogadro constant is 6.02 * 10^23 mol^-1 and the Plank Constant (h) is 6.63 * 10^-34 Js.
4) A hydrogen isotope can be represented as 1H. How can deuterium be represented?
5) Summarise the evidence that has led scientists to believe that the ultraviolet dissociation of water is the reason that there is no water on Venus.
6) Explain why Venus started off warmer than the Earth and has become even hotter.
7) Explain why Mars started off cooler than the Earth and why it has become even colder.
9) Give an equation for a reaction that could occur when "CO2 is baked out of rocks".

thanks for the questions, do you have the answers along with the questions that you can type them us as well :biggrin:
oh and are you doinf ocr statistics 1 on 18th june?
Saphire1

3)

Thanks for the questions, should be a big help :biggrin:
Reply 12
Saphire1

3)

thanks for these questions, do u have the answers to them???
Reply 13
coffee345
thanks for the questions, do you have the answers along with the questions that you can type them us as well :biggrin:
oh and are you doinf ocr statistics 1 on 18th june?

I'll type them up tonight..i'm revising chemistry then. And yeah I'm taking the one on the 18th June, we have hardly revised for it at school so I'm quite worried.
Reply 14
Saphire1
I'll type them up tonight..i'm revising chemistry then. And yeah I'm taking the one on the 18th June, we have hardly revised for it at school so I'm quite worried.

oh okay thank you :biggrin: - yeah we have't revised for statistics either -.- and i've been getting like c's and d's in mocks :frown:
Reply 15
does anyone else have any questions or tips on what to even do with this Advanced Notice Article?

Also, does anyone else find it hard to remember everything for chemistry or am i the only one struggling? i dont know what to do!
Ahh this one's so scary :s-smilie: I failed the 1st unit so no hope on this one T_T

Gonna ask Qs on atmosphere fer sure, but do we have to 'read around the subject' about Mars etc? ¬_¬

PAST PAPERS!! :woo: :eek3:
Hey
My teacher just sent me some more questions:

1. What distinguishes Venus from the rest of the planets? Why is Venus so hot?

2. What is a runaway greenhouse?

3. If the clouds of Venus were perfect reflectors of visible light from the Sun so that no visible light reached Venus' surface, what would happen to the surface temperature? Explain your answer.

4. If the atmosphere of Venus trapped all of the infrared light from the surface, what would happen to the surface temperature? Explain your answer.

5. How does the ultraviolet-water interaction explain why Venus is so dry? How is the same process prevented on the Earth?

6. If Mars' atmosphere is over 90% carbon dioxide like Venus', why does it have such a small greenhouse effect?

7. What atmospheric phenomenon can quickly wipe out any view of Mars' surface from above? What causes this phenomenon?

8. Why does Mars have such a thin atmosphere? What is the runaway refrigerator?

9. How does liquid water remove carbon dioxide gas from an atmosphere?

10. What distinguishes Earth from the rest of the planets? What is so unusual about its atmosphere and what produces this unusual feature?

11. What are the different ways that life removes carbon dioxide from the Earth's atmosphere?

12. Where do coal, oil, and natural gas come from? What happens when they are burned?

13. What is a natural way that most of the carbon dioxide is returned to the atmosphere on Earth?

14.How does plate tectonics regulate the climate of the Earth?

15. What is a non-natural, human activity that returns a lot of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere?

16. What are the benefits of the presence of the ozone layer?

17. Is the greenhouse problem on Earth different from the ozone problem? How so?

These haven't got answers, as they require more thought and are more open ended answers. He also told us that we should research a scientist called Nick Strobel, as it would then give us a better understanding of the advance notice.
Reply 18
Can anyone explain to me how to do questions 3b from the first set of questions.

It is: 3.(b) Write an equation for the reaction represented in Fig 2.
Reply 19
heya guys, just a few questions...

as there isn't many new spec papers, i've been doing old ones, and i was just wondering if we need to know about the following:

1. froth flotation
2. vacuum filteration

and also, in the pre-lease, figure 2... is that homolytic fission, because i produces radicals?!

help please...thank you! x

Latest

Trending

Trending