The Student Room Group

Bradford vs Wolverhampton vs Greenwich

Hello. I know my question is a bit long so I thank you in advance if you've chosen to spend the time and answer it.

I'm a foreign student from the EU who's coming to the UK to study. The three universities I've been accepted into are Greenwich, Wolverhampton and Bradford. The course I've applied to is Business Management.

Wolverhampton seems to be bashed quite a lot around these forums. I've also seen a few ranking tables and Wolverhampton and Greenwich seem to be rather at the bottom (maybe their business schools are somewhat better though?). But Wolverhampton offers quite nice scholarship for students from the EU and I read at their site that they guarantee a paid placement for students chosen the sandwich program. It is also very close to Birmingham so that could prove useful in looking for a part-time job.

Greenwich is also at the bottom of the rankings but on the other side is in London which I suppose can't be a bad thing although it will be more expensive I suppose living in London can be very good life experience wise and of course make it easy for finding a part-time job.

Bradford seems like the best university choice of all three from what I've read and also its business school has a rather good reputation http://www.bradford.ac.uk/admin/pr/pressreleases/2007/mgt-ranking.php. The city itself seems bashed a bit from some people as well but I guess that's exaggerated. What I'd like to know is how are the part-time job opportunities for students (I read the city is ranked among the ten biggest so I suppose that means they are good?)

There's also another last thing - I'm hoping I'll be successful in my grades wherever I choose to go and go to one of the top universities for my Masters. However I read that a top university might think twice before accepting a student even with A grades if they come from a university with reputation as a degree mill that graduates students who really don't have a clue. Does any of those three universities have such reputation?

Thank you.
Bradford has the best academic reputation of the three, and is an 'old university', i.e. not one that was recently upgraded to that status as the other two here were.

Greenwich has much the best location. Not just because it's in London: Greenwich is rather a nice part of London.

If I had to choose one of those three, Wolverhampton wouldn't feature in my thinking, I'm afraid.
Reply 2
i live in wolverhampton i wouldnt advise it lmao, the night life is awful and the only posotive is its only about a 20 minute train journey to birmingham, in terms of the uni i wouldnt pick wolvo either, its getting better dont get me wrong but its still way off in terms of reputation etc id go for bradford or greenwich.
Reply 3
Thanks for the input, I knew it was pretty much going to come to location of Greenwich vs University of Bradford leaving Wolverhampton out. But I still can't make up my mind. Is it worth going to an inferior university because of its location? Is it only a bit worse than Bradford? Will it be easy finding a job in Bradford if I choose it? :/
Reply 4
Well technically we got voted the 5th worst city in the world by the lonely planet guide (wolverhampton) but i wouldn't say it's quite that bad, probably not as good as bardford or greenwich though, i'd go for greenwich if i were you :smile:
Reply 5
Definitely Bradford given the subject - it has a decent reputation for business /management and the business school is in a nice bit of the city and is pretty. A friend went to Bradford and she had no trouble finding parttime work. The city has some nice bits (although its reputation is not great) and is very close to Leeds for good shopping etc. And it's cheap to live there.
Given you want to go on to do an MA somewhere good, I think Bradford would be a much better choice than either of the others.
(oh and check your course at Greenwich is actually taught in London - I thought business was based at their medway campus, which isn't in London but near Rochester in Kent.)
I live 15 minutes from Wolverhampton and I would never study there, it's an absolute dive!
Don't go Wolverhampton, just don't.
Absolute ********.
Reply 8
genadiren

There's also another last thing - I'm hoping I'll be successful in my grades wherever I choose to go and go to one of the top universities for my Masters. However I read that a top university might think twice before accepting a student even with A grades if they come from a university with reputation as a degree mill that graduates students who really don't have a clue. Does any of those three universities have such reputation?

Thank you.

That isn't true, I did my undergrad at Wolverhampton Uni and have been offered places at Edinburgh, Durham, Warwick and York to do my masters. For your course I wouldn't really advise Wolverhampton, and tbh its a crap place to live. As for the jobs situation for part time work you have to compete with students from 3 universities for jobs in Birmingham and Wolverhampton itself is terrible for part time jobs.
Honestly don't know why Wolvo gets such hate.
I have had many a good night there, don't know about the uni though i know its not highly ranked.
I've only ever been to Planet and that 80's club that closed like a year ago.. it's pretty crap to be fair, like Walsall.. I'd much rather taxi it to Brum for a good night out..
Reply 11
Greenwich. Nobel prize winner alumnus FTW.

Bradford's MBA adverts I seem to recall appear quite often in The Economist. It makes me think they are at least serious about their business programme.
Reply 12
Soooo... Bradford it is then? :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending