The Student Room Group

Alcohol free accomodation

Hi, I'll hopefully be starting at uni of Southampton in September, I've started looking at accommodation, and I'm wondering whether to go for alcohol-free. I don't drink at all currently (and don't plan to) but I would still be open to going out with people (not to clubs but bars/pubs/places you can enjoy sober), but I'm scared that not drinking would be quite isolating if flatmates are all going out drinking together to places I wouldn't enjoy. However I'm also scared that alcohol-free flats would be too lowkey / not social enough? Has anyone got any advice, stayed in an alocol-free flat or done uni sober?

Thanks!
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by libbyr4
Hi, I'll hopefully be starting at uni of Southampton in September, I've started looking at accommodation, and I'm wondering whether to go for alcohol-free. I don't drink at all currently (and don't plan to) but I would still be open to going out with people (not to clubs but bars/pubs/places you can enjoy sober), but I'm scared that not drinking would be quite isolating if flatmates are all going out drinking together to places I wouldn't enjoy. However I'm also scared that alcohol-free flats would be too lowkey / not social enough? Has anyone got any advice, stayed in an alocol-free flat or done uni sober?

Thanks!
Hi @libbyr4

I haven't gone through university 100% sober but I'm not a big drinker myself. I still find myself going out and clubbing, but often don't drink, and find the experience just as fun. My flat mates aren't drinkers really either, and they're definitely not lowkey! I don't think you would find a regular flat or alcohol free flat much different, and if you choose regular accommodation, I'm sure you'll find that your flat mates aren't solely focused on drinking.

There isn't really a bad choice here, it's down to whatever makes you feel most comfortable. But my best advice would be that you don't need to worry about not drinking, as you're bound to fit in in either style accommodation regardless of your drinking status. 🙂

Hope this helps!
Emily
Student Rep at BCU
I’m also hoping to start at Southampton this September and not big on drinking either! I’ve met a couple of other girls going in the same situation. You’re absolutely not going to be the only one and I think regardless of what kind of flat you end up in you’ll definitely be able to meet people who feel the same!! 🙂 (me included)
Reply 3
Original post by rosina05
I’m also hoping to start at Southampton this September and not big on drinking either! I’ve met a couple of other girls going in the same situation. You’re absolutely not going to be the only one and I think regardless of what kind of flat you end up in you’ll definitely be able to meet people who feel the same!! 🙂 (me included)

that's good to hear! do you have socials? I'd love to get to know people going in September haha :smile:
Original post by libbyr4
that's good to hear! do you have socials? I'd love to get to know people going in September haha :smile:

I have dmed you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending