The Student Room Group

Aston vs Wolverhampton, which is better?

I am looking to study MPharm at university and I am unsure of what to put down as my insurance choice.

I have looked into the University of Wolverhampton and have found that it offers an independent prescribing course which is really good but it is quite far from where I am. I have also looked into Aston University and it is closer however people I've been talking to are telling me different things, so I am under the impression that there are more negatives than positives at Aston. Can someone tell me a bit about how both of these universities are? Also, it'll also be helpful if you attend(ed) these universities.
Hey I think is aston is the best of both. It has a great faculty and it is fully accredited by gphc , the professors are really helpul too. Wolverhampton on the other hand doesnt have a great reputation in pharmacy. Which is your firm choice tho?
Reply 2
Original post by Dandelion159
Hey I think is aston is the best of both. It has a great faculty and it is fully accredited by gphc , the professors are really helpul too. Wolverhampton on the other hand doesnt have a great reputation in pharmacy. Which is your firm choice tho?

Birmingham is my firm choice. Do you go to Aston? Because I've heard that the professors aren't that helpful but that might be for other subjects so idk.
I know people who went to both, and they all became good pharmacists. The secret is to learn how to manage your time, as university is all about self-study.
At A level you usually have one or two teachers/lecturers for each subject, and they usually help in pushing you through the 2 yrs.
At university you could encounter a couple of dozen lecturers teaching different modules at the start.
Apart from your personal tutor, (if you ever see them??!) there is nobody pushing you along.
You are paying to be there and take the course.
You need to organise yourself to pass the exams each of the 4 yrs to get the degree, and then pass the pre-reg exam. If you can master self-directed learning, then it doesn't matter where you study.

We were always told, if you miss a few lectures, but get the notes off a friend or online then it doesn't matter. But always go to your practical sessions, and seminars and tutorials, as you are much more likely to be missed!
I did my degree a long time ago, but I'm sure there is still a bit of truth in the above. ( I stand corrected if anyone wants to tell me about the huge changes in teaching the degree, from the old days of lectures and practicals.)

Returning to your original query......overall Aston is ranked much higher than Wolverhampton, in general, and also for pharmacy. Mainly as it has taught pharmacy for much longer than W'ton.

(I must admit I was shocked at reading average pharmacy graduate earnings are only £32k after 5 yrs!... I was earning £30k in 2000.)
Original post by IK1326
I am looking to study MPharm at university and I am unsure of what to put down as my insurance choice.

I have looked into the University of Wolverhampton and have found that it offers an independent prescribing course which is really good but it is quite far from where I am. I have also looked into Aston University and it is closer however people I've been talking to are telling me different things, so I am under the impression that there are more negatives than positives at Aston. Can someone tell me a bit about how both of these universities are? Also, it'll also be helpful if you attend(ed) these universities.

Don't worry about the IP course.
They are changing the pharmacy degree syllabus, so that all pharmacists starting the degree now will qualify as Independent prescribers automatically as part of your pharmacy degree. Which is great news!
Out of curiosity, what are you doing now as you don’t seem to be working in the field of pharmacy? If you don’t mind me asking
Reply 6
Original post by Kilani007
Out of curiosity, what are you doing now as you don’t seem to be working in the field of pharmacy? If you don’t mind me asking

i'm doing my a levels but i want to do pharmacy at university
Original post by IK1326

Hi there,

I don't study pharmacy but I have worked with people who studied it at Aston and I've taken some modules with them as well. Aston is home to the leading community of renowned researchers and is ranked in the top 10 in the UK for research quality in Pharmacology and Pharmacy (Complete University Guide, 2022). The Pharmacy MPharm degree at Aston is accredited by the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC), which is one of the key requirements to practice as a pharmacist in the UK.
Aston is a very small university which means you are able to get individualised help from staff. In my experience, I have had more positives as a student here than negatives and am currently studying for my second undergraduate degree at Aston. Everyone's experience is different and, though I don't know exactly what you've heard, I wouldn't let it colour your decision. Aston is located in the heart of Birmingham so it's really close to almost everything. It has a very diverse community which is good for fostering relationships. There are also a lot of societies and clubs available to join which will be good for someone looking to make the most of their social and extracurricular life as well. People look for different things in a university so I might have just said all of this and it might be of no consequence to you. Do you have any specific questions about Aston? I'll be happy to answer them

*Ethel
Aston BY FAR and even similar, UCB. UoW is a nightmare (I'm a student there and now I know why the pass rate is abysmal - 64%!) Both the faults of students who don't want to help each other and staff, who the majority just don't give a crap (I was literally told this by one of the many bad lecturers during my first year, when asking a question regarding pharmacy)!! Slow responses from staff, lack of support (masqueraded by offering a SAMS, but if the lecturers' attitudes are shocking, how do you expect hard-working students to attain the best outcomes when asking simple questions to them that Pharmacists should be expected to know, only to be fobbed off?). Lecturers would always pretend on giving helpful advice outside of their lectures/assignments, when in fact, it was just vague, generalistic advice that didn't mean jack! Also, you will often find that the Pharmacists who teach pharmacy students on the course are the bad, cashing-in-filling-time lecturers, not the Pharmacologists, who actually show something called humanity! Too bad the Pharmacists are majorly your assessment leads, so whatever they say, goes! (even though countless times, I've seen them make mistakes, get angry, make up stupid excuses, are unreasonable to change, etc.)

I used to believe it doesn't matter what uni you go to - boy was I wrong! Check the pass rates of that course across differing universities and the answer speaks for itself. I had the option of going to UCB, big regret not choosing it.

TLDR; If you are a student who likes to horse around, doesn't mind being berated by lecturers and likes to form fake, actor-like friendships - go to UoW.
But, if you are a student who wants to achieve the best, work hard, get along with staff and students on a humane level, participate where possible to help everyone and not afraid to share criticism where due to lecturers and students, then go to Aston or UCB or just any other high-pass rate attending uni for the MPharm.

P.S. I have many more bad, specific stories from UoW and their system (eVision), but I am getting a headache and would prefer to talk it in person or on a call lol. Not all students and staff were bad, but it was just an overwhelming majority of them. Those few good lecturers won't carry you across the course, so honestly, just don't bother going here. There used to be several good lecturers but they have left and now, all you are getting are staff who are on 1 year, out the next (I knew one who was going to Aston - what a surprise!) and staff who have been there for a long period of time and refuse to change, and provide actual supportive help. For them, it is just doing a job and not providing individualised support (as mentioned by Ethel in this thread). Trust me, the facilities for the MPharm at UoW do NOT justify the £9250 p/a, unlike UCB and Aston, which have way better libraries and actual, simulated dispensaries!
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending