The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not get on with my flatmates
I'm personally very worried about not making the grades to get to my first choice but about actually GOING to uni, I'm not worried at all :smile:

I'm really ready to get on with that stage of my life and I figure everyone is in the same boat so of course I'll make friends! I also go to school with 6 other people going to my first choice, one or two of whom I'm really good friends with. Being away from home will be a bit sad yeah but I'm not too far away and the terms are short so I'll still see my family lots :smile:

In any case I'm looking forward to throwing myself into the drama and dance societies so I'm pretty sure I'll make friends quick :smile:
1. Not getting the grades to get in to my firm :heart:
2. Getting **** grades once I'm there, as I really want to do a Master's.
3. Everyone else being really antisocial and/or scarily ambitious (this is a specific concern for my uni).
4. Not getting on with my roommate(s).
5. Poor teaching quality (again, from rumours about my uni).
6. Lack of money.
7. Not having enough time to manage all the bits of my life properly.

Yeah...so uni should be fun :awesome:
Reply 83
Tha_Black_Shinobi
where are you going again?:ahee:

Kings, the thug medics of London go there :facepalm2:
Reply 84
No lads.
That would literally ruin my three years.
Reply 85
Hating everyone doing medicine as some sort of envious projections.
Sakujo
Kings, the thug medics of London go there :facepalm2:

I thought you were doing dentistry? regardless I think Kings Dentistry must be hands down the most Asian course in the country
Reply 87
Being the only black guy from London.
Reply 88
to all the peoplle worried about having crap flatmates...dont be. i hated every single one of mine first year, but as long as you have mates from around the uni you're fine....i just hang out with them instead and ignore them!! most people i know have at least one flatmate they cant stand, it's normal and unless you have NO other friends to chill with instead then it's such a non-issue...i've enjoyed the 1st year so much despite this
1) Not getting in. My literature exam (the infamous AQA exam on the 15th!) went horribly, and so I don't know what the hell is gonna happen now.

2) Not finding anybody to hang out with/become friends with. I'm terribly scared of being lonely, and considering that I'm going to King's College alone, I'd hate to always be by my lonesome.

3) Hating the course. It's my dream to study Literature, but I'm an incredibly slow reader and I'm worried that I'm gonna have to write longwinded assingments on books/plays/poems that I dispise.

4) Not fitting in and being picked on for not being as 'smart' as the others and not being from a 'traditional white Anglo-Saxon Christian background'.
Reply 90
Tha_Black_Shinobi
I thought you were doing dentistry? regardless I think Kings Dentistry must be hands down the most Asian course in the country

True, true:rofl:

But still a bit apprehensive of making close friends at uni, I just don't want to be the guy at halls when everyone else is going out.
Reply 91
I'm worried about:
- People finding me so strange that I will have to adopt a new persona to continue with life; and then get caught at it. < yes, I really do believe no one will like me.
- Not being smart enough; I'm doing engineering and I constantly fear that people will be able to 'see' things I won't. [as opposed to being too smart and people all not liking me for my smartness]
- Having to find my way around (being international, from a country where public transport is a myth, you can see this fear is actually quite rational).
Not getting there is my only concern atm
Reply 93
Angela_Beth
I'm worried about:

a) Not getting the grades - I think I'd be devastated if I didn't get in after all the effort!
b) Finding the work obscenely difficult and having to drop out and move back home
c) Everyone being a lot smarter than I am, and feeling like an idiot.
d) Everyone being really posh
e) Building it up in my head so I'm really disappointed
e) And, of course, not making good friends there.

That about sums it up :smile:

I'm not really a mass of nerves. Not yet, anyway! I am really, really looking forward to university, and meeting lots of new people who will hopefully be very nice.

:ditto:
Especially the first one, but the second two close behind. Cambridge right? going, hopefully, to oxford and majorly worried about the lack of fun. Everyone else I know at Bristol/Leeds/Durham etc have the most amazing times ever.....I've heard Fresher's Week in oxford is more like Fresher's Day before they hit you with your first essay :frown:
-I don't think I'm clever enough to go to uni
-Not fitting in/finding anyone nice
-Getting lost in London and then dying in a ditch
-People stealing my food/being pickpocketed

Not to worry, I probably won't get in anyway!
Krakatoa
No lads.
That would literally ruin my three years.

If you wanted a good gay scene then you should have applied to Brighton
Racism, generalisation, prejudice...
Hmm bit worried about finances. Think most of the rest stuff will work out.
Also.. reckon i'll be quite lonely during christmas holiday, doubt i'll go home for only a few weeks. Might try to get work for that time tho.
The first half an hour when your parents leave and you are completely ALONE, with no one you know, in a strange city...

Having said that I do know about 7 people going to my uni, so I can call on one of them for backup if needed!!

Other than that. CANT WAIT!!!!
taylor2010
I've applied to UCL to study History in September 210. I'm scared of 1) not getting the grades to get their in the first place, 2) not fitting in but 3) people being a lot smarter than me. I feel I might struggle as I have applied to a university - where - if I get in that is - I will be working out of my comfort zone!
I'm also concerned like you - I'm not very talkative - I'm quite a shy person and I'm not a party animal that's for sure. I'm hoping I will find some like-minded people at univeristy though. Fingers crossed.

UCL 2010 too, im very similar :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending