The Student Room Group

Should I bother applying to Oxford?

I'm predicted the equivalent to A*A*A*A (I do an extended level 3 diploma with an A-level) and I want to study Linguistics and Philosophy at Oxford (Linguistics is my passion but this is the course which best applies.)
The reason why I'm worried about applying to Oxford is the fact that my GCSE results are low. I only achieved 55566666777 and this is why I'm doubting if I even have a chance at getting in.
Has anyone gotten in with low GCSEs or know how the application process worked with their Linguistics application please?
Original post by Rowanthepotato
I'm predicted the equivalent to A*A*A*A (I do an extended level 3 diploma with an A-level) and I want to study Linguistics and Philosophy at Oxford (Linguistics is my passion but this is the course which best applies.)
The reason why I'm worried about applying to Oxford is the fact that my GCSE results are low. I only achieved 55566666777 and this is why I'm doubting if I even have a chance at getting in.
Has anyone gotten in with low GCSEs or know how the application process worked with their Linguistics application please?

https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/courses/5e108bb2-1206-9bc5-babe-14c42ea8b99c?courseOptionId=898f5896-cb41-4ffa-9978-b34ca917d51e

Provided one of your grade 7s is in GCSE maths and the level 3 diploma is D*D*D* - DDD, you should be able to land yourself an offer (with hard work).

However, you are going to have to find ways of making your application stand out more to compensate for your GCSEs, as I’d expect PPL to be pretty competitive.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by TypicalNerd
https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/courses/5e108bb2-1206-9bc5-babe-14c42ea8b99c?courseOptionId=898f5896-cb41-4ffa-9978-b34ca917d51e

Provided one of your grade 7s is in GCSE maths and the level 3 diploma is D*D*D - DDD, you should be able to land yourself an offer (with hard work).

However, you are going to have to find ways of making your application stand out more to compensate for your GCSEs, as I’d expect PPL to be pretty competitive.

Thank you so much for your response.
I only have a grade 6 in maths, will this be an issue?
Thank you so much for your response.
I only have a grade 6 in maths, will this be an issue?

Unfortunately it will be an issue. The course description I linked on UCAS says the following:

“For Linguistics, it is helpful for candidates to have studied English Language, Mathematics, a science or any other language. Candidates are expected to have an A/7 or above in GCSE Mathematics (where GCSEs are taken). We expect you to have taken and passed any practical component in your chosen science subjects.”
Original post by TypicalNerd
Unfortunately it will be an issue. The course description I linked on UCAS says the following:

“For Linguistics, it is helpful for candidates to have studied English Language, Mathematics, a science or any other language. Candidates are expected to have an A/7 or above in GCSE Mathematics (where GCSEs are taken). We expect you to have taken and passed any practical component in your chosen science subjects.”

Ah that's disappointing. Thank you for your help though!
Ah that's disappointing. Thank you for your help though!

You are welcome.

You could try resitting GCSE maths, I suppose.

Whether it is justified to do so for the sake of an Oxford application is up to you to decide.
(edited 9 months ago)

Have you checked whether your level 3 qualification is acceptable to Oxford?
If you want to go to university sooner, you could apply to a university with lower entry requirements such as Lancaster, which does not require GCSEs.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Original post by ageshallnot
Have you checked whether your level 3 qualification is acceptable to Oxford?

Yes, it is
Yes, it is

Ok. I thought Oxford excluded UAL diplomas unless taken alongside A-levels. Have you checked that your combination is acceptable for the degree you're interested in?
Original post by ageshallnot
Ok. I thought Oxford excluded UAL diplomas unless taken alongside A-levels. Have you checked that your combination is acceptable for the degree you're interested in?

I take an a-level alongside my course
I take an a-level alongside my course

But have you checked with Oxford whether that is sufficient?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending