The Student Room Group

graduate jobs 2024

When is the best time to apply for accountancy grad schemes like ACA/ACCA? If i apply to early would it mean I am more likely to get rejected or should I wait a bit?
Reply 1
Basically you want to be ready to apply to grad schemes as soon as they open - likely September. All things being equal you probably have a better chance applying early so long as you are appropriately prepared to do so.
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
Basically you want to be ready to apply to grad schemes as soon as they open - likely September. All things being equal you probably have a better chance applying early so long as you are appropriately prepared to do so.

Thank you, what do you believe I should be doing to prepare. I wanted to buy a test package but didn't know which would be best for my money worth?
Reply 3
Original post by gradjobs789
Thank you, what do you believe I should be doing to prepare. I wanted to buy a test package but didn't know which would be best for my money worth?

In terms of what to do as at now (end of May) looking to apply in early Sept:

- check how your academic grades line up with different firms requirements
- how much work experience and extra curriculars do you have to help show competencies? The answer to this may guide your activities over the summer.

I would visit the university careers centre before paying for test packages as they probably have sample tests you can take plus advice to offer.
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000

Hi sorry I'm a bit new to this, so people should apply in September or the grad scheme begins in September? Thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by minatonin
Hi sorry I'm a bit new to this, so people should apply in September or the grad scheme begins in September? Thanks!

Its best to assume that grad schemes starting in Sept 24 will start recruitment in Sept 23. Many will open later but you need to be ready to get cracking.
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
In terms of what to do as at now (end of May) looking to apply in early Sept:

- check how your academic grades line up with different firms requirements
- how much work experience and extra curriculars do you have to help show competencies? The answer to this may guide your activities over the summer.

I would visit the university careers centre before paying for test packages as they probably have sample tests you can take plus advice to offer.

Thank you for this. I'm currently at Uni of Notts, my current average is quite a high first, could change after second semester exams finish.I do have work experiences but I was thinking about volunteering at a charity shop. I do have a paid research internship at the uni focusing on student engagement. However. it is not very relevant to my future aims. I just think I may not have the right skills that the jobs are looking for?
Reply 7
Thank you for this. I'm currently at Uni of Notts, my current average is quite a high first, could change after second semester exams finish.I do have work experiences but I was thinking about volunteering at a charity shop. I do have a paid research internship at the uni focusing on student engagement. However. it is not very relevant to my future aims. I just think I may not have the right skills that the jobs are looking for?

Could you expand a little on your work experiences to date?

For example - working in a supermarket during term time 10 hours a week for 2 years?

- Summer job in a restaurant - full time paid for 3 months?
Reply 8
Original post by ajj2000
Could you expand a little on your work experiences to date?

For example - working in a supermarket during term time 10 hours a week for 2 years?

- Summer job in a restaurant - full time paid for 3 months?

Nothing like the ones above. By work experience i mean general ones at like care homes for 1 week. I have not done an actual full/part time job before.
Reply 9
Nothing like the ones above. By work experience i mean general ones at like care homes for 1 week. I have not done an actual full/part time job before.

Sorry - I missed the reply. Serious advice - try to do a solid 3 months work this summer ideally at the same place. You want to err towards work which allows you to respond to competency questions such as:

- examples of taking guidance from your manager
- conflicts with manager/ team members
- working in a team

etc, etc - working in a cafe or supermaket can be very good for this (in my opinion much better than most accountancy based work experience would be).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending