The Student Room Group

Will I fit in at uni?

This is kind of complicated but i'll try and make this as concise as I can...bascially up until about a year ago I was a popular, out-going, extremely social person in a strong 'friendship group', however after a series of traumatic events I developed depression and an eating disorder and became a virtual recluse who never went to lessons and did awfully in my AS's. My so called friends couldn't understand why I wasn't going out with them much and we drifted apart, I moved sixth-forms so I could get away from an atmosphere that held bad memories for me and I knew I'd have to work my arse off to do my A-levels in one year (I need AAB for my course).
Even though I had the opportunity to make friends at my new school, i was still kind of suffering from my illnesses and I had so so much work to do so I pretty much rejected any effort made to develop good friendships (I still have people i talk to and get on with etc) and am still an almost recluse a year on.

It's totally not who I am, I'm crazy and love to party, laugh and spend time with people and thats what I want more than anything at uni. I'm just really worried that after being like this for over a year I will struggle to turn back to my old self when I get to uni...the people I get on best with are sociable and fun and i'm so worried I won't fit into that crowd anymore because of my 'year out' if you like.
What do you think?
im sure you will fit in fine. most people at uni will have come by them selfs and not know anybody their either. think of it as a fresh start, you will be fine :smile: x
Reply 2
Its another fresh start. People there will have no idea what you were like at school, everyone is in the same boat. I think you will get on fine :smile:
Reply 3
Everyone finds a place at uni!

A lot of people undergo 'personality changes' and whatever (I did!) and you'll find your niche soon enough.
I think a new start with new things and new people is the best thing you can do!! It will bring back your old confidence and spark :yep:

Just before I started uni I had similar things going on which really knocked my confidence. For me, jumping into the deep end in a new town, on a new course, with a new part time job, not knowing anybody was the best thing I ever did.

You never know how perfect things are going to turn out to be..
i had a stage like this...probably not as severe..but i did the whole depressive thing :frown: damnnn thats not fun and yeahh so i kinda know where youre coming from so look at it as a new beginning :biggrin: time to start over :smile: xx

Latest

Trending

Trending