The Student Room Group

Access to nursing midwifery

Biology assignments I can't seem to get below 45% turnitin! With the biology terminology which I obviously can't write in my own words! Has anyone else struggled with this and do.you have any tips that could help please
All of my lecturers have told us to more or less disregard the similarity score, that turnitin likes to flag a lot of words and small chunks of words which aren't actual plagiarism, as well as being exceedingly trigger-happy in calling plagiarism things that are referenced... so if everything is properly referenced and you haven't plagiarised, don't worry too much about your turnitin score.
Original post by Indialomax89
Biology assignments I can't seem to get below 45% turnitin! With the biology terminology which I obviously can't write in my own words! Has anyone else struggled with this and do.you have any tips that could help please

You can use the filter which will show you which words have been copied. The similarity score will throw up a high score if there is a string of a few words that are the same. If it is something like 'glomerular filtration', obviously, you can't change the wording, but if it is something like '....... and as a result the glomerular filtration will.....', then you can change words around s your text doesn't say the words 'and as a result'. You need to word that part differently. Do you see what I mean?

Also, just swap words around, so if it says you have copied a string of words which says 'and this says this'. You can change it and say '...this says....'. you are just cutting out words. I always end up reducing my word count doing this, so it can be helpful.

Hope this helps a little!

Nicky
Hi there!

Echoing what others have put, it's very common to get a similarity score like that when writing about biology-based topics, as there's only so many ways you can write the functions of the body.

People who mark the papers will look at the similarity and be able to ascertain whether it's plagiarism. If you're quoting, check you're doing this correctly and referencing it correctly

Nat (current student nurse)
Reply 4
Thanks for your replies I really appreciate it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending