The Student Room Group

A level physics without maths

so i take alevel physics without alevel maths and its so so hard,,,,, are there any websites or something that i can use which can help me with the maths side of alevel physics? its not like i can drop alevel physics at this point given that im literally almost finished with the year12 content for physics,,, is getting an A/A* without maths still possible though? if its this hard in year 12, im really scared for year 13,,,

if u guys can provide resources that can help me out i'd much appreciate it
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by yaz2007
so i take alevel physics without alevel maths and its so so hard,,,,, are there any websites or something that i can use which can help me with the maths side of alevel physics? its not like i can drop alevel physics at this point given that im literally almost finished with the year12 content for physics,,, is getting an A/A* without maths still possible though? if its this hard in year 12, im really scared for year 13,,,
physics is definitely possible to do well in without taking maths, i know people that only take physics and not maths (i take both so cant speak from my own experience) but its definitely possible to still get high grades without maths
if youre struggling with any new maths concepts maybe ask maths/physics teachers at your college if they can explain it
I think theres a maths skill book for physics on the ocr website too
Reply 3
Original post by bluegray
physics is definitely possible to do well in without taking maths, i know people that only take physics and not maths (i take both so cant speak from my own experience) but its definitely possible to still get high grades without maths
if youre struggling with any new maths concepts maybe ask maths/physics teachers at your college if they can explain it
I think theres a maths skill book for physics on the ocr website too
since u take both, what do you find easier? maths or physics
I'm in the same position as you, as I am currently taking Physics but don't take maths. It is not very common but I believe it can be done but is very hard - I find it extremely hard and can't imagine how it is in year 13. I think I am taking it at AS level but I understand that it isn't available in every school, as I am finding it really hard especially with my other 3 subjects.
I would say just going over content regularly and try make sure that you understand the concepts as I find it easier to do the maths once i understand the concepts. Going through exam questions and looking at the mark schemes really help break down how the examiner wants it to be done/laid out and just how to answer the question as it can be difficult to figure out where to start. Get use to using the equations sheet as really helped me tackle the maths.
I would just say try your hardest and keep going at it -just try lots of exam questions and going over content.
Reply 5
Original post by alisha_grace
I'm in the same position as you, as I am currently taking Physics but don't take maths. It is not very common but I believe it can be done but is very hard - I find it extremely hard and can't imagine how it is in year 13. I think I am taking it at AS level but I understand that it isn't available in every school, as I am finding it really hard especially with my other 3 subjects.
I would say just going over content regularly and try make sure that you understand the concepts as I find it easier to do the maths once i understand the concepts. Going through exam questions and looking at the mark schemes really help break down how the examiner wants it to be done/laid out and just how to answer the question as it can be difficult to figure out where to start. Get use to using the equations sheet as really helped me tackle the maths.
I would just say try your hardest and keep going at it -just try lots of exam questions and going over content.
i mean, i take biology, chemistry and physics, so balancing out the work between all three science alevels is really hard, and especially for physics since im taking it without doing maths. i do go over the content regularly, but its not really the content i struggle with, its more the exam style questions, specifically the questions that u can only solve using algebraic manipulation, ratios, trig, etc. this is not to say i dont understand the maths, i do- i understand that most of alevel physics is higher level gcse maths,,,, i understand the maths, but on its own. same way i understand the theory, but on its own. but in questions where both the theory and maths are combined together, that trips me up, and i get really confused. i think when it comes to actually doing exam practice questions,, i get stuck on the first question because i just have no idea whatsover how to solve them. is there a strategy or technique that u use to solve these kind of questions?

im really scared for year 13 lol,, if its this hard now,, year 13 is gonna end me loll
Original post by yaz2007
i mean, i take biology, chemistry and physics, so balancing out the work between all three science alevels is really hard, and especially for physics since im taking it without doing maths. i do go over the content regularly, but its not really the content i struggle with, its more the exam style questions, specifically the questions that u can only solve using algebraic manipulation, ratios, trig, etc. this is not to say i dont understand the maths, i do- i understand that most of alevel physics is higher level gcse maths,,,, i understand the maths, but on its own. same way i understand the theory, but on its own. but in questions where both the theory and maths are combined together, that trips me up, and i get really confused. i think when it comes to actually doing exam practice questions,, i get stuck on the first question because i just have no idea whatsover how to solve them. is there a strategy or technique that u use to solve these kind of questions?
im really scared for year 13 lol,, if its this hard now,, year 13 is gonna end me loll
yeahh fair enough, a levels are really hard and to effectively manage time is tricky.
oh right i think just going over different exam questions and having go, if you really stuck just try look back on the mark scheme to see where to start / what to do. i do this often and has helped me understand what they are looking for and where to start.
i find myself in that position a lot as they word things so weirdly.
Original post by yaz2007
https://mmerevise.co.uk/a-level-physics-revision/#revision

I've not used these but my students like their Maths resources
Original post by yaz2007
Hi there,

If I were you I would look at the website: Mathsgenie. You can go on the a-level section and have a look at kinematics videos and questions - this is quite helpful to learn for physics.
Original post by yaz2007
if you have like an example of a question I can try and help if you want
Original post by yaz2007
since u take both, what do you find easier? maths or physics
both are difficult in their own ways like i find a lot of the wordy questions in physics difficult (e.g. medical physics 6 markers) but then I find the mathsy bits easier but then in maths theres areas of that that i really struggle with like integration and differentiation but then mechanics i understand so they're both kind of same difficulty for me

Quick Reply

Latest