The Student Room Group

The big fat STEP megathread (NOT for getting help with maths questions)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
I'm also the only one doing STEP, I'm sitting II with someone else who has a scribe. FML; i'm going to have to listen to someone chatting on about a book or something.
Reply 1981
Meh I haven't revised any STEP today... I really should. :pierre:
I was really really nervous before STEP 1 but feel completely calm and relaxed about STEP 2 now
Reply 1983
Today is waiting, waiting for STEP 1 discussion. :\
Reply 1984
NO today is waiting for tomorrow!

STEP 1 does not need to be discussed!

...better print of 2008 step II and have a go at that
Reply 1985
A question: In a multipart question, if I can't do a part (or even the first part) but I can see how to do the rest (and do it). I would get all the marks minus the marks allocated for the first/middle part, right?
I would expect so (possibly minus an extra mark or so), but remember that no-one knows exactly how STEP is marked to give a definitive answer. I wouldn't do a question where I knew I couldn't do the first bit until I'd run out of options.
Reply 1987
my STEP II prep today has involved a 25 miles bike ride, made sure ive worn myself out for a decent nights sleep, thats good prep isnt it? :s-smilie:
I had a good game of football yesterday to chill out after STEP I :h:
Reply 1989
Just got a Warwick reading list... thanks, but I'll save my reading till I get to university.
Reply 1990
i had a nice long nap after Step I yesterday, it gave me an intense migrane
miml
Just got a Warwick reading list... thanks, but I'll save my reading till I get to university.

Where? :O In the post? I want to learn about maffs too :frown:
Reply 1992
Done STEP II '09 today :frown: only managed Q1,4,5,6. Q7 looked deceptively easy.
Reply 1993
ziedj
Where? :O In the post? I want to learn about maffs too :frown:

email

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/admissions/ug/readinglist2010.pdf
Urgh just got in from exams. D1 (OCR MEI) was the biggest pile of **** ever. What the hell. Latin wasn't any better. Need this time for STEP. Right, plan of action: Play clarinet for a couple of hours then do some serious STEPing.
Reply 1995
Did Q1 step II 2008.

Examiners report says:

"There were two straightforward linear factors easily found to the quartic expression, leaving a quadratic factor which could yield no real roots. Many candidates failed to explain why, or show that, this was so."

I don't usually explain things like this...if I see (4y^2 + 1)(y^2 - 1) I just look at "4y^2 + 1" and don't even bother to try and solve, but I don't write down 'This has no real roots'.

How many marks do they knock off for things like this?
Reply 1996
Whoever warned me, 2009 was last year?

It was in my junk email :h: Not much of a "list" though... :frown:
jj193
Whoever warned me, 2009 was last year?

I have consulted several of my calendars and you are correct.
How long till we can discuss yesterday's papers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending