The Student Room Group

Journalism degree - Foundation or Bachelors?

I'm looking to start Uni in 2011, and I'm looking at going into Journalism. When I spoke to the Connections people a while ago, the women there told me that a Foundation degree was something to consider - but I hadn't started really looking into Uni at this point. More recently, I have, and the difference in cost between the two has me thinking of going into a Foundation degree.

I'm just wondering, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each type of degree? I know that a Bachelors degree would be more sought after, but would a Foundation degree be substancial enough to get me into work?

I'm also looking into getting some Work Experience to get alongside this. Thanks for any help :smile:

PS - Sorry if this is the wrong section, having looked around, it seems the most logical.
Reply 1
I'm not well informed on the journalism world but I'd imagine degrees aren't the most sought after; more to do with aptitude towards actual writing and experience.

As for the degree, if you feel you can do it, take the bachelors. I don't think the foundation degree would open many doors but i may be wrong as i said before :P

I'd just advise going on the work experience and talking to writers about how they got into the industry. Send emails or letters to journalists for newspapers such as the guardian or the times (to appear unbiased!) and most of them will give you the time of day to reply :P
Chivalry
I'm not well informed on the journalism world but I'd imagine degrees aren't the most sought after; more to do with aptitude towards actual writing and experience.

As for the degree, if you feel you can do it, take the bachelors. I don't think the foundation degree would open many doors but i may be wrong as i said before :P

I'd just advise going on the work experience and talking to writers about how they got into the industry. Send emails or letters to journalists for newspapers such as the guardian or the times (to appear unbiased!) and most of them will give you the time of day to reply :P

It's not so much the ability to do it that worries me, it's the amount of debt i'll find myself in afterwards. I found I can do a Foundation Degree at a college a 30 minute train ride away for the same price as 1 year of a Bachelors degree (Not including living expenses and all that), so I'm hoping that a Foundation degree and Work Experience would be enough.

My girlfriend's mum gave me the number of a guy who works at a local newspaper, who i've spoken to and found out who to email about getting experience. I'm also going to email a couple of other local papers. I hadn't thought about getting in touch with places like The Times and The Guardian, but come to think of it, that probably would help me out a lot as well.
Reply 3
LastChanceHotel
It's not so much the ability to do it that worries me, it's the amount of debt i'll find myself in afterwards. I found I can do a Foundation Degree at a college a 30 minute train ride away for the same price as 1 year of a Bachelors degree (Not including living expenses and all that), so I'm hoping that a Foundation degree and Work Experience would be enough.

My girlfriend's mum gave me the number of a guy who works at a local newspaper, who i've spoken to and found out who to email about getting experience. I'm also going to email a couple of other local papers. I hadn't thought about getting in touch with places like The Times and The Guardian, but come to think of it, that probably would help me out a lot as well.

I'm not too sure on the loans and grants for English universities, but the student loan is paid back at a certain small % of earnings above some figure; i think its might be 16k. So you don't have to pay it back until you find stable work and even then its small (relatively). As long as you don't take out a bank loan to pay your accommodation and tuition you should be fine on the debt side (but then I don't know your personal circumstances).

You can always get a part time job during term time aswell at uni. Lots of students do and it's probably the norm. That would help keep you up a bit.
Chivalry
I'm not too sure on the loans and grants for English universities, but the student loan is paid back at a certain small % of earnings above some figure; i think its might be 16k. So you don't have to pay it back until you find stable work and even then its small (relatively). As long as you don't take out a bank loan to pay your accommodation and tuition you should be fine on the debt side (but then I don't know your personal circumstances).

You can always get a part time job during term time aswell at uni. Lots of students do and it's probably the norm. That would help keep you up a bit.

I hadn't really thought of getting a part time job, but yeah, that probably would help a lot... I'm planning to save up as much as I can from now until I go to Uni to help out with the money.

I need to look more into the Student loan side of it and see about paying it back and all that lot. I'm just asking around with as many people as I can about the advantages and disadvantages of doing a Foundation degree, and depending on what I find out, I may just end up going into a Bachelors.

Thanks for the help :beer:
Reply 5
Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending