The Student Room Group

Global Economics F585 how confident are people with this exam?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I've not started my revision yet (and probably won't until the 16th or so), but I'm not too worried at the moment. There's a lot to cover, certainly, but it's not an insurmountable challenge.
Reply 61
Bax-man
I've not started my revision yet (and probably won't until the 16th or so), but I'm not too worried at the moment. There's a lot to cover, certainly, but it's not an insurmountable challenge.

You are back! :smile: Cos it won't be a problem for you :smile:
Reply 62
Bax-man

I agree, but I'll probably leave my revision a bit later than you to focus on other exams.
Reply 63
MCYan
You are back! :smile: Cos it won't be a problem for you :smile:

Much obliged. We'll have to catch up.

Adam92
I agree, but I'll probably leave my revision a bit later than you to focus on other exams.

Quite - my concern is I have Law on the same day, and five days later have a politics module I've self taught (or, as is the case, not self taught) so don't have the luxury being able to focus on just the one exam.
Reply 64
Bax-man
Quite - my concern is I have Law on the same day, and five days later have a politics module I've self taught (or, as is the case, not self taught) so don't have the luxury being able to focus on just the one exam.

Advantageously for me, all my exams are spaced out at least 4 days between each other (except FP2 and FP3 which are only 2 days apart) so that leaves me enough time to focus specifically. I guess I'm just lucky when it comes to these things, because the same happened in January :wink:
Reply 65
Bax-man
Much obliged. We'll have to catch up.

I did mean course lol. Yeah certainly.
Reply 66
What would the 20marker be likely to be on?
Reply 67
Amit92
What would the 20marker be likely to be on?

I thought sustainability, not sure though.
Reply 68
Ye i think that there could be a question on sustainability, but i'm unsure on how they would incorporate it. Also has anyone got the tutor2u guide to the stimulus because that would really help. I'm happy to send anyone the other guide. Cheers
Reply 69
mainir72
Ye i think that there could be a question on sustainability, but i'm unsure on how they would incorporate it. Also has anyone got the tutor2u guide to the stimulus because that would really help. I'm happy to send anyone the other guide. Cheers

Don't know either regarding sustainabilit the actual question! Maybe linking to developed/developing economies.
Reply 70
mainir72

Heyy im kinda new to this thing but i have the tutor2u guide if you want it?
Reply 71
if anyone has the apt/zigzag toolkits and is willing to send it please let me know :smile:
Reply 72
skyhigh!
Heyy im kinda new to this thing but i have the tutor2u guide if you want it?

Would it be possible for you to e-mail it to me also?
Reply 73
I failed this exam in January (well February) and I'm going to fail it again now :eek3:

It's my last exam but it comes at an awful time, got FP1 on 22nd June, Transport Economics 23rd, French 24th and then Global 25th :yikes:

If anyone here sat the exam in January, do they think it will be of a similar standard? God I'm so crap at Economics now :\
Reply 74
Bax-man

sure, just pm me your e-mail
Reply 75
Bax-man

Hey, did you do Transport in Jan? I know this is only a 5 marks question, but 'Explain why road congestion represents an example of market failure.' Did you need to draw a diagram in order to show. Or would you just define what are the key words in the question, then say because congestion leads social cost > social benefit, therefore neg ext arises, causing a market failure? How would you get the 5 marks though fully?

And also, 'Comment upon whether a national road-pricing scheme would reduce congestion.' could you say the congestion charge in London, - hold on that's not national charging scheme, if not, what would it be?
Thank you so much.
Reply 76
Guys, what is a national road pricing scheme? Has it been stopped since Conversative comes in? Don't think I've ever learnt it before. :s-smilie:
Reply 77
Is the last question going to be on the last extract or can it be from any?
and anyone have APT/zigzag please? i only have the tutor2u one.
Reply 78
MCYan
Hey, did you do Transport in Jan? I know this is only a 5 marks question, but 'Explain why road congestion represents an example of market failure.' Did you need to draw a diagram in order to show. Or would you just define what are the key words in the question, then say because congestion leads social cost > social benefit, therefore neg ext arises, causing a market failure? How would you get the 5 marks though fully?

And also, 'Comment upon whether a national road-pricing scheme would reduce congestion.' could you say the congestion charge in London, - hold on that's not national charging scheme, if not, what would it be?
Thank you so much.

I diagram might help, but it's not necessary I don't believe. You should indeed define the key terms, and then discuss that the cost to 'society' of someone using the road is greater than the cost paid by the individual, leading to externalities (and, by extension, overconsumption).

As for your second question, then you should first define congestion in terms of producing negative externalities and what have you, and that a national road pricing scheme should serve to reduce those. Follow this with your usual evaluative comments. You could use London's Congestion Charge as an example of a road pricing scheme that may or may not have been successful in reducing congestion. If that question's from the January paper, I seem to recall my explanation of the need of a road pricing scheme including that roads are quasi-public goods - that seemed to go down well with the examiner.
Reply 79
Bax-man
I diagram might help, but it's not necessary I don't believe. You should indeed define the key terms, and then discuss that the cost to 'society' of someone using the road is greater than the cost paid by the individual, leading to externalities (and, by extension, overconsumption).

As for your second question, then you should first define congestion in terms of producing negative externalities and what have you, and that a national road pricing scheme should serve to reduce those. Follow this with your usual evaluative comments. You could use London's Congestion Charge as an example of a road pricing scheme that may or may not have been successful in reducing congestion. If that question's from the January paper, I seem to recall my explanation of the need of a road pricing scheme including that roads are quasi-public goods - that seemed to go down well with the examiner.

Thank you. Yes it was Jan transport, you are glad you have this out of the way! What questions did you do for section B if you can remember? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending