The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
xx
(edited 13 years ago)
marleyxx
oh no i absolutely agree, it would be totally unfair to play that card because if was a few years ago. It's the effects it had on me this academic year i would only consider saying.

I understand why you're questioning whether i am ready to go to uni, but imagine if you were getting 95-100% in past papers and didn't find the exams difficult - just realised you made basic arithmetic errors orother careless mistakes on lots of questions! The other thing with maths is it's so easy to forget and i'll have to get a job if i take a gap year so i'll probably end up worse than the stage i'm at now.

It's not really unfair it's obviously had a massive impact on you just thinking you're probably best just saying anxiety etc.
I got 5% last year and it really helped not only in the exam but because I had to ask my tutor and other people at college to sort it out for me it highlighted my problems and was just nice that people cared and wanted to help me.. if that makes sense lol
moomin_love
No, she'll easily qualify. I have a certain type of insomnia which means that I've had it all of my life and it becomes awful, like literally not sleeping for days on end around exam times. I could have predicted it was going to happen, but I didn't and I still got special consideration, but I only applied for it in 1 exam because it was 1 exam where I hadn't slept for about 30+ hours. But now I get extra time because I'm so tired a lot of the time that I find my mind wondering off and stuff so it's better for me to have extra time rather than special consideration.

Wow, that happens to me too. Around exam time, I become a complete stresshead and can't go to sleep. I stay up for around about 30-ish hours too when i'm really really anxious about an exam. Since you've already (i'm assuming) had treatment for insomnia, could you inform me on what exactly they prescribe; does it consist of mere sleeping pills because I don't want sleeping pills :no:

I was like this during my english language exam, I was up all night for a business studies exam where I needed to score 98 UMS to get the grade I wanted overall which meant that I had to stay up all night for my english exam. Although, I must admit I stayed up in fear of not achieving an A* :o: as it was a retake where I achieved a B due to my school submitting the wrong essays. I wanted to make sure i'd achieve the same grade I potentially should have attained, but I was extremely anxious and couldn't even revise as I was too tired from the prior business exam. When it came to the exam I vomited and couldn't even read or understand the first question until 10 minutes had passed. I know I mucked that paper up :sad: possibly costing me an A*.

Do you go to sleep more now that you've (again, i'm assuming) have been given treatment.

However, even if it's not exam season; I still don't manage to get a good nights sleep. For example, my exams have officially finished as of 6 days ago but I still stay up until 6/7 am and then catch about 3 hours of sleep until 10 o'clock. Do you experience this too?
suicidaloverbusiness
Wow, that happens to me too. Around exam time, I become a complete stresshead and can't go to sleep. I stay up for around about 30-ish hours too when i'm really really anxious about an exam. Since you've already (i'm assuming) had treatment for insomnia, could you inform me on what exactly they prescribe; does it consist of mere sleeping pills because I don't want sleeping pills :no:

I was like this during my english language exam, I was up all night for a business studies exam where I needed to score 98 UMS to get the grade I wanted overall which meant that I had to stay up all night for my english exam. Although, I must admit I stayed up in fear of not achieving an A* :o: as it was a retake where I achieved a B due to my school submitting the wrong essays. I wanted to make sure i'd achieve the same grade again but I was just really anxious and couldn't even revise as I was too tired from the prior business exam. When it came to the exam I vomited and couldn't even read or understand the first question until 10 minutes had passed. I know I mucked that paper up :sad: possibly costing me an A*.

Do you go to sleep more now that you've ( again, i'm assuming) have been given treatment.

However, even if it's not exam season; I still don't manage to get a good nights sleep. For example, my exams have officially finished as of 6 days ago but I still stay up until 6/7 am and then catch about 3 hours of sleep until 10 o'clock. Do you experience this too?

Haha omg you sound identical to me. I threw up in my English Literature exam lol and yes, I experience exactly the same as you. In secondary school I used to stay up until 4-6am and get up at 7.30am everyday lol. It was awful.

I had counselling provided to me on the NHS, which didn't work and my doctor said there's no point in sleeping tablets because they're only a short-term thing and what I have is a long-term sleeping disorder. I think you should go and see your doctor and ask him to provide a doctor's note because you can submit it to your exam board and they will possibly give you special consideration. Or, (I'm assuming your doing GCSEs) when you go to college submit a doctor's letter requesting either extra time or special consideration - whichever you'd prefer - to the exam's office.
moomin_love
Haha omg you sound identical to me. I threw up in my English Literature exam lol and yes, I experience exactly the same as you. In secondary school I used to stay up until 4-6am and get up at 7.30am everyday lol. It was awful.

I had counselling provided to me on the NHS, which didn't work and my doctor said there's no point in sleeping tablets because they're only a short-term thing and what I have is a long-term sleeping disorder. I think you should go and see your doctor and ask him to provide a doctor's note because you can submit it to your exam board and they will possibly give you special consideration. Or, (I'm assuming your doing GCSEs) when you go to college submit a doctor's letter requesting either extra time or special consideration - whichever you'd prefer - to the exam's office.

Omg, this is exactly how I am. I always stay up until 4-6am and then get up at 7:30 am too. It's good to see that they don't just shrug it off and simply prescribe tablets. I don't think counselling will help tbh...did it help you in any way?

Yes I am doing my GCSEs; technically i've finished my GCSEs but I still don't go to sleep like 'normal' people. It's weird because I really should be getting some rest as I have no stress, anxiety or any work to do.

Isn't it too late to apply for special consideration now because my exam was on the 8th June; besides, I haven't seen my doctor about my sleeping difficulties yet.

Oh and i'm with you when you say you'd prefer extra time, because it's the whole lack of concentration and struggle to keep awake and alert not the fact that i'd need special consideration. I think special consideration should be sanctioned when your learning has been hindered, long-term or short-term and of course anything that affects the undertaking of the exam directly.

One more thing, if I go to my new sixth form and request extra time, won't it seem really...umm...like i'm exploiting the education system for my own advantage.
steffi.alexa
Yeah, I've looked at the rules before and they seem quite vague.

:hugs: Well I still hope that things get better for you!

Urgh, I know. I've been advised to apply for it before and always turned it down because of how people reacted (some people have a 'if you're not in hospital why are you applying' mentality towards it :rolleyes: Some people!). Oh well, stuff them, you evidently deserve it, as does the OP.

I know exactly what you mean. Before my English language exam, I vomited and wasn't feeling too well before the exam anyway. When I mentioned to one of my friends whether i'd qualify for special consideration, they were very resentful towards it as they were saying that I didn't vomit during the exam or on exam booklet. Although, I know the fact that I vomited just before the exam prohibited my ability to do anything for the first 10 minutes, thus resulting in me having to rush the entire paper.
suicidaloverbusiness
I know exactly what you mean. Before my English language exam, I vomited and wasn't feeling too well before the exam anyway. When I mentioned to one of my friends whether i'd qualify for special consideration, they were very resentful towards it as they were saying that I didn't vomit during the exam or on exam booklet. Although, I know the fact that I vomited just before the exam prohibited my ability to do anything for the first 10 minutes, thus resulting in me having to rush the entire paper.

Yeah, people who don't go through it just don't understand. I know that people think that I shouldn't have told unis about the fact that I've got depression etc and some people just don't seem to understand why I haven't been to lessons since February because of that but you just have to ignore them and focus on yourself. It doesn't affect them, so why should they think about it?
steffi.alexa
Yeah, people who don't go through it just don't understand. I know that people think that I shouldn't have told unis about the fact that I've got depression etc and some people just don't seem to understand why I haven't been to lessons since February because of that but you just have to ignore them and focus on yourself. It doesn't affect them, so why should they think about it?

Yeah, I think it's envy and jealousy tbh. It's as if they think we deliberately do these things in order to gain special consideration.
suicidaloverbusiness
Yeah, I think it's envy and jealousy tbh. It's as if they think we deliberately do these things in order to gain special consideration.

Yeah, and a lack of understanding of these sort of things - a lot of the people who were icey towards me think that depression is just feeling a little down :rolleyes: If only! Oh well, stuff 'em. At the end of the day, the decision lies with the exam board, not the person applying for it or the people against it. If the exam board think it's an excuse, they won't get any consideration, simple.
suicidaloverbusiness
Omg, this is exactly how I am. I always stay up until 4-6am and then get up at 7:30 am too. It's good to see that they don't just shrug it off and simply prescribe tablets. I don't think counselling will help tbh...did it help you in any way?

Yes I am doing my GCSEs; technically i've finished my GCSEs but I still don't go to sleep like 'normal' people. It's weird because I really should be getting some rest as I have no stress, anxiety or any work to do.

Isn't it too late to apply for special consideration now because my exam was on the 8th June; besides, I haven't seen my doctor about my sleeping difficulties yet.

Oh and i'm with you when you say you'd prefer extra time, because it's the whole lack of concentration and struggle to keep awake and alert not the fact that i'd need special consideration. I think special consideration should be sanctioned when your learning has been hindered, long-term or short-term and of course anything that affects the undertaking of the exam directly.

One more thing, if I go to my new sixth form and request extra time, won't it seem really...umm...like i'm exploiting the education system for my own advantage.

No, not at all. I was recommended to ask my doctor for a letter saying that extra time would benefit me. You just give them a doctor's note and the exam board sort it out. They won't question you about it and if they do just say that you found it really difficult throughout your GCSE exams and you know this will help show your true potential.
steffi.alexa
Yeah, and a lack of understanding of these sort of things - a lot of the people who were icey towards me think that depression is just feeling a little down :rolleyes: If only! Oh well, stuff 'em. At the end of the day, the decision lies with the exam board, not the person applying for it or the people against it. If the exam board think it's an excuse, they won't get any consideration, simple.

Seriously! How ******* apathetic, these people sicken me?!
moomin_love
No, not at all. I was recommended to ask my doctor for a letter saying that extra time would benefit me. You just give them a doctor's note and the exam board sort it out. They won't question you about it and if they do just say that you found it really difficult throughout your GCSE exams and you know this will help show your true potential.

Ok cool thanks, i'll make sure I do that. Do you know how long the process is?
suicidaloverbusiness
Seriously! How ******* apathetic, these people sicken me?!

I've come across more of that sort of stuff for eating disorders though. It's all just ignorance so I try to explain it to them and then leave it, when I have the energy anyway. But as I said, it's not up to them whether or not people get special consideration it's up to the exam board, so everyone should just ignore them and those type of people shouldn't stop you or the OP applying for it if you feel you should.
but my social anxiety and depression came flooding back and I hardly ever attended because I panicked at even the though of leaving my house.

with the greatest respect are you wise to even consider going to university?
steffi.alexa
I've come across more of that sort of stuff for eating disorders though. It's all just ignorance so I try to explain it to them and then leave it, when I have the energy anyway. But as I said, it's not up to them whether or not people get special consideration it's up to the exam board, so everyone should just ignore them and those type of people shouldn't stop you or the OP applying for it if you feel you should.

I just can't believe some people can be so ignorant towards such serious issues. Anyway, you're right I am going to see if I can get special consideration albeit other beliefs.
hypocriticaljap
but my social anxiety and depression came flooding back and I hardly ever attended because I panicked at even the though of leaving my house.

with the greatest respect are you wise to even consider going to university?

I think the OP is extremely brave for taking such a colossal step forward and having the courage to get back on her feet. If she realises she can't handle uni after a while, she can always take a gap year and reapply when she's ready.
suicidaloverbusiness
I just can't believe some people can be so ignorant towards such serious issues. Anyway, you're right I am going to see if I can get special consideration albeit other beliefs.

They've probably just never been affected by these issues :dontknow: Mind you, I was never that ignorant before all of this. Might just be a mix of ignorance and the bravado that being 17/18/etc gives them.
steffi.alexa
They've probably just never been affected by these issues :dontknow: Mind you, I was never that ignorant before all of this. Might just be a mix of ignorance and the bravado that being 17/18/etc gives them.

In a nutshell; they're all arsewipes :biggrin: lol
Reply 38
suicidaloverbusiness

I would rather have the issues I do and have the same amount of time as everyone else.
Titch89
I would rather have the issues I do and have the same amount of time as everyone else.

Even if it's unjust? Well that's completely up to you, there's no need to criticise someone else for using their own initiative to do what's right :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending