The Student Room Group

Scraped through first and second year. Any point continuing?

OK. I have just got my second year results and I have done really bad. Way worse than I was expecting and I'm seriously having doubts as to whether I'm capable of getting a 2.1. My 2nd year was worth 30%, but to get a good 2.1 I now need to get 69-72% in my final year.

I now have no confidence in my capability and feel like dropping out before I dissapoint my self further. I don't think I can take another hit like this and how the hell can I get 70+ if I can only get a 3rd in the 2nd year?

I'm not finding the content hard, and I feel I am answering the questions corrently in exams :x

I just don't want to continue but I have no choice now I am 2/3 through this awful degree.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do you have no confidence in your ability in general or just in maths? you might have made a wrong choice in subjects. Go an talk to people at your uni, you may be able to defer onto a course more suited to you, whilst this may cost you more in the short term will cost you less in the long term. You also might be dyslexic (it is a lot more common than the 6 million people who officially have it). Go and talk to student services they'll help, don't give up though you might regret it.
Reply 2
It must be dyslexia. There is no other explanation as to why I scored so badly. I think I need extra time in examinations because I do struggle with fast writing.
fail@maths
It must be dyslexia. There is no other explanation as to why I scored so badly. I think I need extra time in examinations because I do struggle with fast writing.

There are plenty reasons other than dyslexia why you might have done badly.
fail@maths

i am like you, i think i have either dyslexia or adhd or both,

what was the overall percentage you got?
I acheived higher grades for my coursework but my exmas were craptacular grades

do you have to do any resits?
Reply 5
Dyslexia is a very generalised thing, an educational psychologist once told me the criteria for being dyslexic is whether that individual would do better with extra time than without it. There are many more dyslexic people in the UK than the official 6 million who are non the wiser and they may never realise their true potential as a result, but the degree of dyslexia and whether it's a trait (can't be developed) or an issue with ability (can be developed) varies a great deal amongst dyslexic people. Seriously go and talk to someone, and get a full assessment, if you are frustrated with your lack of progress ( especially if you're putting in a lot of effort) then it is likely you are.
fail@maths

Just because someone is dyslexic doesn't mean that they score badly. And it could be for a whole different sets of reasons that you score badly.
Reply 7
Work hard. Get disability allowance and dyslexia assessment.

Perfectly possible, you're just going to have to sacrifice your social life for good grades. You'll feel good about it once the exams are over though :smile:
How hard did you work, really? So many people think they can just turn up to lectures and still do well- there is a lot more work than that involved, and you should be aware of that.
Yes, there is point in continuing. A 3rd is better than no degree at all. Have you considered asking if you would be able to do some resits? Just a thought..
Reply 9
I need to get 66.8% in my 3rd year to get a 2.1...
Reply 10
66.8% is possible, especially as a lot of uni's have the power to upgrade say 57% or 58% to a 2:1 for circumstances such as being diagnosed for dyslexia at a late stage. Your dissertation will be a big factor in this, make sure you plan and prepare for this like nothing before. If you are choosing electives, don't go for ones with exams, go for just coursework. Do you work well to deadlines? if not try and arrange for extended deadlines for a couple (not all) of your modules to spread the deadlines out a bit. Believe me getting a 2:1 from your position is doable.
fail@maths
OK. I have just got my second year results and I have done really bad. Way worse than I was expecting and I'm seriously having doubts as to whether I'm capable of getting a 2.1. My 2nd year was worth 30%, but to get a good 2.1 I now need to get 69-72% in my final year.

I now have no confidence in my capability and feel like dropping out before I dissapoint my self further. I don't think I can take another hit like this and how the hell can I get 70+ if I can only get a 3rd in the 2nd year?

I'm not finding the content hard, and I feel I am answering the questions corrently in exams :x

I just don't want to continue but I have no choice now I am 2/3 through this awful degree.

Just work hard man
DoubleO
Dyslexia is a very generalised thing, an educational psychologist once told me the criteria for being dyslexic is whether that individual would do better with extra time than without it. There are many more dyslexic people in the UK than the official 6 million who are non the wiser and they may never realise their true potential as a result, but the degree of dyslexia and whether it's a trait (can't be developed) or an issue with ability (can be developed) varies a great deal amongst dyslexic people. Seriously go and talk to someone, and get a full assessment, if you are frustrated with your lack of progress ( especially if you're putting in a lot of effort) then it is likely you are.

But surely nearly everyone would do better in exams if they had more time? :confused:
fail@maths

you're obviously missing something or your marks would be better - talk to your tutor ASAP and ask if they'd be able to go through your exam scripts with you to help you understand where you're missing marks and how you could improve your exam technique.

Also as many people have already said get in touch with your uni student support services and get tested for dyslexia/dyspraxia ASAP too (ie get all this stuff looked at and sorted over the summer so that when you start your third year you can concentrate on your work.
Reply 14
DoubleO
66.8% is possible, especially as a lot of uni's have the power to upgrade say 57% or 58% to a 2:1 for circumstances such as being diagnosed for dyslexia at a late stage. Your dissertation will be a big factor in this, make sure you plan and prepare for this like nothing before. If you are choosing electives, don't go for ones with exams, go for just coursework. Do you work well to deadlines? if not try and arrange for extended deadlines for a couple (not all) of your modules to spread the deadlines out a bit. Believe me getting a 2:1 from your position is doable.

You need to have a 2.1 in the 2nd year to do a diss at my uni :frown:
off topic question, but do you do a dissertation for accountancy?
fail@maths

what course are you doing? i need a similar grade to get a 2:1.
fail@maths

talk to your tutor, student services and your student union....NOW (get off TSR noone on here is able to solve your problems only talking to real people AT your uni is going to set you back on track to a 2i so get on the case and stop wasting time)
Reply 18
An exam which i thought i did really well in (80-90s) i actually got 35% in... and I know I didn't get that, many of the questions were well practised as they were extremely similar to old questions, the thing is everybody found it easy so marks were scaled down... thanks for that!
Reply 19
okok! Are lecturers even at University over the summer?!? I will get everything sorted.

Thanks for the advice.

Latest

Trending

Trending