The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How bad is your allergy? Like for instance would sitting in a kitchen with someone wearing a perfume your were allergic to trigger it? I know someone with a peanut allergy and even breathing them in from the smell is enough to set her off.

Or is it only physical contact that sets it off? I imagine if inhalation is enough to trigger it perhaps living alone would be a good idea as trying to stop people in shared accommodation from using something would be rather difficult.
Reply 2
For food allergies ,maybe just for precaution you could get your own kitchen ustensils,there are some companies like Orgran & Allergycare that have products to make quick meals,which are wheat.gluten/eg/sugar free.

I also suggest taking a multivitamin,Solgar has a really good 1,bit expensive though.
If you are sharing a room... tell allthe ppl you are allergic & if they have to use certain products to use them outside,depending on how sever your alleries are.Also a good thing to do would be to put a chart up of what ppl have to do if you go into anaphylaxis.
What foods & chemicals are you allergic to ?
I don't have personal experience with serious allergies (well, apart from being allergic to horses :rolleyes:) but what I would say is, as well as making sure everyone you live with knows how serious your allergies are and create a little kitchen poster (with doodles and stuff so it doesn't seem preachy) that just says '____ is allergic to .....if I get a bad reaction these things will happen....and I will need someone to....'
that way, people wont forget and, when you have the inevitable flat parties and people are drinking, other people will see the poster as well :smile:

Maybe laminate it, so it doesn't get destroyed.
Reply 4
There s also this its worth a try,ill warn u it s a little weird

http://www.psychresearch.com/allergies.html
I hope it ll work 4 u.
Reply 5
fire2burn
How bad is your allergy? Like for instance would sitting in a kitchen with someone wearing a perfume your were allergic to trigger it? I know someone with a peanut allergy and even breathing them in from the smell is enough to set her off.

Or is it only physical contact that sets it off? I imagine if inhalation is enough to trigger it perhaps living alone would be a good idea as trying to stop people in shared accommodation from using something would be rather difficult.

when someone is wearing the perfume or whatever then it doesn't cause a problem after about 30 mins but its mainly the inital spraying or if i go into somewhere where someone has just sprayed. the food allergies are inhalation and contact triggers.

hissy fit i am allergic to tree nuts, fish, shell fish, soya, blackcurrants, vinegar, celery and milk. i would be here all day naming the chemicals but the most severe one is borax. real food allergies aren't psychological but many people use tests off of the internet to get diognosed and confuse a genuine food allergy for an intolerance. when people see that these people don't become life threateningly ill they believe that you are over reacting.

the poster is a good idea. thanks for the help if anyone has got first hand experience that would be brillant.
Have you actually contacted the uni accommodation services about this? You'll probably need their help with this kind of thing so they can talk to your flatmates, too, and so that you can make them aware of what your allergies are and what to do if your flatmates freak out and need help.

hissyfit
For food allergies ,maybe just for precaution you could get your own kitchen ustensils,there are some companies like Orgran & Allergycare that have products to make quick meals,which are wheat.gluten/eg/sugar free.

I also suggest taking a multivitamin,Solgar has a really good 1,bit expensive though.
If you are sharing a room... tell allthe ppl you are allergic & if they have to use certain products to use them outside,depending on how sever your alleries are.Also a good thing to do would be to put a chart up of what ppl have to do if you go into anaphylaxis.
What foods & chemicals are you allergic to ?

Fyi, in halls, it's standard that you have your own utensils, but you won't need special ones for something like this; you'd just need to make sure that they don't come into contact with the products. Also, how would a multivitamin help food allergies?!
Reply 7
ye i will contact the uni accommodation services but i just wondered if anyone had ideas first. i'm not going this september but 2011, i was just thinking about it with school talking about applications and personal statements ready to apply in sept.
literally just contact the university after you've got a place.

universities have thousands of students in them. there will be quite a few others with severe allergies. i imagine they probably have special flats in halls where they group all of you. who knows!

but yeh, they'll be experienced at dealing with this sort of thing. dont worry about it
Reply 9
When u have multiple food allergies you might not eat a lot of different foods,& therfore not getting some nutrients.... depends on how many allergies u have ,well my family s nutritionist recommended it to us.
The OP said multiple food allergies that s why I recommended it .
Reply 10
hissy fit you are right in a way i see a dieticen at the hospital and follow a set plan for example i take sandok for my potassium levels when they are low. didgeridoo12uk
I'd be interested in hearing this. My cousin is wanting to go to uni but she's severely allergic to anything that grows off a tree or bush , nuts, rubber, some chemicals in perfumes make up cleaning products. So I don't quite know how she's going to cope..
Reply 12
222 abs
didgeridoo12uk

What s that?
:s-smilie:
Reply 13
meant to says thanks didgeridoo12uk for the reassurance, not thinking properly
Reply 14
ahh right,I get it now,silly me.
Just curious ,were you born with your allergies or did you get them following an operation/after taking a lot of medication?
When you got them ,what explanation was given 2 u as to how you got them/their cause?
Reply 15
its genetic i also have hayfever, ecxema and asthma which are all on the same gene with migranes but luckily i dont get these. my fist reaction was at 6 months to penicillin when my heart stopped. up till 5 i developed food, chemical and environmental (eg dust mould ,dog, cat) allergies. when 6 i did a wheat and egg challenge and had outgrown these. Dust, mould and pollen allergies aren't life threatening but uncomfortable but the rest are anaphylactic even dogs and cats
Reply 16
:console: You ve been through a lot!
How did you outgrow the wheat & egg allergies?
Reply 17
in young children it is quite common that by starting school they have outgrown certain allergen such as wheat milk egg as these are more common in young children.
Reply 18
but what about if you didn t have any problems with it as a child & got it later ,can you outgrow it then?
Do any members of your family have the same allergies as u?
Reply 19
you can still out grow it when you develop it later but an allergy developed as an adult is likely to be life long whereas an allergy at birth could be outgrown as a child but if it is still present as a 14 year old then more than likely its not going to be outgrown. some of the family has similar allergies but they dont have as many allergies and some have allergies that i dont.

Latest