The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
2.1 at a top 30 uni. Then you could get a job.

Edit, I am taking top 30 to be all Russell group and 1994 group Unis, well, most of the '94 group
Reply 2
Definitely a 2.1 at a top 30 university.

A 2.2. at Oxbridge = you did well at school
A 2.1 at a top 30 uni = you did well at university

No competition really.
Dnator

This tbh. If it was between a 1st from top 30 and a 2.1 from Oxbridge, 2.1 from Oxbridge would be at about the same level in my opinion. :yep:
Reply 4
2.1 because employers are supposedly filtering out those with a 2.2 so it being Oxbridge may not make a difference.

Also, top 30 is not that bad...
Reply 5
midlandsman
Definitely a 2.1 at a top 30 university.

A 2.2. at Oxbridge = you did well at school
A 2.1 at a top 30 uni = you did well at university

No competition really.

QFT

As he said, if you get a 2;2 at oxbridge it just proves you were a pretty smart teen who couldn't be arsed with uni, or you aren't actually that clever and just learned how to pass exams for A level.
Reply 6
I'd be unhappy with a 2:2 from anywhere, especially from Oxbridge as getting a place and successfully getting the grades to get in imply you are a good student, so I personally would be disappointed with a 2:2.
Thing is, there is a lot of variation between the top 3. Say you achieved a 2:1 from UCL, for example, I think it would look better than say a 2:1 from Loughborough.
Reply 7
I would prefer a 2.1, but here is not about our prefferences but empoyer's.:smile: Here's also about how lucky you are and many others
Reply 8
Seham
This tbh. If it was between a 1st from top 30 and a 2.1 from Oxbridge, 2.1 from Oxbridge would be at about the same level in my opinion. :yep:

Really depends on the course. I wouldn't say that about a first from LSE or Imperial either.
Reply 9
2i from another uni clearly. A 1st vs a 2i is a different story, because so many IBs and city companies target unis like Oxbridge, so there are big advantages to having been there. But a 2ii means that either something went seriously wrong with your degree (like major illness or someone dying) or that you just did no work or that you just weren't that bright. If you got into Oxford/Cambridge chances are it wasn't the latter. So basically you're left trying to convince employers that really, you're not lazy, honest! Which is possibly not too bad if you actually were seriously ill, but if you just didn't work then you're so screwed.
Dnator
Really depends on the course. I wouldn't say that about a first from LSE or Imperial either.

True. I hope so :teehee:

From what I understand you should aim for minimum 2.1 as any lower you are really limiting what type of jobs you can get. Anyway comparisons between top unis are difficult.
Dnator

Edit, I am taking top 30 to be all Russell group and 1994 group Unis, well, most of the '94 group

But there are only 20 unis in the Russell group :woo:
Reply 12
kates:)
I'd be unhappy with a 2:2 from anywhere, especially from Oxbridge as getting a place and successfully getting the grades to get in imply you are a good student, so I personally would be disappointed with a 2:2.
Thing is, there is a lot of variation between the top 3. Say you achieved a 2:1 from UCL, for example, I think it would look better than say a 2:1 from Loughborough.

Nottingham students love to crap on loughborough :p:

We used to be able to get away with it :frown:
Bekaboo
2i from another uni clearly. A 1st vs a 2i is a different story, because so many IBs and city companies target unis like Oxbridge, so there are big advantages to having been there. But a 2ii means that either something went seriously wrong with your degree (like major illness or someone dying) or that you just did no work or that you just weren't that bright. If you got into Oxford/Cambridge chances are it wasn't the latter. So basically you're left trying to convince employers that really, you're not lazy, honest! Which is possibly not too bad if you actually were seriously ill, but if you just didn't work then you're so screwed.

Exactly. QFT.
Reply 14
patientology
But there are only 20 unis in the Russell group :woo:

And then some of the 94 group like durham, bath, SOAS, york, loughborough.
In this day and age, Oxbridge really dosent= job anymore. Remember that there are lots of good unis that 'oxbridge rejects' go to and do very well in. there is also a wider jkob market internationally and opportunities for exchanges, erasmus etc. the conditions of university life have changed beyond the whole 'i went to oxford and got a gentleman's degree and was immediately fast-tracked into the foriegn office' etc that was evident in the past.

so, 2.1 from a top 30 uni. however, this 2.1 also dosent guarantee a job either.
Reply 16
Seham

I wouldn't trade my Warwick first for an Oxbridge 2.1 for anything.
Reply 17
Bekaboo

So you don't think someone who worked really hard at Oxford/ Cambridge could still come out with a 2ii?

Serious question btw, I see you were an Oxford student so value your opinion :smile:
Reply 18
ily_em
So you don't think someone who worked really hard at Oxford/ Cambridge could still come out with a 2ii?

Serious question btw, I see you were an Oxford student so value your opinion :smile:

Don't something like 84% of people at oxford get a 2:1 or a 1st or some ridiculous figure

So evidently if you got a 2:2 you didn't work very hard
Byllie
Don't something like 84% of people at oxford get a 2:1 or a 1st or some ridiculous figure

So evidently if you got a 2:2 you didn't work very hard

Or you were the victim of some very serious and unfortunately-timed health problems :yes:

I'd personally still rather go with my 2.2 coz I :love: the tutorial system and wouldn't have got the teaching I got elsewhere, or made the lovely friends I made :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending