The Student Room Group

Going to uni at 21?

Dropped out of university because I wasn't enjoying the course. After spending a few years in a job, I'm thinking of returning to uni studying something different.

I'll be 21, will I fit in?
Will I be classed as a mature student?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by CWEL23
Dropped out of university because I wasn't enjoying the course. After spending a few years in a job, I'm thinking of returning to uni studying something different.

You will be classed as a mature student, however this won't affect you at all in regards to fitting in. My friend started uni at 22 and I started at 20 - we're different ages in our friend group but I don't feel the difference at all. There are also lots of mature students on courses anyway; the oldest on my course is in his 40's but he gets along well with other students in their 20's.

You'll fit in and get along just fine :smile:
Original post by Bean_cat
You will be classed as a mature student, however this won't affect you at all in regards to fitting in. My friend started uni at 22 and I started at 20 - we're different ages in our friend group but I don't feel the difference at all. There are also lots of mature students on courses anyway; the oldest on my course is in his 40's but he gets along well with other students in their 20's.

You'll fit in and get along just fine :smile:

Thanks, I find this reassuring.
Whilst I understand why 21 is classed as a mature student (people also can graduate at that age), honestly, there are people that are 2/3 years older than me at uni (I started at 18) in my cohort and I couldn’t tell they weren’t the same age as me + we are all great friends!
I started my first degree at 21 with this mindset. No one knew I wasn’t 18. You’ll fit in- three years is absolutely nothing. The biggest hinderance will be your own insecurity. Don’t make a big deal of it and the other students will have no clue- even if you say they won’t care.
Original post by username6337211

You wont have any problem at all! I started uni at 28 and even I never felt like i didnt fit in. The great thing about uni is there are usually people from all different ages and walks of life there. The people on my course were aged between 18 and 58!

I hope this helps you feel more settled.

-Victoria
Wrexham uni rep

I did exactly the same thing when I came back to uni and actually found the break even more helpful because I appreciated being a student again. Also there were no problems making friends!

Hey, you’re classed as a mature student but let me reassure you that you really are NOT! I’m about to start my degree at 43, have met another woman doing the same course who’s 40 and another 36. Of us old fogies can do it you definitely can x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending