The Student Room Group
rashidminhas
hi
I have done my coursework with some help, i have checked with plagrisim checker and that shows 33% plagrisim . What does it mean? And how much plagrisim or refrenceses are allowed in course wrok.

It means that about a third of your coursework contains material that can be found elsewhere. There is no level of plagiarism that is allowed; amount of references isn't (I think) restricted, although that may vary from institution to institution, so check your handbooks.

The big question here is, have you plagiarised - by that I mean, is everything you have taken from a source that isn't your own mind referenced correctly? If it's all referenced, assuming there is no limit on amount of references you can have, then there's no problem.
Oh dear...

Plagiarism and references are NOT the same thing - not even close. No amount of plagiarism is allowed. Unlimited referencing is allowed. Were you really never taught this???
Reply 3
Well you could have quoted someone and referenced them accordingly and then been flagged up for plagiarism
rashidminhas
hi
I have done my coursework with some help

What kind of help?? help from tutors is acceptable but "help" from internet sites isn't. Basically it means that a third of your work hasn't come directly from your own head and can be found online or in textbooks. Unless you reference all this information properly, you are likely to fail or worse.

You aren't allowed to plagarise at all at uni, or even at A-Level or GCSE...

You might want to have another go at your coursework...without help this time.
Reply 5
It means that you have copied 33% of your cw off somewer or someone or that the info could be found somewere. First heard about plagiarism couple of months bk when my ict cw was getting marked and my teacher was blabbing on about the rules and consequences
Reply 6
Rainbow-Swirl
What kind of help?? help from tutors is acceptable but "help" from internet sites isn't. Basically it means that a third of your work hasn't come directly from your own head and can be found online or in textbooks. Unless you reference all this information properly, you are likely to fail or worse.

You aren't allowed to plagarise at all at uni, or even at A-Level or GCSE...

You might want to have another go at your coursework...without help this time.

Turnitin often matches up commonly used phrases as well - one of my mates have had around 40% before but it was fine. This is especially true for lab reports when everyone uses the same basic layout. If it's flagged for a high percentage the marker will check what its been flagged for and you'll have serious problems if it has been plagiarised, though, like my mate, even if it's high and you know you've not done anything then you have nothing to worry about.

Though yeah, the "help" does sound awfully suspicious.
Reply 7
in my uni, the maximum plagiarism allowed is 7%...
tharyla
in my uni, the maximum plagiarism allowed is 7%...

Surely it should be zero?
Reply 9
Sounds like either it thinks you quoting sources/references counted as plagarism, or you happened to write something exactly the same as a textbook (it's possible), or you plagarised.

I don't see how people get caught plagarising, if you had any sense you'd alter what you copied beyond any kind of recognition so that no software could possibly pick it up.
It means, Rashid, that unless a full 1/3rd of your work is fully referenced, you've been stealing a lot of people's intellectual property.

If you have referenced it all, it just means that you've written a **** piece of work.
Reply 11
morecambebay
Surely it should be zero?

Two texts on a given subject are likely to have similar phrases.

I know someone who had ~95% plagiarism. :eek:
Pink Bullets
Oh dear...

Plagiarism and references are NOT the same thing - not even close. No amount of plagiarism is allowed. Unlimited referencing is allowed. Were you really never taught this???

Yes, but this is an online checker, not an actual person. Computers don't discriminate between quotes/ references and other peoples copied coursework. Only words like 'and' and 'however' are excluded. Say you were writing a Shakespeare essay. Writing 'Wherefore out thou Romeo' would get you a few percent plagarism because it's a highly reproduced quote. Throw in a few more common quotes and phrases and the coursework title itself and you could easily rack up 30%.
Unless of course the OP actually copied coursework in which case you are a bad, bad person.
self explanatory

Latest

Trending

Trending