The Student Room Group

When should I start revising for A Levels?

I start Y13 next month and I'm wondering when is a good time to start proper revision. I have a few mocks so ofc ill be revising for those along the way but in terms of the real things when is a good time? especially because my year will be the first year to do fully normal a levels since pre-covid (no advanced info etc). all my entry requirements for uni are ABB but ideally id like at least AAA (sociology, eng lang and psychology)

thank you!
Now

I wish I started revision early
(edited 1 year ago)
Start now. The best advice I got was to get all of AS consolidated by December, obviously still revise A2 in the meantime, but really focus on AS, then you’ve got from January onwards to get confident in A2. Trying to revise both at the same time, from experience, is an absolute nightmare so it really does help to get AS out the way first . I can’t give any advice on the other subjects, but I did do sociology and AS is a breeze compared to A2, so you’ll need all the time you can get to revise that before exams :smile:
Original post by izzy4509x
I start Y13 next month and I'm wondering when is a good time to start proper revision. I have a few mocks so ofc ill be revising for those along the way but in terms of the real things when is a good time? especially because my year will be the first year to do fully normal a levels since pre-covid (no advanced info etc). all my entry requirements for uni are ABB but ideally id like at least AAA (sociology, eng lang and psychology)

thank you!

Heya! It's better to start your revision as soon as possible! make notes, flashcards, spider diagrams and etc. Don't leave it until the last second! The earlier you start and keep up with your notes, the less stressed you will be later on!

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

thank you!

I think you should sort out all your year 12 revision now. Like completely sort it out. Make sure you have all your notes in order, write or organise your complete revision notes. Organise the tests you've already done and note the parts you need to revise. Then i would spend a considerable amount of time recapping and making sure you've got the parts you couldn't do before down.

I would also recommend pre-reading year 13 and making some notes. For example making notes from online and practicing your essay skills before the year starts. Then when you get to class in year 13, it'll be like you're revising it instead of learning, you can just edit your notes that you have already made with the extra things your teacher says in class. Then when you go home make your revision material from that immediately.
You can also start looking at year 13 topic tests side by side with the mark scheme. Just read it or print it out and write it in. Since you won't necessarily have understood the content as you haven't been taught it it'll just get you used to the format of the questions, the key terminology they want AND the common questions that will 60% of the time come up. You'll end up soaring through your class tests hopefully so that your predicted grades are good and then you can focus on actually knowing why you have to write it in that format and time management.

Ideally aim to have your notes completed or at least pre written so you have seen all of it by the end of January. Then focus on learning and practice exams.
Literally no time to procrastinate unfortunately, but you start now, you'll be less stressed during the year but at the same time be doing loadsss of work so you won't be falling behind.
Reply 5
thanks everyone :]
Start now, if you really want too. But do not think it is so important that you should block plans for it, enjoy your time at sixth form, don’t just stress about exams all the time or you will live a joyless life.
(edited 1 year ago)
Work smarter not harder. It's better to actively revise for something like practice questions and memorising content rather than passively read out of the textbook and calling it a day. In terms of when, it is advised to start ASAP but honestly I'd enjoy the rest of the holiday thn get straight back to work in September. But its up to u
Reply 8
came across this thread again haha - aside from revising for mocks (mostly y12/early y13 content) and mini assessments, I started my proper revision for the real exams mid-jan right after my mocks were over, my first exam is in 3 weeks and I think ive timed it pretty well!
Reply 9
came across this thread again haha - aside from revising for mocks (mostly y12/early y13 content) and mini assessments, I started my proper revision for the real exams mid-jan right after my mocks were over, my first exam is in 3 weeks and I think ive timed it pretty well!

Good luck!
Reply 10
Original post by z4ra.x
Good luck!

thank you! :smile:
ljklkjjhl

Quick Reply

Latest