The Student Room Group

The big fat STEP megathread (NOT for getting help with maths questions)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
I think it really depends on how well you are feeling on the day. As people say, a part of what helps you find the clues in the questions to answering things is "your ingenuity." You need that to be at its best, which is really hard to do!
I will trade you your cambridge maths offer for my oxford chemistry offer :wink:
Reply 582
DeanK22
I will trade you your cambridge maths offer for my oxford chemistry offer :wink:

Done.

Wait, what?
Reply 583
DeanK22

Which college are you off too?

I have a friend doing chem at St Catz (or will be if he gets his offer). Its a bit unfortunate for him because although it is the standard 3A offer, he has to get an A in music which involves many essays and the like and is horrible!
DeanK22

You're still doing Chemistry??
yeah I got the damn 3 A offer too :frown: .

There are quite alot of people from Preston (let alone lancashire) who got into Wadham and Jesus [it is a surprising amount really] - it is clear that North lancs pwns Oxford admission tests.
Hashshashin
You're still doing Chemistry??

The plan is to ask to switch - I don't know if that is going to work though :s-smilie:
Reply 587
DeanK22
yeah I got the damn 3 A offer too :frown: .

There are quite alot of people from Preston (let alone lancashire) who got into Wadham and Jesus [it is a surprising amount really] - it is clear that North lancs pwns Oxford admission tests.

:yep:
Reply 588
How can you possibly complain about 3As..? I got a bloody 4 A offer AND I need 1,1 in STEP. :frown:
Reply 589
Adje
With two weeks to go I am beginning to panic. I feel almost totally unprepared, and I think I'll be lucky to get four questions out in three hours. Whether I do well in these exams will be down to pure chance.

Don't worry, you can get away with doing significantly less than 4 good questions and still scrape a 1 (as long as you attempt 6 questions).
Reply 590
yeah im panicking too adje. ive almost done all the papers and im still not getting consistent 1s. not even close. how likely are you to get into cambridge w/ 1,2 if your offer's 1,1?
Reply 591
wigsay
yeah im panicking too adje. ive almost done all the papers and im still not getting consistent 1s. not even close. how likely are you to get into cambridge w/ 1,2 if your offer's 1,1?

Make of this what you will. 40% of candidates that take STEP III get a 1, yet 55-60% of people who get mathematics offers from Cambridge get in. Now, this discrepancy can be made up partially by people who only need a 1,2 (like sonofdot, if he gets a 1 and lowers my chances >:| ^__^), and by people who may have got unconditional offers from doing STEP in previous years, or could perhaps be mature students, but I doubt that that makes up for the full 15%. I don't think that I can give a more precise answer though, sorry.
Reply 592
I think I'm in a slightly better position to mess up my STEP - as I inevitably will, as mine should only be for the maths option in my first year. I'm hoping that if I mess up they still consider me for the CompSci course with another option. Hoping.

Tell you what. I'll just claim I was deliberately getting a 2 to 'make room' for other people on here getting 1's :biggrin:
Is anyone else getting a bit out of touch with STEP with all these other A levels? I've had next to no time for STEP in the last couple of weeks whereas before it was all STEP nearly every day, which wasn't the plan at all. Unfortunately all these hours (literally hundreds) haven't got me to the level I need to be at, so I'm not nearly there yet :frown:
Reply 594
I am planning on not revising anything besides maths (only need a B) from now on. Freestyling my exams all the way baby!

(I haven't done any STEP questions for quite a long time either. It'll be painful to see if I can still do any :s-smilie:)
I find I focus on off sylabbus maths to the extent that I have little time for STEP and Alevels - all in all I think I wil have probably spent 30 - 40 hours on STEP. That I am a bit of dosser - I do not feel confident in any of my A-levels [except FM and fortunately my AS results for my other subjects will drag me up to an A if I get C's at A2] so I basically dodged a bullet.

TBF if you know the sylllabus, understand how STEP is written and have done a few papers I imagine you would be able to get the grades you need comfartably - any other practice is for those who have

a) alot of time on their hands / lower offers

b) need or feel they need SS

I imagine everybody will feel they could of / should of needed to do more.
12 days 'til III and I, guys. I must say, the time's flown.
Reply 597
when is the exact time and date for all the exams.
Also ive herd nothing from the school, do i just show up in the hall??
Thanks
If that is the case the school I go to is the eception as we only have exams in the main hall.
Reply 599
We used to a few years back as the sports hall was being renovated. It was a right faff trying to remember where you were for each exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending