The Student Room Group

Studying language alongside degree?

So .. say i go to Plymouth and study Business.. I'm pretty sure I have the option of doing a language at the same time.. (if i cant, i'd want to find it outside of the Uni) .

How hard is to start a new language, not done one since GCSE, so no idea if I am good at it or not.. or anything :biggrin:. Are you even allowed to take it on without any A Level language or anything?

Just wondering if anyone has experiences of starting completely new language in first year of uni and taking it through til your fluent.. or whatever :smile:

I just want to be better equipped for the Business world when i get out, knowing an extra language should do great for job prospects after uni.

For most unis, if you're applying to do a subject and a language (e.g. Business and French or something) as a degree, you'll need an A level in the language you want to study.

Some unis offer courses with a year abroad, and some of those will require you to take modules in the language of that country. For example, I know a girl here at Kent doing Anthropology with a year in Japan, she didn't know Japanese before coming and she is required to take modules in Japanese. But, for some unis and courses, you will again need to have an A level, since that year out will be taught in that language and you need to know it.

That doesn't mean you can't find evening classes or something, up at my uni also I've seen a few posters by international students offering to teach one-on-one languages to other students. How difficult it'll be really depends on your commitment, your 'ability' with languages, etc. Always worth a go though, I'd say :smile:
Reply 2
Most unis have a language centre, so I'd think that Plymouth would allow you to study it in your spare time at least - possibly even doing a couple of language modules as part of your degree. Beginners are accepted - the poster above is referring to joint courses, where A Level French would be required for a degree in Business and French (or whatever language) - and even then beginners are accepted for rarer languages. Of course, to go from being a beginner to fluent throughout your three years at uni will be very difficult and will require you to spend a lot of time studying and ideally spending time in the countries where the language is spoken. Even if you only get to A Level standard it'll still be advantageous though :smile:

Oh, and I'm sure you're the poster who asked only the other day how to stand out by doing a Business degree at Plymouth, and I suggested taking up a language. You're welcome for the awesome idea! :wink:
Reply 3
xmarilynx

Oh, and I'm sure you're the poster who asked only the other day how to stand out by doing a Business degree at Plymouth, and I suggested taking up a language. You're welcome for the awesome idea! :wink:

Ha ye i am :rolleyes: .
It did make me remember hearing on the open day about like.. language modules and such, so i read into it a bit more with the info i have about Plymouth but couldnt find anything as specific as the answers i needed.

Thank you nonetheless :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending