The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Could you not resit? Don't be OTT.
Reply 1381
thats the thing; apparently most uni's dont look at u if u resit. another thing is, they decide with ur as's, not ur a2's.
JizzMan
Hey

basically i have 2A*s, 6As, 3Bs at GCSE and ABBB at AS, with the A in Geography; and i wanna do medicine :|

i think i dont have much of a chance; therefore i was planning to kill myself. However, if any of you, think there are any universities that maybe dont look at AS's and will consider someone with modest GCSE's, cos i am prepared to resit and get good A2's, please tell me those uni's. I'm gonna do ukcat and have a not bad personal statement aswel. its just the grades that are the problem.

jizz out.

you should get an interview with st georges with your current grades. most unis just want people to meet the minimum GCSE requirements which you should be okay with. if you can redo the AS grades and bring all of them up to As then you should get some interviews. you may want to ring up the universities and find out how many look at AS grades. most say that they only look at A level predicted grades, personal statement etc.

make sure that you have all the relevant work experience. that is also really really important. they look for that on the personal statement.

volunteering at a nursing home/hospital/doctors' surgery/charity shop/day centre for the elderly
working with children with special needs/disabilities etc

hope this helps :smile:
Why don't you concentrate this year on getting AAA at A2, work your backside off, then apply next year? Without the stress of a UCAS application and UKCAT, BMAT etc running alongside the absolute requirement to get the grades.
JizzMan
Hey

basically i have 2A*s, 6As, 3Bs at GCSE and ABBB at AS, with the A in Geography; and i wanna do medicine :|

i think i dont have much of a chance; therefore i was planning to kill myself. However, if any of you, think there are any universities that maybe dont look at AS's and will consider someone with modest GCSE's, cos i am prepared to resit and get good A2's, please tell me those uni's. I'm gonna do ukcat and have a not bad personal statement aswel. its just the grades that are the problem.

jizz out.

If you want to try for med then go for it! I know people who got into UCL and Imperial (supposedly v. good med schools) with very similar/worse grades than you got. You don't have to declare your AS grades and can retake bad modules. I suggest applying for a variety of med schools as you may have more chance of success. Make sure your BMAT/UKCAT is good (even if it's not, it isn't the end of the world) and make the rest of your application as good as you can. You will have as much chance as anyone else in my experience. Good luck!
Ok based on my academic grades please may u answer the following two questions:

1) If I stand a higher chance at Aberdeen than Imperial.
2) If I stand a higher chance with UEA than Aberdeen.

Academics:
GCSEs 3A*s 8A's (2 short course) 1 B
AS BBCC BUT I AM RESITTING AND THEY ARE NOT DISCLOSED AND I am hopefully being predicted 3 A's.
UKCAT 600

So any help at all would be really appreciated.

xxx
Reply 1386
JordanCarroll
thought so! i was going to reply to organ saying that, but i thought i'd sound like a nob :p:

yeah do the chem AS if you seriously want to do med, but you're gona have to do some resits aswel,
with all teh extra time you may find it easier :smile: after dropping maths it became easier :h:

you dropped maths and still got into Barts?? you are my god.
and if I do resits most unis wont even consider me, right?
tell me everything you know!!
Reply 1387
I know how upset you must be feeling because I'm in the exact same position. But, for God's sake, be realistic, don't go suicide and be silly about this. For GCSEs I got 1A* 9A's 1B and for my AS I got:
B - Economics and biology (1 mark off an A)
B - maths and chemistry (10 marks off an A, I know it's a lot)

But, just get on with it now, stop contemplating SO much over things because the most you need to do is work work work. Do a few AS resits to bring them to A's and your main objective is to achieve those grades at the end of the year. I've learnt to accept the worst and the worst being is that we may get rejected this year and you'll have to reapply next year but as long as you've got your grades in the end, you're not in a bad position then.

I say go along with your UKCAT as normal, you never know your UKCAT score may suprise you (in a good way). Go with your application as normal, but if you get rejected, you get rejected, but definitely be focussd on getting those A's now. Don't waste your time on here thinking about those grades again and again, what's done now is done.

Most medical schools permit module resits within the two years, so just focus on getting your grades. Write a very strong PS and practice for UKCAT.
Be realistic now and just get on with it. If you do want to achieve those grades, your revision for your resits should start now. You have to have that work ethic from the beginning.

Also, try to convince your teachers to predict you 3 A's.

Also, it is possible, I know this guy on TSR who also got ABBB for his AS, did a few resits worked really hard and got A*AA for his A levels and got into medical school.
JizzMan
Hey

jizz out.

Bring it up at A2, if they don't accept you this year, take a gap year.

It's quite simple really.
Reply 1389
Can you get a prediction of AAA/AAB? If so there shouldn't be too much of an issue, just work hard in your A2 year!
nane93

You don't need maths for medicine.

AS module resits are usually fine. A2 are often fine too (depends on the medical school).
nane93

yeahh the minimum requirements were AAAb, so by getting the B in maths which i dropped, it was all good :h:

nah resits are fine, i know ucl won't like it for 2011 intake tho...
Reply 1392
JordanCarroll
yeahh the minimum requirements were AAAb, so by getting the B in maths which i dropped, it was all good :h:

nah resits are fine, i know ucl won't like it for 2011 intake tho...

I'm not a big fan of UCL so that fine!!
Thanks for all the info.
Okay, can someone please check if my uni choices are ok?

Aberdeen
Keele
Liverpool
Southampton

GCSEs 3A*s, 8A's (2 Short course )1B
AS BBCC (which i'm not cashing in and being predicted 3 A's for hopefully)
UKCAT 600

Thank u :]
Jenna&Sierra.
Okay, can someone please check if my uni choices are ok?

Aberdeen
Keele
Liverpool
Southampton

GCSEs 3A*s, 8A's (2 Short course )1B
AS BBCC (which i'm not cashing in and being predicted 3 A's for hopefully)
UKCAT 600

Thank u :]

Sounds pretty good to me :biggrin:
Reply 1395
jimbob_
I know how upset you must be feeling because I'm in the exact same position. But, for God's sake, be realistic, don't go suicide and be silly about this. For GCSEs I got 1A* 9A's 1B and for my AS I got:
B - Economics and biology (1 mark off an A)
B - maths and chemistry (10 marks off an A, I know it's a lot)

But, just get on with it now, stop contemplating SO much over things because the most you need to do is work work work. Do a few AS resits to bring them to A's and your main objective is to achieve those grades at the end of the year. I've learnt to accept the worst and the worst being is that we may get rejected this year and you'll have to reapply next year but as long as you've got your grades in the end, you're not in a bad position then.

I say go along with your UKCAT as normal, you never know your UKCAT score may suprise you (in a good way). Go with your application as normal, but if you get rejected, you get rejected, but definitely be focussd on getting those A's now. Don't waste your time on here thinking about those grades again and again, what's done now is done.

Most medical schools permit module resits within the two years, so just focus on getting your grades. Write a very strong PS and practice for UKCAT.
Be realistic now and just get on with it. If you do want to achieve those grades, your revision for your resits should start now. You have to have that work ethic from the beginning.

Also, try to convince your teachers to predict you 3 A's.

Also, it is possible, I know this guy on TSR who also got ABBB for his AS, did a few resits worked really hard and got A*AA for his A levels and got into medical school.

man thank you for that; that advice actually cheered me up lol.
and i've gotta say the same about what everyone else has said as well. Thank you so much for your advice and i think im just gonna get down to it and work hard like a college student is supposed to rather than contemplate suicide lol. no more extra ******* or dro, but oh well, entertainment's gotta end some time...
Hi guys, soz new to student room but really need you're help. :confused:

Basics my parents have always wanted me to do med since there practising GPs but I did worse than expected in my AS'. I got an A in maths but slipped up in history where I got an E. also I got like two Cs in in chem and P.E :eek3:

Do I have any chance at med schools anywhere. Had me heart set on UCL but I now its probs unlikely now. :s

Appreciate the input

Sanjeev :yep:
sanjeev123
Hi guys, soz new to student room but really need you're help. :confused:

Basics my parents have always wanted me to do med since there practising GPs but I did worse than expected in my AS'. I got an A in maths but slipped up in history where I got an E. also I got like two Cs in in chem and P.E :eek3:

Do I have any chance at med schools anywhere. Had me heart set on UCL but I now its probs unlikely now. :s

Appreciate the input

Sanjeev :yep:

So do you actually want to do med or are you being forced into it?
vertigo.0012
So do you actually want to do med or are you being forced into it?

No I hav a passion for it! :woo:
Reply 1399
I got
A*-maths
A*-Chem
A*-P.E
A*-History
A-Biology
A-English
A-English lit
A-R.S
A-French
A-Physics

I know they will be good enough for some, but im looking at the top. They all say that ive met the requirements buut are they realistic of the people they actually take?

Latest

Trending

Trending