The Student Room Group

Will i still be able to do medicine with a 5 in gcse maths

When checking requirements for gcse grades i noticed you need at least a 6 in math (while i have a 5). Im confident i can get AAAs and a good Ucat score, the rest of my gcses were also not that bad. Are there any unis that dont take gsces into account as much or would i have to take foundation year?
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
If they state you need a 6 in GCSE maths and apply without it, you will be automatically rejected. GCSE requirements for maths and English language are normally "hard" requirements.

Even medical schools that don't score GCSEs normally have minimum requirements (e.g. UCL, Imperial).

You should probably aim to resit the GCSE Maths to bring it up to a 6 as many have that as a requirement - if you limit your choices by those which will accept just a 5 in GCSE Maths I suspect you'll have very few options once you adjust for other factors as well.
Original post by sinuous-compound
When checking requirements for gcse grades i noticed you need at least a 6 in math (while i have a 5). Im confident i can get AAAs and a good Ucat score, the rest of my gcses were also not that bad. Are there any unis that dont take gsces into account as much or would i have to take foundation year?
Some do but not a lot
for example Exeter and Some foundation courses but a lot now want six so you need to research each uni to see
(edited 1 month ago)
You could try resit, potentially considering getting a tutor to help bump up the grade too?
Or you could shop around, go down the ranking list and make a note of entry requirements to see if there are any you could go to that would accept a 5 in maths
Original post by Autumn223
You could try resit, potentially considering getting a tutor to help bump up the grade too?
Or you could shop around, go down the ranking list and make a note of entry requirements to see if there are any you could go to that would accept a 5 in maths
Ok thank you!!
Original post by lilysilly_5454
Some do but not a lot
for example Exeter and Some foundation courses but a lot now want six so you need to research each uni to see
Ill keep this in mind. Thank you for the help!!
Original post by artful_lounger
If they state you need a 6 in GCSE maths and apply without it, you will be automatically rejected. GCSE requirements for maths and English language are normally "hard" requirements.
Even medical schools that don't score GCSEs normally have minimum requirements (e.g. UCL, Imperial).
You should probably aim to resit the GCSE Maths to bring it up to a 6 as many have that as a requirement - if you limit your choices by those which will accept just a 5 in GCSE Maths I suspect you'll have very few options once you adjust for other factors as well.
Thank you for the advice!!
there is a lot of competition so even if they dont require a 6, many people may have applied with 7s and above
Reply 9
Look into Exeter and Newcastle. Possibly Plymouth, Imperial and St Andrews
Original post by ewaadav
Look into Exeter and Newcastle. Possibly Plymouth, Imperial and St Andrews

I think you need a 6 for imperial but Newcastle changed entry requirements so I wouldn’t apply there with a 5 in maths
Reply 11
I wasn’t aware Newcastle had changed - is this for 2025 entry?
Original post by ewaadav
I wasn’t aware Newcastle had changed - is this for 2025 entry?
yes it’s now 50:50 ucat and gcses
Reply 13
Do you mind if I could ask how you know this? I have a friend wanting to apply for 2025 entry and I don’t think he’s aware of this :smile:
Original post by ewaadav
Do you mind if I could ask how you know this? I have a friend wanting to apply for 2025 entry and I don’t think he’s aware of this :smile:

You can email them and they posted a yt video about the changes but Ik it for a fact they are changing for 2025 entry
Reply 15
Ahhh thank you very much, maybe a maths resit is the best solution then!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending