The Student Room Group

What bag for uni commuter?

If anyone gets the train to uni, esp to London or a busy place, what kind of bag should I take to carry my stuff?
Hi there, I have a bag that wasn't too expensive from Amazon, about £20. It's a plain blue backpack that allows me to have room for a water bottle, laptop, and space for stationery. I find a backpack is easier to manage when travelling and can fit in the locker well at university. My backpack has accessible pockets to put train tickets and things I need to quickly. Good luck finding the right bag for you :-)

ARU Dee
Student Digital Ambassador
Reply 2
I commute on the train (occasionally to London) and use a kanken backpack, which is a good size, fits my 15.4 inch laptop and isn't too bulky on the train. I also normally put a tote bag or my uniqlo crossbody bag inside my backpack, as sometimes I'll want to leave my backpack somewhere safe and only need to carry a few things.
Original post by Sop 27
If anyone gets the train to uni, esp to London or a busy place, what kind of bag should I take to carry my stuff?

Hi,
As said above I recommend a backpack which preferably has a separate section for your laptop. You can usually find these anywhere, whilst I don't go to a London uni, I am a commuting student and managed to find one fairly easily, you just want to make sure there is enough space for things such as stationary, any extra papers and lunch (if you are bringing it); some also have the pocket on the outside for your water bottle which are good so your stuff inside won't get wet if it leaks.
Hope this helps!
-Malek
University of Kent Rep
Reply 4
Original post by University of Kent Reps
Hi,
As said above I recommend a backpack which preferably has a separate section for your laptop. You can usually find these anywhere, whilst I don't go to a London uni, I am a commuting student and managed to find one fairly easily, you just want to make sure there is enough space for things such as stationary, any extra papers and lunch (if you are bringing it); some also have the pocket on the outside for your water bottle which are good so your stuff inside won't get wet if it leaks.
Hope this helps!
-Malek
University of Kent Rep

So basically what I had in year 7!
Thank you :smile:
Original post by Sop 27

Hi there @Sop 27 !
I can't speak for commuting to London but I have got public transport to university before/took my work home for the weekend to do. I use the Urban Outfitters Corduroy Tote Bag. It usually fits in my laptop in it's case, my diary, a notebook, my pencil case, my purse and a water bottle. That works for me in terms of essentials to take to university. It also has a phone slot, an airpods sized slot and a zip pocket at the back which I think is really helpful. You can get student discount on it as well. There also tends to be spare space incase I take anything home with me as well. I always make sure I have a fold up tote bag in there as well, just incase I end up needing to nip to the shops or do any shopping whilst I'm there.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 6
And it looks quite nice too. I'm not at uni yet but that sounds like the kind of stuff I'll be taking. Thanks!
Original post by Sop 27

Hey I don't commute, but I do travel to and from London quite regularly. I use a rucksack from Amazon. It has a laptop compartment which is definitely useful bc it means I don't have to carry a separate laptop bag :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)
I used a Superdry backpack (leopard print as I wanted to look stylish haha) throughout my four years at uni (including a year abroad) and it is still in brilliant condition. It did look quite big when I loaded it with my laptop, books and packed lunch but I could literally fit anything into it (hence why I used it as cabin luggage during my year abroad travels). I am planning to use it when I begin my masters in September and maybe beyond if I stay on for a PhD, but it was definitely worth the small investment (around £40)!
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Sop 27

Hello @Sop 27

I hope you're well. I don't get the train and I don't go to university however I commute to placement and can give a few tips.

First, make sure you have enough space - you need to be able to fit in all your equipment & general belongings. Decide if you want a bag with a laptop/iPad/tablet etc compartment in. I have found that rucksacks/backpacks with adjustable straps are the best as it leaves your hands free if you need to carry anything additional, perhaps with small pockets to fit non-valuable but essential items in too.

I would recommend Amazon to find a good bag as that's where I have got all mine from and had no issues just make sure to look at reviews and the sizing beforehand! You want to find something with good material so that it is able to last the whole time!

Hope you find your perfect bag,
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending