The Student Room Group

Physics A level - will i struggle?

Hey,
I'm just wondering how hard i will find A level Physics when i start in September. I find it quite difficult at GCSE, probably the hardest subject and should get an A/A*, but that is with a HUGE amount of background work to keep on track. I'm worried because it is meant to be one of the hardest A levels and i'm not sure i will cope. I am however, prepared to work hard and am quite passionate about it. I understand a lot of maths is involved, and again, i struggle.
I appreciate any replies and views,
Thankyou
Reply 1
I took A-level physics with a C in both maths and physics at GCSE. I managed an 'A' at AS without any real revision since I found I took it in first time round. I could've probably gone on to get an A at the full A-level had I not ****** everything up for myself. I also didn't take maths at AS/A-level. I think I did so well at AS because I was interested. If you're interested, then you're more inclined to pay attention or read up on the work. I'm sure you'll be fine! :smile:
Reply 2
I was in this predicament a few months ago... Basically, it's quite a big step up from GCSE, with more Maths and equations et cetera. However, if you study independently to consolidate your knowledge then you should be fine (so I've been told).

If you're predicted A/A*, you should be fine and an A grade should be possible, surely? :rambo:
Reply 3
Thankyou very much for the replies :smile: This has certainly given me more confidence now.
Reply 4
Yeah you should be fine. All I would recommend, if you do start to struggle is to get one of the GCP books. They actually contain all of the things you need, and I know people who have just used them and average 90% in the exams... they are definitely worth it :smile:
Reply 5
Paske
Yeah you should be fine. All I would recommend, if you do start to struggle is to get one of the GCP books. They actually contain all of the things you need, and I know people who have just used them and average 90% in the exams... they are definitely worth it :smile:

Okay, thanks, i will definetely bear that in mind!
Reply 6
If your passionate about the subject and hard working than a high grade is very realistic. Usually the people with a passion/interest for Physics grasp the principles well. I personally found it really hard. But it came out good in the end.

Key is to understand the principles and with some past papers, you can pretty much answer any question.
Reply 7
zeviper
If your passionate about the subject and hard working than a high grade is very realistic. Usually the people with a passion/interest for Physics grasp the principles well. I personally found it really hard. But it came out good in the end.

Key is to understand the principles and with some past papers, you can pretty much answer any question.

Best answer yet. Its all about your passion. I took physics AS, just because I thought it was a commendable A level. I didn't enjoy GCSE, and I hated the actual subject with a passion. I came out with a U. And I'm not stupid, I'm an A/B student in everything else, but me and physics just didnt click. If you enjoyti, you'll do well, I'd say that for any subject really.
Reply 8
zeviper

Okay, thanks very much!! :smile: Thats a real confidence booster as i am very passionate about it all :p:
Reply 9
Paske

What does the GCP stand for?

and btw from which year should i start downloading the new GCE syllabus papers?
Reply 10
08batee
I am however, prepared to work hard and am quite passionate about it.

If this is true I am not worried for you. All anyone needs are these two things.

PS. physics A-level is almost maths-free, it's kind of ridiculous in my opinion since physics is essentially applied maths, but this might be a good thing if you don't like maths.
Reply 11
princejan7
What does the GCP stand for?

and btw from which year should i start downloading the new GCE syllabus papers?

Sorry I meant CGP - http://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/pages/home.asp

umm they started in 2008... so from then :smile:

EDIT: you may remembered CGP from GCSE, but they did help a lot of my friends... but I was never good with them.
Paske
Sorry I meant CGP - http://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/pages/home.asp

umm they started in 2008... so from then :smile:

EDIT: you may remembered CGP from GCSE, but they did help a lot of my friends... but I was never good with them.

well ill be doing Edexcel Physics this year
I had a look at the sample page of the CGP Edexcel AS book for Physics and noticed that it mentioned in certain places that ""you dont need to know how this is/works."" When I study i like to have an extremely detailed version of the topic. for this reason, would it be better to buy the AS Physics book( which covers topics from all boards) or on the Edexcel specific book which is likely to leave out stuff?
Reply 13
princejan7
well ill be doing Edexcel Physics this year
I had a look at the sample page of the CGP Edexcel AS book for Physics and noticed that it mentioned in certain places that ""you dont need to know how this is/works."" When I study i like to have an extremely detailed version of the topic. for this reason, would it be better to buy the AS Physics book( which covers topics from all boards) or on the Edexcel specific book which is likely to leave out stuff?

Personally... I would just go for the Edexcel one... at the end of the day its just revision, and just the things you need to know. I had a look at what you were talking about and it was talking about the photoelectric effect, yes? I don't think that any revision guide will tell you about any experiments of the photoelectric effect.

All boards are basically teach you the same but maybe in a different order... there may be the odd thing, but not much. I recommend you go to WHSmith and compare the books, and then decide.

But tbh, the textbook you receive from your teacher has a higher chance of explaining how it works even though you don't need to know. I remember at some points the Nelson thornes book we had stated "this isn't required in the A Level spec." but goes onto explain it anyway. At the end of the day the revision guide gives you the essentials that you need to get 100%

Good luck.

Latest