The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
01kij114
Theres the social issues to deal with when been a police officer.

I've come across a number of divorced or between relationships police officers. Not sure if they have a higher burn out rate for relationships or just bad luck with those guys I know.
Op has got his facts a little muddled. Starting pay for a police officer is 22k.

See e.g. http://www.policeoracle.com/pay_and_conditions/police_pay_scales.html.

It is higher in the Met and is 32k after training. But, unless I'm wrong, the Met hasn't been recruiting new constables for a number of years now: it isn't just because of the public finances. As far as I'm aware, you realistically need a number of years experience in another force or as a PCSO.

It is a really, really, really tough job. Hard work, requires plenty of diplomacy and restraint, people treat you like **** and take any mistakes you make extremely seriously. They earn every penny IMO.
Reply 42
Asheeers
Mods, this is a general discussion about police pay. Please do not move this as it is kind of generally discussing this matter. Thanks

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine and we were discussing different career paths and what not. I have been interested in joining the police for a long time and it definitely appeals to a lot of people.

Googled this, and was quite suprised by the results:

1. Metropolitan Police Pay & Benefits

* £28,605 on commencing service
* £31,176 on completion of initial 31 weeks' training
* £32,610 after two years' probationer training.

Along with free travel, a government pension and interesting work.

Now, compare this to someone who has just qualified from university - the average grad job is around 25k in London??

So effectively saying that anyone who is quite smart and determined can finish his a-levels and join the police, then be on 31k a year. but people who go to university and incur all this debt will only be, on 25k, let's say (also giving up 3+ years of their life)

This seems quite suprising to me - I am not slagging anyone off but it really makes joining the police an interesting option. Discuss :smile:

Life is not all about money. I am leaving my job which paid me £30,000+ pa and a subsidized (£120 pcm) three bed flat in London Victoria (actual rent approx £5000 pcm). I am going back to uni to study Civil Engineering. What is most important is job satisfaction and happiness.
Can't believe grads hold themselves in such high regard

it's called work, and it's from the real world

No-one gives a **** what useless subject you've been studying, whilst skimping out on your labour duties

Consider yourselves lucky we have Eastern Europeans to serve us kebabs
Reply 44
You don't necessarily need a degree to become a police officer and I suppose you would get a lot of job satisfaction out of your work - obviously there are dangers but if you went somewhere e.g. Kent, maybe there would be a smaller chance of getting harassed/attacked. This is a generalization as I don't know much about Kent :biggrin:
Reply 45
People who have "just qualified" and went to University purely because they thought they would get a better job can get tae ****. £30k is a very good wage but considering the work the police do, its well earned.

If you want even better, join the PSNI. A degree fast tracks you.
Why the hell would you want to join the police. People will hate you.
Those figures are for london where its very expensive to live, in my area (west midlands), starting is more like 18k, in no way is it a high paying job, and you do require some training/work so its not like you just land in 30k paying job or 18-22k in my area.
Reply 48
mart2306
I've come across a number of divorced or between relationships police officers. Not sure if they have a higher burn out rate for relationships or just bad luck with those guys I know.

I was thinking more of how friends and family treat you. And when you meet new people how wary of you they are, when they hear your a copper.
Reply 49
01kij114
I was thinking more of how friends and family treat you. And when you meet new people how wary of you they are, when they hear your a copper.

On the other hand, when was the last time you heard of a copper being mugged, or a copper being burgled, or a copper being raped......

Saying that, there are some dumb people around. My brother is a police special.
One evening they were doing spot checks on cars going down a road, pulled one car over solely for one faulty light. Driver then pulled a knife on 6 coppers........
So a friendly warning become a beating up followed by arrest.
Reply 50
Numberone-outkast
Those figures are for london where its very expensive to live, in my area (west midlands), starting is more like 18k, in no way is it a high paying job, and you do require some training/work so its not like you just land in 30k paying job or 18-22k in my area.

Then again our average wage is only around £18k.
With a bit of experience still some £25k starting jobs around in west midlands.
Asheeers
Well, I suppose the police are starting to be more selective now. Obviously they will not employ some random chav off the street who wants a bit of power - I think you have a good chance if you have good grades and are determined.

Definitely something I will consider when I'm older.

Not true. You don't actually need ANY qualifications to join the police, although they may offer you some learning programs once you join.
Being a Copper in London would not be soemthing I could do - way too much hassle and there is a lot of blue tape.

In terms of pay - the main issue with the police is that its probably harder to go up the ranks in pay than it would be for a grad in say finace or medicine.
Reply 53
I've always been interested in joining the police, but I want to go to uni... So if i joined the police after I'd kinda feel like I wasted 3/4 years of my life. The money is pretty awesome, but then some of them will get into dangerous situations (which could be fun), knowing my luck, if I joined, I'd have to do traffic control or something else snoreworthy
wookymon
I routinely state what I believe to be true.

so even if you have no basis for that statement

I suggest you look at the Daily Mail's website comments on the death of Ian Tomlinson. What I've stated is nothing compared to what you'll read there..and that's a conservative readership!
Here's the link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1296793/G20-policeman-escapes-charges-death-Ian-Tomlinson-protests.html The top rated comment states, "No longer public servants but licensed thugs that can literally get away with murder"
Another Mail headline was "Another whitewash"..
Don't forget to tell the Mail it's "inaccurate and libellous" (which it isn't)..d'oh!

You are talking about the daily mail there, a newspaper which isn't even fit to be used as a litter tray liner

histrionics and inaccuracy are hallmarks of the Heily Heil's journalistic history

And no, I speak what I believe to be the truth about anything I wish to. And no, I've never applied, or been rejected by the police..(!)
And there are NO entry qualifications.
I can't believe I've bothered even replying to you...

are you deliberately trolling are are you that hard of understanding , you fail to acknowledge and appreciate that the police have their own comprehensive assessment process for applicants which tests numeracy, literacy and comprehension as well as physical fitness and scenario and competency based assessments....

you also fail to acknowledge and appreciate that many officers do have level 3 or HE qualifications even if they aren't on the HPDS
Reply 55
It's a tough job and selection is very competitive. In my area when they were recruiting, there was 15 applicants for every place.

But yeah, if anyone wants to join the police over the next 3 or 4 years they might as well think again thanks to the ConDem government.
Reply 56
Teveth
It's a tough job and selection is very competitive. In my area when they were recruiting, there was 15 applicants for every place.

But yeah, if anyone wants to join the police over the next 3 or 4 years they might as well think again thanks to the ConDem government.

Yeah stupid government trying to dig us out of the mess Labour and the poor got us into.
3MissUnderstood3
Not true. You don't actually need ANY qualifications to join the police, although they may offer you some learning programs once you join.

no but you do need to pass the selection process , in a pool with lots of applicants who have one or more ( or even all ) of the following

1. level 3 or higher qualifications

2. experience in other public facing employment

3. experience in other uniformed services

4. relevant voluntary experience
Serco DLR roughly pay the same...
Reply 59
Elipsis
Yeah stupid government trying to dig us out of the mess Labour and the poor got us into.

"..And the poor"? Err, what?

Labour didn't get us into a mess, the global recession did. The deficit should be delt with mostly through tax rises, not with damaging public sector cuts.

Latest

Trending

Trending