The Student Room Group
blusher
Wondering whether to carry it on..
I'm interested in psychology just the as topics didn't really appeal to me.
If I were to carry on it would be my fourth so i'd be taking 4 in comparison to three... :eek3:

is this wise? :confused:

the A2 is more focused on evaluation other than the theory, but there is SO much to learn! |: it takes up alot of time and the evaluation is only really effective if it's something you've got your own opinions on, some of the topics are evry interesting though! it just depends how hard you want to work really.
Reply 2
abcdemilyxx
the A2 is more focused on evaluation other than the theory, but there is SO much to learn! |: it takes up alot of time and the evaluation is only really effective if it's something you've got your own opinions on, some of the topics are evry interesting though! it just depends how hard you want to work really.

awrrr oh ok thanks. i only did like a nights revision for as though and i think i did ok in the exams. and didn't really work throughout the year. can i not do the same this year?:confused:
Reply 3
blusher
awrrr oh ok thanks. i only did like a nights revision for as though and i think i did ok in the exams. and didn't really work throughout the year. can i not do the same this year?:confused:

A2 is much more interesting but a lot harder. U have to work for it. This is for ocr.
blusher

lol i did a nights revision for AS too and got an A, A2 is crap cause only 1/3 of the marks are for the theory, though opinions aren't too hard to do, it'd just need more then 1 day of cramming. it's interesting though.
A-Level Psychology is a joke.

It needs revamping or scrapping entirely.
Reply 6
I concur with GodspeedGehanna.
Reply 7
GodspeedGehenna
A-Level Psychology is a joke.

It needs revamping or scrapping entirely.

When did u do alevel? We are the first year on the new course/ doing new exams and it is VERY hard. If u did alevels a while back then it has been revamped
mrk12a
When did u do alevel? We are the first year on the new course/ doing new exams and it is VERY hard. If u did alevels a while back then it has been revamped

I did it on the old spec where it had 28 mark essays.

They've made it even worse in the new spec, trying to make it like all the physics and chem papers with lots of little questions. Unfortunately that isn't how Psych works.

The ways of 'evaluating' studies and the way it presents empirical research is just completely wrong. It doesn't teach the potential skills properly and just encourages memorisation and 'prediction of exam questions'.
Reply 9
Its true, if you can memorise everything, you are sorted.
With AS it was easier because you didn't have to learn everything in such detail and most questions were 2,3,6 marks with the exception of the 12 marker which didnt have to be that strucutred in order to get high marks. With A2 you have to get 21/25 or something for an A grade in each essay and it has to have 2/3 to a page of AO1 and about 1 1/2 to 2 pages of AO2/AO3 with at least 2 studies and two synoptic toolkits (for PSYA3 anyway). Just ridiculous the amount that we have to learn even if some overlaps because if you write about the wrong thing you wont have time to correct it!
I think the only way you'll know if you'll enjoy it is by taking a good look at the syllabus for A2 and seeing if you like the look of it- have a quick look through A2 textbooks if necessary. As for whether it would be wise... I'd say only do 4 A2's if you are confident that you can manage the workload and that you will do well. You'll have to enjoy what your doing. A2 psych is different in what it wants from you compared to AS, there is a lot to learn (memorise, whatever you want to call it) and I mean a lot! In addition to that you need essay writing skills which you don't have at AS. Its not hard once you get the hang of it but I'm just saying it to emphasis that its not the same which was the impression which I was under. Ha I was so wrong. :smile:

And just as a general point I fail to see how you can do psychopathology without synoptic 'issues, approaches and debates.' It may not be mandatory but I just can't write an essay on schizophrenia without mentioning them...:s-smilie:
Reply 12
GodspeedGehenna
I did it on the old spec where it had 28 mark essays.

They've made it even worse in the new spec, trying to make it like all the physics and chem papers with lots of little questions. Unfortunately that isn't how Psych works.

The ways of 'evaluating' studies and the way it presents empirical research is just completely wrong. It doesn't teach the potential skills properly and just encourages memorisation and 'prediction of exam questions'.

I agree, it does not teach psychology properly and is a big test of memorisation. Saying this it does not make it easy which i thought you where implying when you said it was a joke.

Latest

Trending

Trending