The Student Room Group

A Level Options?

are maths, physics, chemistry and german good a levels to pick? I think I want to go into physics maybe as a degree at uni, and in my most recent gcse mocks, I got a 9 in chem, 8 (1 mark off a 9 😭) in physics, an 8 in maths and an 8 in german.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No-one needs 4 A levels. No Uni wants, or expects this.
Definitely drop one subject after your first year - probably German.

M,C,P is a sensible combination if you are into Physics and think this might be where you are heading.
It also would be appropriate for many other science degrees, so helpful if you change your focus slightly during A levels.
Original post by rain909505
are maths, physics, chemistry and german good a levels to pick? I think I want to go into physics maybe as a degree at uni, and in my most recent gcse mocks, I got a 9 in chem, 8 (1 mark off a 9 😭) in physics, an 8 in maths and an 8 in german.

Replace Chemistry with Further Maths. Because Maths, Further Maths, Physics has signficant overlaps in topics and German is recommended as a fourth A-Level. 🙂
Reply 3
Original post by thegeek888
Replace Chemistry with Further Maths. Because Maths, Further Maths, Physics has signficant overlaps in topics and German is recommended as a fourth A-Level. 🙂

Who exactly is 'recommending' German as a 4th A level - and why.
Original post by McGinger
Who exactly is 'recommending' German as a 4th A level - and why.

Because most Sixth Forms and Colleges and a lot of universities want Maths, Further Maths, Physics and a fourth A-Level too. Because, Maths and Further Maths and Physics is too narrow of a selection of subjects.
Reply 5
NO Universities 'want' or prefer a 4th A level.

Maths, Physics, and Chemistry is a common, and very useful, A level subject combination.

Maths, Physics, and Chemistry is a common, and very useful, A level subject combination.

40% of Oxbridge applicants have 4 or more A-Levels and so do a lot of the other top universities. 🙂
Reply 7
40% of Oxbridge applicants have 4 or more A-Levels and so do a lot of the other top universities. 🙂

That does not mean that it is required or preferred.
It does not mean they got into those Universities BECAUSE they had 4 A levels.

Its a bit like saying a high % of applicants to Liverpool University live in the North West - therefore you have to live in the NW to get into Liverpool. Think about it.

Then read - Correlation vs. Causation: What’s the Difference? | Coursera
That does not mean that it is required or preferred.
It does not mean they got into those Universities BECAUSE they had 4 A levels.

Its a bit like saying a high % of applicants to Liverpool University live in the North West - therefore you have to live in the NW to get into Liverpool. Think about it.

Then read - Correlation vs. Causation: What’s the Difference? | Coursera

My point was all students taking Further Maths, must do it as a 4th A-Level. 🙂
Reply 9

As others have said you don’t need to do 4 a levels by any means but it’s not impossible (coming from someone who takes four). I have six friends who take Maths, Chem, Physics and Further Maths and they say that they all merge quite nicely. If you really enjoy German you can keep it as a fourth but just know that it won’t fit as well with the others.
My point was all students taking Further Maths, must do it as a 4th A-Level. 🙂

Now, are you sure that's the case at every school???
Original post by ageshallnot
Now, are you sure that's the case at every school???

Some candidates opt to do Maths, Further Maths and Physics and this is fine for Maths, Physics and Engineering degrees.
Some candidates opt to do Maths, Further Maths and Physics and this is fine for Maths, Physics and Engineering degrees.

So now you're contradicting what you said before?
So now you're contradicting what you said before?

Not at all. Because, generally, when you select Further Maths, you must do 3 more A-Levels. Universities don't regard Maths, Further Maths and third A-Level as sufficient except for Maths, Physics and Further Maths which is most common for entry to Engineering, Physics and Maths degrees.
(edited 3 months ago)
Not at all. Because, generally, when you select Further Maths, you must do 3 more A-Levels. Universities don't regard Maths, Further Maths and third A-Level as sufficient except for Maths, Physics and Further Maths which is most common for entry to Engineering, Physics and Maths degrees.

Er, in Reply #8 above you said "all".
Er, in Reply #8 above you said "all".

Yes, they often start with 4 A-Levels and gain an AS in the 4th subject and continue with Maths, Further Maths and Physics. But the point is, 3 A-Levels when there is Maths and Further Maths is like doing 1.5 A-Levels and 0.5 A-Level Physics due to so many overlaps in topics.
Yes, they often start with 4 A-Levels and gain an AS in the 4th subject and continue with Maths, Further Maths and Physics. But the point is, 3 A-Levels when there is Maths and Further Maths is like doing 1.5 A-Levels and 0.5 A-Level Physics due to so many overlaps in topics.

I give up.
Reply 17
Original post by study23!
As others have said you don’t need to do 4 a levels by any means but it’s not impossible (coming from someone who takes four). I have six friends who take Maths, Chem, Physics and Further Maths and they say that they all merge quite nicely. If you really enjoy German you can keep it as a fourth but just know that it won’t fit as well with the others.

Thanks. I do really love German and didn't really want everything to be maths and science. I think German might give me a nice break between studying the maths and science stuff, + one of my teachers said as for Further Maths that the course is unlikely to run and that he wouldn't recommend it, however he said he was sure maths teachers would be happy to possibly go through some further maths topics with me.

Just double check the courses on unis websites to see what (if any) subjects they specify. You never know (im no expert) but they may require further maths or something.
Otherwise those subjects sound fine. If you want to drop one at any point and keep the other 3 then thats fine.

Starting off with 4 does however give you the option of dropping one if you realise you don't like or are struggling with one of the options you have picked.
A few people at my old 6th form did that. Started with 4 and dropped one later on down the line if they really didnt like it or struggled with it etc. Or 1 lad i went to 6th form with only started with the 3, but was doing rubbish in one of them. He was allowed to drop it at the end of year 12, but had to do another subject at AS level in year 13, and rely on general studies a-level (which was **** and unfortunately compulsory at our 6th form on top of whatever other subjects you were doing) as his 3rd full a-level.

Quick Reply

Latest