The Student Room Group

my personal statement can sum 1 check it pleze ?

I have just dropped out of Teesside University on a Media & Music Technology course. My reasons for myself leaving were that i found the music side of the course hard due to the fact that i didnt play a musical instrument. This led me to think that the music industry may not be for me and that i should persue with media. Prior to university i was studying multimedia at Barking College on a Btec National Diploma course and I highly enjoying it. The course involved creating web sites, interactive CD-ROMs and videos and producing magazines. The course also includes digital sound recording, photography and video production. I decided that I wanted to get into multimedia while I was at school. My reasons for choosing this vocation are I enjoy producing web sites. I have a great admiration of the internet because of the enormous possibilities that it holds for both education and entertainment. While at school I achieved 6 A-C GCSE passes which included 3 B passes and 3 C passes.

One of my favourite subjects on the course is digital sound I find this unit very enjoyable for a number of reasons. I enjoy a variety of styles of modern music. I gain satisfaction in being able to create a sound track using new technology. The software which we use for this is Logic and Cubase. I am able to practice this on my home computer.

Another unit of the course in which i throughly enjoyed was producing magazine spreads. I am a fond lover of reading and collect serveral magazines on a monthly basis. I feel that reading some thing that your interested in gives you great pleasure therefore i enjoyed producing pages of information in which i would be interested in.

I think that I am very competent in using the software in which we use for this course. This includes Macromedia Dreamweaver, Director, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere and Quark Xpress. I am quite good at working both, alone and also working in groups. When working in groups, I like to express my views to the group and allow enjoy listening to feedback about my views.

Previous work experience as a sales assistant at Woolworth’s plc enabled me to develop a number of skills such as communicating with customers, seeing to their needs and generally assisting them. I was required to work both independently, and also with other members of staff, this involved receiving specific orders and reporting back to the supervisor.

Outside college hours I take an interest in using the Internet to broaden my knowledge of events and new information occurring around the world. Other interests I have include going to clubs occasionally to meet new people and I particularly enjoy going to the cinema. I enjoy playing football and tennis, however tend to have a greater interest in football, I also go to the gym, to maintain my fitness.

Choosing a Media Studies degree, I feel will allow me to gain necessary skills and knowledge I will need in order to pursue a career in the media industry.
well, what about trying this:

"Recently I made the decision to drop out of the Media & Music Technology degree course that I undertook at Teeside university. My essential reasons for leaving the institution were that I experienced extensive difficulties with the musical aspects of the degree, mainly due to the reason that I lacked experience in playing musical instruments. This led me to perceiving the music industry as not being suited to my personal preferences and consequently I made my decision to persue media. Prior to my university course, I was undergoing a multimedia course at Barking College on a Btec National Diploma and I found it enthralling. The programme involved creating web sites, interactive CD-ROMs and videos as well as the production of magazines. The course also included digital sound recording, photography and video production. I instinctively decided that I really wanted to explore multimedia in depth while I was still at school. I chose this vocation because I often relish the prospect of producing web sites to my own tastes. I have a great admiration for the internet, as a result of the enormous spectrum of pathways that it beholds for both the world of education as well as entertainment. While at my local comprehensive school, I was pleased to achieve 6 Grade A*-C GCSE Qualification passes, which included 3 Qualifications at Grade B and 3 Qualifications at Grade C.

In my opinion, one of the most fascinating subjects on the course is the concepts of digital sound. I am passionate about a mixed variety of styles of modern music and I do gain satisfaction in being able to compose high quality sound tracks using the latest digital technology available. The main area of software that we have been operating for this are the Logic and Cubase programs. In addition, I am able to practice the necessary skills on my home computer system, which has led me to becoming competent in information technology as well.

Another unit of the course that I found enjoyable and which kept my interest, was the production of magazine spreads. I am a fond lover of reading and collect a large variety of magazines on a regular monthly basis. I personally feel that reading an article that sustains one's interest gives you exceptional pleasure. Consequently I wanted to work hard and diligently in producing content that appealed to my personal interests.

I think that I am becoming evermore competent in the operation of software that are key aspects of the course. This includes a fascinating array of packages such as 'Macromedia Dreamweaver', 'Director', 'Adobe Photoshop', 'Illustrator', 'Premiere' and 'Quark Xpress', just to select some prime examples. I am becoming highly competent when working both alone and when interacting in groups, as I undertand the significance of this in being necessary for my skills to truly develop and to become qualified in the future. When interacting in groups, I do often express my own views and opinions to the other members of the group, although I do enjoy listening to feedback from the other group members.

My previous employment experience as a sales assistant at Woolworth’s PLC enabled me to develop numberous skills essential to succeeding in the world of work. For example, communicating with customers, adhering to meeting their requirements and generally assisting them in addition. I was required to work both independently and also with the majority of members in the team of staff. This involved receiving specific orders and reporting back to the department supervisor.

Outside hours of a typical college day, I take an interest in accessing the Internet in order to broaden my knowledge of events and current information brewing around the globe. My other interests include participating in an array of clubs in which I often enjoy meeting new people, and I particularly enjoy visiting the cinema with local friends as a means of a leisure pursuit. My other hobbies also include playing competitive football and tennis (although I tend to have a greater interest in football). I also frequently visit my local gymnasium in which I believe is an extremely important aspect in maintaining fitness as well as a good mental work ethic; whether it be academic or physical.

In conclusion, I am determined that in choosing a Media Studies degree I will gain the necessary practical skills and applied knowledge that I have targeted, in order to pursue a very worthwhile career in the exciting industry of media."

I Spent an hour going through this mate, so as a token of appreciation it a personal thankyou or some rep would be nice.

All the best..... :wink:
Reply 2
thanks mate, your a star, this has improved my personal statement alot, i apreciate this loads, trust me !!! thanks again !
Reply 3
I have just dropped out of Teesside University on a Media & Music Technology course. My reasons for myself leaving were that I found the music side of the course hard due to the fact that I didn’t play a musical instrument. This led me to think that the music industry may not be for me and that I should pursue with media. Prior to university I was studying multimedia at Barking College on a BTEC National Diploma course and I highly enjoying it. The course involved creating web sites, interactive CD-ROMs and videos and producing magazines. The course also includes digital sound recording, photography and video production. I decided that I wanted to get into multimedia while I was at school. My reasons for choosing this vocation are I enjoy producing web sites. I have a great admiration of the Internet because of the enormous possibilities that it holds for both education and entertainment. While at school I achieved 6 A-C GCSE passes which included 3 B passes and 3 C passes.

One of my favourite subjects on the course is digital sound I find this unit very enjoyable for a number of reasons. I enjoy a variety of styles of modern music. I gain satisfaction in being able to create a sound track using new technology. The software, which we use for this, is Logic and Cubase. I am able to practice this on my home computer.

Another unit of the course in which I thoroughly enjoyed was producing magazine spreads. I am a fond lover of reading and collect several magazines on a monthly basis. I feel that reading some thing that your interested in gives you great pleasure therefore I enjoyed producing pages of information in which I would be interested in.

I think that I am very competent in using the software in which we use for this course. This includes Macromedia Dreamweaver, Director, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere and Quark Xpress. I am quite good at working both, alone and also working in groups. When working in groups, I like to express my views to the group and allow enjoy listening to feedback about my views.

Previous work experience as a sales assistant at Woolworth’s plc enabled me to develop a number of skills such as communicating with customers, seeing to their needs and generally assisting them. I was required to work both independently, and also with other members of staff, this involved receiving specific orders and reporting back to the supervisor.

Outside college hours I take an interest in using the Internet to broaden my knowledge of events and new information occurring around the world. Other interests I have include going to clubs occasionally to meet new people and I particularly enjoy going to the cinema. I enjoy playing football and tennis, however tend to have a greater interest in football, I also go to the gym, to maintain my fitness.

Choosing a Media Studies degree, I feel will allow me to gain necessary skills and knowledge I will need in order to pursue a career in the media industry.

For a start I've just run a spelling and grammar check on it and there were quite a few mistakes which I've corrected for you.
2nd will this fit on a UCAS form it seems quite long to me but then its a while since I filled one in so I could be wrong.
I wouldnt say that you dropped out I would try and find a better way of expressing it eg. I decided to leave my course because....
It just sounds better.
I would also not put that you passed 6 GCSEs A* to C and then state your grades because you are repeating information, also you are not supposed to repeat information that is anywhere else on the form so you shouldnt need to draw attention to your grades at all. If you do use the line about your grades I think it should be Whilst at school.
glenn, i updated the ps again, please could you check it out and use that one. its even slightly better.

its in my last post, same post, just edited.

i also sent u a message, replying wud be nice.
Reply 5
Mate he doesnt have enough posts to give you rep.
Reply 6
viviki
Mate he doesnt have enough posts to give you rep.

what do u mean ?
GLYNN2K1
what do u mean ?

its ok, 4 get it.

ok, glen.

i have just gone through the personal statment again, and i spotted 1 or 2 grammatical errors and bad word orders.

i have now fixed these, and so far as i am concerned ur personal statement is very good now.

have another read mate, and tell me what u think.

no probs. :wink:
Reply 8
cheers boss
THIS IS MY VERSION OF YOUR PERSONAL STATEMENT, ITS AS GOOD AS I CAN BE BOTHERED TO GET IT, WITH WHAT INFORMATION I KNOW OF YOU. HAVE A THOROUGH READ MATE, ANY QUERIES THEN JUST PM ME. ITS YOUR FUTURE, NOT MINE. HERE:

Recently I made the decision to drop out of the Media & Music Technology degree course that I undertook at Teeside university. My essential reasons for leaving the institution were that I experienced extensive difficulties with the musical aspects of the degree, mainly due to the reason that I lacked experience in playing musical instruments. This led me to perceiving the music industry as not being suited to my personal preferences and consequently I made my decision to persue media. Prior to my university course, I was undergoing a multimedia course at Barking College on a Btec National Diploma and I found it enthralling. The programme involved creating web sites, interactive CD-ROMs and videos as well as the production of magazines. The course also included digital sound recording, photography and video production. I instinctively decided that I really wanted to explore multimedia in depth while I was still at school. I chose this vocation because I often relish the prospect of producing web sites to my own tastes. I have a great admiration for the internet, as a result of the enormous spectrum of pathways that it beholds for both the world of education as well as entertainment. While at my local comprehensive school, I was pleased to achieve 6 Grade A*-C GCSE Qualification passes, which included 3 Qualifications at Grade B and 3 Qualifications at Grade C.

In my opinion, one of the most fascinating subjects on the course is the concepts of digital sound. I am passionate about a mixed variety of styles of modern music and I do gain satisfaction in being able to compose high quality sound tracks using the latest digital technology available. The main area of software that we have been operating for this are the Logic and Cubase programs. In addition, I am able to practice the necessary skills on my home computer system, which has led me to becoming competent in information technology as well.

Another unit of the course that I found enjoyable and which kept my interest, was the production of magazine spreads. I am a fond lover of reading and collect a large variety of magazines on a regular monthly basis. I personally feel that reading an article that sustains one's interest gives you exceptional pleasure. Consequently I wanted to work hard and diligently in producing content that appealed to my personal interests.

I think that I am becoming evermore competent in the operation of software that are key aspects of the course. This includes a fascinating array of packages such as 'Macromedia Dreamweaver', 'Director', 'Adobe Photoshop', 'Illustrator', 'Premiere' and 'Quark Xpress', just to select some prime examples. I am becoming highly competent when working both alone and when interacting in groups, as I undertand the significance of this in being necessary for my skills to truly develop and to become qualified in the future. When interacting in groups, I do often express my own views and opinions to the other members of the group, although I do enjoy listening to feedback from the other group members.

My previous employment experience as a sales assistant at Woolworth’s PLC enabled me to develop numberous skills essential to succeeding in the world of work. For example, communicating with customers, adhering to meeting their requirements and generally assisting them in addition. I was required to work both independently and also with the majority of members in the team of staff. This involved receiving specific orders and reporting back to the department supervisor.

Outside hours of a typical college day, I take an interest in accessing the Internet in order to broaden my knowledge of events and current information brewing around the globe. My other interests include participating in an array of clubs in which I often enjoy meeting new people, and I particularly enjoy visiting the cinema with local friends as a means of a leisure pursuit. My other hobbies also include playing competitive football and tennis (although I tend to have a greater interest in football). I also frequently visit my local gymnasium in which I believe is an extremely important aspect in maintaining fitness as well as a good mental work ethic; whether it be academic or physical.

In conclusion, I am determined that in choosing a Media Studies degree I will gain the necessary practical skills and applied knowledge that I have targeted, in order to pursue a very worthwhile career in the exciting industry of media.
Reply 10
I don't think using the phrase 'drop out' is good. And before you have a go I can say this because I did the same thing and had to reapply to uni.

I phrased it:

"I accepted a place at the University of X to read Y as a natural progression from the A-Levels I had studied and enjoyed. However it quickly became apparent to me that the focus of my interests had changed and that I was embarked upon the wrong course. Having spoken with the Head of Department, I withdrew from the University on good terms."

Now I know that it takes up a few words, but I think it shows (a) It's not something I want to skate over and am embarrassed about. (b) It was a positive choice taken by me and no one else - it wasn't forced upon me, but was a mature decision. (c) I am capable of explaining my actions and left uni aftetr following the correct route.

I also didn't mention that I'd left uni until the end of the second paragraph in order to get them to read something about why I wanted to do their course, instead of starting "I've dropped out" which in my opinion isn't a good opening gambit!

I applied to Durham, Leeds and Exeter with that statement and was accepted by all 3, so it seems to have worked. Hope its not too late.
OldBailey
I don't think using the phrase 'drop out' is good. And before you have a go I can say this because I did the same thing and had to reapply to uni.

I phrased it:

"I accepted a place at the University of X to read Y as a natural progression from the A-Levels I had studied and enjoyed. However it quickly became apparent to me that the focus of my interests had changed and that I was embarked upon the wrong course. Having spoken with the Head of Department, I withdrew from the University on good terms."

Now I know that it takes up a few words, but I think it shows (a) It's not something I want to skate over and am embarrassed about. (b) It was a positive choice taken by me and no one else - it wasn't forced upon me, but was a mature decision. (c) I am capable of explaining my actions and left uni aftetr following the correct route.

I also didn't mention that I'd left uni until the end of the second paragraph in order to get them to read something about why I wanted to do their course, instead of starting "I've dropped out" which in my opinion isn't a good opening gambit!

I applied to Durham, Leeds and Exeter with that statement and was accepted by all 3, so it seems to have worked. Hope its not too late.

yes, u worded it well.
Reply 12
OldBailey, I'd just like to take the opportunity to thank you for providing that excerpt from your personal statement. I have decided to pursue a course in Accounting and Finance, which is an ever-so-slight change from the War Studies and History which I am currently doing. Your post has been a great help in writing my own statement, as I was really struggling to give a decent explaination of my reasons for deciding to leave London. Thanks again.
Reply 13
Hey.. No probs.. Hope everything works out for the best!
Reply 14
I agree that the whole "I have dropped out" thing starts it on a negative and should be altered / omitted to read differently.

Latest

Trending

Trending