The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

reem02
I got 1/6 =S thats the only q in the paper i wasnt sure about other than that it was quite good.
what did you get?

what do you reckon grade boundaries will be like
Reply 181
reem02
I got 1/6 =S thats the only q in the paper i wasnt sure about other than that it was quite good.
what did you get?

i think the answer was 2/3 as for the longest side to be >6, either X>6 or X<4 (so the other side >6) = 1/2 + 1/6 = 2/3 :smile: Hope that helps
Reply 182
james.singh
what do you reckon grade boundaries will be like

no idea
hmm what was your answer to Q3?
Reply 183
cari
Yup :smile:

how did you find the paper?
Reply 184
ioanna7
i did really bad- i couldn't study and i didn't know how to do hypotheses testing-does any of you remember the answers on those?

Yeah, the questions where they asked you to state the hypothesis were both significant I think.

And the one where you had to find the critical region, then they gave you 8 as the actual value, that was insignificant because it fell outside of the critical region.
Reply 185
reem02
how did you find the paper?

really wordy lol - what was with the gazillion definitions?!
reem02
what did you get?
Did you forget to do both ends? (yeah it was one of those cumulative dist questions)

I did too, fml :frown:

I reckon I'll get 2 marks for finding the height, finding 1/6th, and then multiplying them, so its not THAT bad.

Also I ballsed up the last part of the last question, I never got down to finding what 'a' and 'k' were (I gto half way but I ran out of time), so I just guessed what I thought the f(x) graph would look like and said the mode was 1 (I've got like a 1 in 4 chance of it being right :rolleyes: ), but my mate said it was 2, so :s-smilie:
Reply 187
Aliison
Yeah, the questions where they asked you to state the hypothesis were both significant I think.

And the one where you had to find the critical region, then they gave you 8 as the actual value, that was insignificant because it fell outside of the critical region.

Sounds reasonably familiar :smile: The critical regions for the 8 were like X<6 or X>?16 something like that anyway I think!
cari
2/3 for question 3 because for the longest side to be >6, either X<4 or X>6 = 1/2 + 1/6 = 2/3 :smile:

Its actually a half, because P(X<4) = 3*1/6.

It was uniformly distributed between [1,7], not [0,6] so everything moves up.
Hopefully we should get 3 method marks as it was a 5 mark question.
cari
really wordy lol - what was with the gazillion definitions?!
Haha, those were the only definitions I actually new.

I got my mum to test me literally an hour before the exam - thats the only reason I knew them :biggrin:
Reply 190
916-CALL-TURK
Did you forget to do both ends? (yeah it was one of those cumulative dist questions)

I reckon I'll get 2 marks for finding the height, finding 1/6th, and then multiplying them, so its not THAT bad.

Also I ballsed up the last part of the last question, I never got down to finding what 'a' and 'k' were (I gto half way but I ran out of time), so I just guessed what I thought the f(x) graph would look like and said the mode was 1 (I've got like a 1 in 4 chance of it being right :rolleyes: ), but my mate said it was 2, so :s-smilie:

I had the mode as 2/9 i think because k=1/9 :s-smilie:
Reply 191
TylerDurden
Its actually a half, because P(X<4) = 3*1/6.

It was uniformly distributed between [1,7], not [0,6] so everything moves up.
Hopefully we should get 3 method marks as it was a 5 mark question.

but you also need the possibility that X>6 surely? which is 1/6, 1/6 + 1/2 = 2/3 :s-smilie:
So question 3 was:
A rectangle has a perimeter of 20. One side has a length with a cumulative uniform distribution between 1 and 7. Find the probability that the longer side is greater than 6 cm
cari
but you also need the possibility that X>6 surely? which is 1/6, 1/6 + 1/2 = 2/3 :s-smilie:

It's uniformly distributed between [1,7] so height is 1/6.
P(X<4) = (4-1)*1/6. It's 4-1 as lower limit is 1, not 0.

If you draw it out it makes sense. :frown:
Reply 194
cari
i think the answer was 2/3 as for the longest side to be >6, either X>6 or X<4 (so the other side >6) = 1/2 + 1/6 = 2/3 :smile: Hope that helps

Oh crap i forgot x<4 i got it thnx :smile:
well i get few marks for finding half the ansr lol
Reply 195
TylerDurden
It's uniformly distributed between [1,7] so height is 1/6.
P(X<4) = (4-1)*1/6. It's 4-1 as lower limit is 1, not 0.

If you draw it out it makes sense. :frown:

Yeah I get that, so that is where my "1/2" comes from, but you're forgetting the situation when X>6 which the probability is 1/6, so you have to add this to the "1/2" giving you 2/3 surely? :s-smilie:
cari

1/6 + 1/6 +1/2 is NOT 2/3 :rolleyes:

My mate got 2/3 from 1/6 + 1/2 as 1/6 was the probability if it were represented by a CUD, and the 1/2 was the probability if it were not represented by a CUD (I still dont get that).

Alrighty. I'm off :p: Ridiculous amounts of CHEM4/BIOL4/C4 to revise over the next 6 days :eek3:
Reply 197
916-CALL-TURK

I got mode as 2
K as 1/9

To find a it took me 2 tries. but i did manage to get a 4.
Reply 198
cari
I had the mode as 2/9 i think because k=1/9 :s-smilie:

mode was just 2 for me.... how did you get 2/9?
Reply 199
916-CALL-TURK
1/6 + 1/6 +1/2 is NOT 2/3 :rolleyes:

My mate got 2/3 from 1/6 + 1/2 as 1/6 was the probability if it were represented by a CUD, and the 1/2 was the probability if it were not represented by a CUD (I still dont get that).

Alrighty. I'm off :p: Ridiculous amounts of CHEM4/BIOL4/C4 to revise over the next 6 days :eek3:

I didn't say it was! Read my answer again, the comma was not supposed to be a plus :smile: (easy mistake to make!)

Latest

Trending

Trending