The Student Room Group

Mature Student, Dyslexia & Needs Assesment

OK, so i was tested for dyslexia a few weeks ago and yesterday i got my Pyscho Report confirming i have just shy of servre dyslexia, now i have to arrange my needs assesment and i cant help feel guilty about asking for things, can anyone recommend what i Really Really need, not interested in iPODs etc stuff i would deffo need to help me do the course not help me listen to music, or enjoy life outside uni.

PS i will be asking for a macbook, simply because i need the laptop and my home PC is a iMac i have all office software and dragon speaking as well as notetaker and other software my dyslexic daughter already owns which has more than one licence, so in the long run i would be saving the LEA money on the basis of getting a macbook which i will explain,

i do find those asking for iPods and Iphones and Walkmans are taking advantage but i may be wrong, how would a PDA help me or is that why people get iPods as an instead of a PDA?

any advice welcome and thank you in advanse

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i do find those asking for iPods and Iphones and Walkmans are taking advantage but i may be wrong, how would a PDA help me or is that why people get iPods as an instead of a PDA?

any advice welcome and thank you in advanse

Ipods aren't given to give you music to listen to but can be used to record and save lectures.

I don't know anyone who has been given an Ipod through DSA to be honest. But a Voice recorder (anything from £40 to £300) are often recommended. They do allow you to record lectures . They aren't there for the student to listen to music.

PDAs are often recommended because someone with dyslexia, dyspraxia or a wide range of conditions might have problems with organisation and short-term memory. Having a PDA allows to you easily keep track of appointments, lecture and seminar times and all of your contacts.
Reply 2
Yeah i came across sinical, based on what i have seen on here, people asking for iPads and TV`s and iPhones all of which i genuinly cant see why i would need on or anyone else when there are alternatives which are cheaper and better.

i understand that i dont request things taht the assesor will advice me of things taht i may need to compete on an even playing feild with others, the fact i have a computer at home is used by the family my kids etc for there schooling i rarley get access so i need a dedicated deviice for me and something i take to the libary to concentrate without the dad i need a drink, dad i need a wee, dad i broke the macbook by spilling coke on it!! lol, seriously i didnt mean to sound so sinical though.
Reply 3
haritori
OK, so i was tested for dyslexia a few weeks ago and yesterday i got my Pyscho Report confirming i have just shy of servre dyslexia, now i have to arrange my needs assesment and i cant help feel guilty about asking for things, can anyone recommend what i Really Really need, not interested in iPODs etc stuff i would deffo need to help me do the course not help me listen to music, or enjoy life outside uni.

The Disability Support Office for your University will help you with your assessment for needs. They can offer a plethora of things. You're most likely to be offered:
1. Olympus Recorder (for recording and listening back to lectures)
2. Immenuensis (to take lecture notes for you) - in severe cases
3. Personal tutor to help you organise time/learn coping strategies
4. PC/Laptop that runs Windows. Reason being, this is the operating systems most, if not all, Universities use. They won't and can't give you a Mac because it isn't cost effective and you must be able to use Word and other programs such as StatsDirect (if relevent) to complete assignments on both your Laptop and the University PCs.
5. Printing credit
6. Extended Loans from the University Library
7. Home Printer
8. Clarosoft
9. Dragonware Speaking (I think)
10. Inspiration Software Package
11. Office 2007 (or whatever the latest is)

PS i will be asking for a macbook, simply because i need the laptop and my home PC is a iMac i have all office software and dragon speaking as well as notetaker and other software

I doubt you'll get one - they aren't cost effective, they can't afford it and have to be fair. If they gave you a Mac, which are about twice the price of other computers, why shouldn't they buy one for other people being assessed?

my dyslexic daughter already owns which has more than one licence, so in the long run i would be saving the LEA money on the basis of getting a macbook which i will explain,

They'll give you Office etc anyway as part of a new package.

i do find those asking for iPods and Iphones and Walkmans are taking advantage but i may be wrong,

They'll give you a dictaphone that can store audio files, so you kill two birds with one stone. Plus everything you are thinking of asking for is designer and it won't wash - I smell a rat, and so will they.

how would a PDA help me or is that why people get iPods as an instead of a PDA?

They don't dish out Macs! If you need portable technology they will give you a Dell laptop running Windows 7. That combines everything you have just listed - something to listen to audio on, something to take notes on, and is compatable with all software they can give you.

I reiterate, they won't give you stuff by Apple because it's designer and expensive.
Reply 4
@spacecam,

OK i was explaining i dont want designer crap, im a 40 year old mature student, i have know i have had trouble with dyslexia for a very long time but i was to embarrased to have it disgnosied, i eblieve you didnt actually read my post correctly,

firstly even if they give out office and dragon software with a windows PC they MUST pay for the liecence it isnt simply free for LEA its inclusive of the total overal price i am willing to pay the cost towards a mac i will be explaining a genuine reason for needing one, not because it has an apple logo, i never said i was asking for ipods and walkmans i said that they are unessary, by me owning software already WILL save the LEA money and i will pay the full price to a mac if i have too but i seeing weather i can get support toward sit or not, smelling rats where cats reside! the support offered is around £5000.00 per person for equipemnt if it can be prooved i need that said equipment then i shall get it from the LEA if they agree, i asked what i really needed not cat scratch comments from some speak before gaining the facts person.

sigh why must poeple comment when they dont read the question properly first?

i think you need ot understand my OP before commenting on it,

@lemily

yes i was assesed by a julia green charted pyschologist in carmarthen, i had to pay my own costs for the assesment which cost me £75.00 per hour and lasted 3 hours, 1 hour of which was a discussion mainly involving my childhood, 2 hours was an actual assesment of spatial and mental tests, but you could trying to apply thorugh your unis finacial contingiuosy fund.
Reply 5
If you were pushing for a laptop, I would automatically reject a request for a PDA.

That said, I'd be looking at equipment assistive to the disability. I think if you have a fully functioning PC at home, then I'd say that's suitable for your disability related needs and probably agree a dictaphone alongside some study skills and other software to run on the existing PC.
Reply 6
haritori
the support offered is around £5000.00 per person for equipemnt if it can be prooved i need that said equipment then i shall get it from the LEA if they agree.

You probably know this but it's worth mentioning, the £5000 is a maximum amount. Few studnets will ever get near this amount and those that do usually have mutlitiple disabilities and very complex needs.

Also, you mention people asking for IPads (or some form of tablet PC) and televisions. There are rare cases when these can be justified. There are a wide range of disabilities and even those people with the same disability will not have indentical needs. That said, I do think some of those threads you've read are not serious. Created by trolls/people with duplicate accounts who are just trying to make fun of those who do claim certain equipment or try and justify expensive equipment that most others won't get.

Some people might ask for a band like an Ipod or Ipad. But that doesn't mean they're doing it to be fashionable. The big names are well known. People might just be ignorant of the cheaper and less well known alternatives.

In my experience few students are out to deliberately cheat or bleed the system. THey aren't interested in fasion or little extras. They just want the support they need and that is all. Some students even feel comfortable asking for this support let alone asking for more.

Anyway, you shouldn't have any trouble in getting a PDA, voice recorder (not an Ipod which I know you don't want), any related computer software like mind mapping software and study skills support.
You might also be able to claim money for photocopying and books.

There might be additional things but it really depends on your own needs. You'll have to explain why you think you need a laptop when you have desktop at home. You've said you need a laptop but I don't think you've said why.

Other forms of suport will be discussed eg. proofreading, exam concessions (eg. extra time) and extended library loans. But these need to be discussed and arranged with the university also.

Taiko
If you were pushing for a laptop, I would automatically reject a request for a PDA.

Why? Simply because he has a working PC at home (as you later said)?
Reply 7
River85
You probably know this but it's worth mentioning, the £5000 is a maximum amount. Few studnets will ever get near this amount and those that do usually have mutlitiple disabilities and very complex needs.

Also, you mention people asking for IPads (or some form of tablet PC) and televisions. There are rare cases when these can be justified. There are a wide range of disabilities and even those people with the same disability will not have indentical needs. That said, I do think some of those threads you've read are not serious. Created by trolls/people with duplicate accounts who are just trying to make fun of those who do claim certain equipment or try and justify expensive equipment that most others won't get.

Some people might ask for a band like an Ipod or Ipad. But that doesn't mean they're doing it to be fashionable. The big names are well known. People might just be ignorant of the cheaper and less well known alternatives.

In my experience few students are out to deliberately cheat or bleed the system. THey aren't interested in fasion or little extras. They just want the support they need and that is all. Some students even feel comfortable asking for this support let alone asking for more.

Anyway, you shouldn't have any trouble in getting a PDA, voice recorder (not an Ipod which I know you don't want), any related computer software like mind mapping software and study skills support.
You might also be able to claim money for photocopying and books.

There might be additional things but it really depends on your own needs. You'll have to explain why you think you need a laptop when you have desktop at home. You've said you need a laptop but I don't think you've said why.

Other forms of suport will be discussed eg. proofreading, exam concessions (eg. extra time) and extended library loans. But these need to be discussed and arranged with the university also.

Why? Simply because he has a working PC at home (as you later said)?

In my opinion, and from several other assessors, if the function of the PDA was purely for organisation, then there are cheaper alternatives on the laptop than using a PDA. Also, given in this day and age most students have mobile phones capable of this, I don't feel it's a requirement.

DSA expenditure has to be justifiable. In this case, I don't think it would be.
Reply 8
Taiko
In my opinion, and from several other assessors, if the function of the PDA was purely for organisation, then there are cheaper alternatives on the laptop than using a PDA.

Yes, there are a wide range of programmes available on a laptop to serve the same function (manage and store contacts and time management). Some of them free.

But whenever I am in a tutorial it is impractical to take a laptop out of a bag and start it up just because I need to update some information (ie. add the time for the next tutorial, make a note of what I need to read, add contact details of other students I need to do a presentation with*). It can be made all the more difficult in certain rooms when tables aren't provided meaning I'm crammed into a small room, with eight other people, and a laptop resting on my lap. Being dyspraxic I'm probably likely to drop the laptop/knock it over. It's no good to me if the laptop is smashed on the floor.

*I admit that some, although not all, of this information will be recorded by a dictaphone anyway so I can always listen to it later when at home and update my laptop/desktop.

If I'm at the disability service or anywhere else when an appointment needs to be made it's difficult to get the laptop out of by bag there and then to make an appointment.

This is the reason why PDAs are given. They might not always be justifiable but I still feel they have an important role to play for many. Even those who do have laptops.

Also, given in this day and age most students have mobile phones capable of this, I don't feel it's a requirement.

Yes. But it shouldn't be assumed this is the case. I certainly don't (I do have an mp3 player but information needs to be inputted through a computer).

If a student is entitled to a PDA or laptop, then why should a dictaphone be given? Both are perfectly capable of recording lectures and tutorials with a microphone.

DSA expenditure has to be justifiable. In this case, I don't think it would be.

Of course it needs to be justifiable. I point I make many times. But I really don't think it's possible. But I think in many cases a PDA is justifiable. It is small, easy to carry around, to edit information and convenient in general.

I've actually found my PDA particularly useful when it comes to finding books in the library. Instead of using a piece of a paper (with names of books) I can have my reading list/module handbook as a word document on my PDA. It's far easier to read and makes the whole process of finding books I need easier. If you can find anything like that in any library, especially Durham's (a very frustrating library) then that's an added bonus. It isn't its primary role and I wouldn't expect a student to be given one for this purpose alone but it's still useful.

Even outisde the library having a portable reading list is useful eg. when meeing with an academic to discuss reading/directed reading.

Justifying a laptop, especially if there's a perfectly good desktop at home, will be tricky and I wouldn't blame an assessor for rejecting a
Reply 9
I know its this will prolly be disageed upon but my pc at home is serving my 5 children and my wife who is also a student, so i feel a laptop that i take away from the bustle on the family enviroment is completly justified, i wouldnt asked for a PDA i just wondered why i may need one and i think my IPOD touch or my HTC hero would serve my needs for that. heres a further question then

one of my reasons for asking for the MACBook was because with my dyslexia i cannot read white text on a black backgrounds, (chalkboards at scool killed me) so i need a laptop with a white keyboard or a light colour background with dark text, also i need a clear deffinition between keys somehting macs have, i would be happy to take a windows laptop that has these features but other than sony viaos i am not aware of any unless people can suggest some, also i would need a a reasonable sized screen 10" or less is too difficult for me to read text as i need a decent resolution of clarity of text. so can anyone advise of weather any laptops out there cater to my needs (even if i end up paying myself) and will my needs assesment allow to to requet for a keyboar di can read in classes?

doing HNC computing.
Reply 10
Just did a quick google search and came up with stickers that you can put over keyboard keys. Would this sort of thing help?

http://onlineshop.rnib.org.uk/display_item.asp?n=11&c=0&sc=0&id=3408&it=1&l=3
haritori
I know its this will prolly be disageed upon but my pc at home is serving my 5 children and my wife who is also a student, so i feel a laptop that i take away from the bustle on the family enviroment is completly justified, i wouldnt asked for a PDA i just wondered why i may need one and i think my IPOD touch or my HTC hero would serve my needs for that. heres a further question then

one of my reasons for asking for the MACBook was because with my dyslexia i cannot read white text on a black backgrounds, (chalkboards at scool killed me) so i need a laptop with a white keyboard or a light colour background with dark text, also i need a clear deffinition between keys somehting macs have, i would be happy to take a windows laptop that has these features but other than sony viaos i am not aware of any unless people can suggest some, also i would need a a reasonable sized screen 10" or less is too difficult for me to read text as i need a decent resolution of clarity of text. so can anyone advise of weather any laptops out there cater to my needs (even if i end up paying myself) and will my needs assesment allow to to requet for a keyboar di can read in classes?

doing HNC computing.

For my undergrad degree a few years ago, I got given a desktop that was capable of all that and more. The keyboard had contrasting stickers for the keys, in my case black on yellow, mouse was also an adapted one. Desktop had a 21 inch tft monitor which could also accommodate different coloured backgrounds and contrasts. For what you need, sounds like the macbook would be a luxury as a desktop or laptop can be provided with all those features. .
exactly
Reply 13
Yes of course its a luxury but like i said i will pay towards or all of the value of it, stickers sound good but i imagine them rubbing off or falling off and also i need each key to be spaced and not connected my reading of keybaords is not good at the best of times, and i need a laptop based computer as i need to get away from the house to study.

but thx for ideas guys, but any ideas of laptops with white keys with diffeined spaces between each key would be liked here, like i say ill pay myself im not init to con the assesement.

i find it funny how so many people defend the expense of spending on here i have worked for 25 years! i have paid my fair share of tax and NI into the pot, even if i got the full £5000 i would be even touching what i have paid into the government, i wont feel guilty for asking, like i said though if `they` feel its unreasonable then they will not pay nothing gained nothing lost, so if i and the assessor and the DSA feel me asking for a MACBOOK is OK, then im sure i wont lose any sleep that some people on here dont. id spend my time studing rather than pointing out its ?imoral, indecent, wrong? to ask for things?
Reply 14
There are lots of types of adapted keyboard, aimed at disabled people with various impairments. There will be one that works for you. You may be right that the Mac is the one you need, but the assessor will have encountered all kinds of students with all kinds of conditions, and will know what to recommend. I have an extremely rare condition, and assumed the assessor would have no idea what would help. I was pleasantly surprised and everything she suggested has made a huge difference to my ability to study effectively.

Each assessment is different and they *will* take your individual needs into account. There is no ban on any item, but everything has to be medically justified. Just go in and see what they can offer you. You may be surprised by what they can suggest and it will all be helpful to you.
Reply 15
Thx seska, first resonable comment i have received.

:-)

unlike 99% of hypocriticaljap`s comments where he seems to point out the budgeting for local councils DSA services, seesh does he work for them lol.
No, I just seek value for the tax payer and protection from freeloading chancers.
Reply 17
hypocriticaljap
No, I just seek value for the tax payer and protection from freeloading chancers.

and who are you to do that, what authority do you have to do that, who appointed you to do that?

are part of a local authority, are you employed by the LEA or DSA or are you an Assessor? you appear to undermne all those taht work in the departments mentioned can they not do their jobs by assessing and financing stsudents correctly with out your forum based comments?

it seems to me you like to troll these pages making comment on basically every thread with very little intention of helping but you like to shine your pedanticism and matter of fact upon all who actually seek genuine advice, well sir i care not for your moral critism on the basis of what you think is right, of course you have an opinion and a right to express it and i would fight tooth and nail to protect your right to express it, but i dont feel it has any basis upon anything, anymore more than your sense of self righteuosness. :woo:
Reply 18
Taxes are paid to support people like us. I paid taxes for ten years before claiming Disabled Students' Allowance. Furthermore, any money I make after my studies will have a premium as a result of the government's spending on me through DSA, and I will therefore pay good rates of tax again. Because disabled people are taxpayers too. Yes, yes we are. Despite various nasty myths to the contrary, of all kinds.

And no one can accuse *anyone* of freeloading unless they are a qualified assessor. There is no need for anyone on this thread to 'put people off' applying or anything like that. Assessors are well trained (and LEAs demand detailed medical evidence of DSA needs) and would spot freeloaders a mile away. They're the ones paid to ensure taxes aren't wasted, and they do their job admirably. Those who think their role is to protect the taxpayer would get further doing so at their local bank, perhaps. They should certainly stop reading the Daily Mail.

- Seska, MA Disability Studies
Reply 19
I have real and intense organisational, mood, social and anxiety difficulties. I am bipolar with suspected ADHD, waiting on an assessment to diagnose the latter. I have also been diagnosed with bpd but I dispute that, I believe that I have been misdiagnosed and have instead undiagnosed ADHD. As anyone with mental health problems knows, it takes a lot of time and fighting to be seen and diagnosed, let alone given any support, within the NHS. I applied for funding for an ADHD assessment via the Access to Learning Fund but was turned down as they dont consider ADHD a learning disability and therefore do not consider that a diagnosis would make any difference to my studies. I believe they are wrong on this but theres nothing I can do about it other than wait for as long as it takes for the NHS to see me, as I dont have the finances for a private assessment.

So. I do get a DSA and have received a laptop as part of that at the beginning of my course (I am in my third year of a six year pt OU degree). It is not practical to imagine that I have my laptop on and on my lap 24/7. That is the difference between a PDA and a laptop. I would use a PDA as a memory aid (my short term memory is bad, especially when I am hyperactive), as an organisational tool so that I can get my coursework in on time and organise my revision, and therefore help to quiet my anxiety some. My anxiety is no small issue - it can be completely paralysing. When my extreme moods or anxiety is triggered I am not even able to remember or move myself to do basic things like eat.

Unfortunately one of the biggest triggers of this anxiety is deadlines and exams. I go to pieces. I am unable to structure my time effectively to avoid triggering because of what I think is ADHD - I procrastinate, I find it difficult to focus, etc. This why I and my assessor requested a PDA. Its all very well saying 'you have a laptop' but my problems exist 24/7, I need constant support. A laptop is where you do your work and your main organising/timetabling, a PDA is a set of alarms and memory aids in your pocket, on 24/7.

I was approved a PDA. Problem - PDAs are technologically obsolete. The recommended device, despite costing nearly as much as a new device, is totally out of date - several operating system generations behind what is currently available, and incompatible with the software I already use on my laptop. In particular, I have come to rely on Onenote, which is just about the best piece of software I have ever used in terms of my mental health issues, allowing me to gather everything in one place and try to keep track of it.

Since 2008 the Smartphone has superceded the PDA. This is a fact. However, despite having been allocated funding for the obsolete (for my purposes) PDA, I have been refused to instead purchase a smartphone. I dont even need the phone functions - I have an old mobile phone I use occasionally to talk and text, but I have problems communicating over the phone so its really more something I use for emergencies. I have a payasyougo sim card that I spend £5 on every three months - that is how little I use it. Im not after a smartphone for multimedia capabilities either - I can get into facebook etc even on my old phone, and I rarely do because I just dont need to. What I need is a PDA that is running a current OS and is therefore compatible with my pc software.

So I have been granted all this money for a PDA I cant use, and yet am apparently not allowed to use it to get one I can, simply because it will have a mobile phone function and is therefore viewed as a social device.

This is just crazy thinking on the part of the DSA regulations. Thats what Ive been told the problem is - DSA regulations allow PDAs but not smartphones. I cant find where this regulation is written, whether it is national guidelines or specific to the OU. But as rules go, it seems crazy to be prepared to spend money on an old device that is, as I say, several generations of operating system out of date, but not be prepared to spend the same money on any of the systems that have replaced it. This can only be about a bigoted ideology - the idea that disabled people are scroungers looking to blag some free stuff. There is no logic to this 'regulation' - it only has validity if you believe that people who are disabled are blaggers who cant be trusted.

Ive sent in an email to appeal, but it really bugged me seeing an assessor on this thread suggesting that there is no good reason for a pda. There are good reasons. A pda and a laptop are two entirely different devices. Someone who needs constant support via alarms, memory aids etc will of course benefit from use of a pda. You dont honestly expect us to have our computers always on and always with us? And the other way, you dont expect us to do our coursework on a pda? It is blatantly obvious that these devices offer different capabilities and are used in different ways, but that they can collaborate (through compatible software) to create a more whole system.

No 'most students' do not have mobile phones that can do what a pda does. Where is the evidence for this statement? Taiko - You make your decision from an unevidenced assumption. If a student already has a mobile device which has pda capabilities, why on earth would they or their assessor request another? It makes no logical sense - unless youre assuming theyre just on the blag. Is that the case??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending