The Student Room Group

URGENT:Used a plagiarism checker & am freaking out because it might have stored my PS

I went to check my personal statement for plagiarism on the EasyBib website (I have not copied from anywhere but I am a very paranoid person) but after clicking 'process' I saw a note that said it would feed into a database. I quickly closed the tab as it was processing. Would it have saved into a database even though I quickly closed the tab? If so, would UCAS pick that up?
I'm seriously freaking out right now. I also looked at the website and it said that only essays should be submitted, not personal statements. I don't know what to do. Please help me.

Update: For context the website said "The papers you upload will be added to our plagiarism database and will be used internally to improve plagiarism results."
Excuse me for being thick, I'm just a bit panicked. Does them using my paper "internally" mean that this info is not public and ucas won't be able to pick it up if it is in EasyBib's database?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by rosewallsxx
I went to check my personal statement for plagiarism on the EasyBib website (I have not copied from anywhere but I am a very paranoid person) but after clicking 'process' I saw a note that said it would feed into a database. I quickly closed the tab as it was processing. Would it have saved into a database even though I quickly closed the tab? If so, would UCAS pick that up?
I'm seriously freaking out right now. I also looked at the website and it said that only essays should be submitted, not personal statements. I don't know what to do. Please help me.

Update: For context the website said "The papers you upload will be added to our plagiarism database and will be used internally to improve plagiarism results."
Excuse me for being thick, I'm just a bit panicked. Does them using my paper "internally" mean that this info is not public and ucas won't be able to pick it up if it is in EasyBib's database?

Did you write the personal statement yourself? If so, then why on earth would you feed it into a plagiarism checker, when you know it wasn't plagiarised?

I'm not familiar with the EasyBib web site, so have no idea what they do with the essays and personal statements that people feed it.

If they're true to their word (i.e. the word "internally"), then your personal statement will not be publicly visible, and would therefore not be picked up by UCAS when they do their own plagiarism check.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Did you write the personal statement yourself? If so, then why on earth would you feed it into a plagiarism checker, when you know it wasn't plagiarised?

I'm not familiar with the EasyBib web site, so have no idea what they do with the essays and personal statements that people feed it.

If they're true to their word (i.e. the word "internally"), then your personal statement will not be publicly visible, and would therefore not be picked up by UCAS when they do their own plagiarism check.

Don't worry, I never copied my personal statement from any sites or other personal statements. I am just very paranoid and thought my personal statement was a bit generic.

Thank you so much for your help!
Original post by rosewallsxx
Don't worry, I never copied my personal statement from any sites or other personal statements. I am just very paranoid and thought my personal statement was a bit generic.

Thank you so much for your help!

I wouldn't panic if I were you. If using plagiarism checkers were such a no no then UCAS would issue warnings before hand. A lot of students use checkers every year and I am sure if there were issues UCAS would have picked it up by now.

Publishing your personal statements on website is whole other thing though as that can be picked up. UCAS similarity checker checks against all the personal data previously submitted and all the personal data available on website available to be read publicly.
Reply 4
Original post by Justcurious_yr12
I wouldn't panic if I were you. If using plagiarism checkers were such a no no then UCAS would issue warnings before hand. A lot of students use checkers every year and I am sure if there were issues UCAS would have picked it up by now.

Publishing your personal statements on website is whole other thing though as that can be picked up. UCAS similarity checker checks against all the personal data previously submitted and all the personal data available on website available to be read publicly.

Thank you so much, this has really put me at ease since I've just submitted my application!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending